Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096311
    Sage
    I'm resigned to the fact that Ponder was chosen to be our franchise qb and first day starter.

Sage would be a good choice as backup and may return now that Chilly is gone.

Problem is, we would have to give up a player or a draft choice to get him. And even worse, we overpaid him last time he was here. I doubt he'd come back for less.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1096553
    Did anyone see 'Path To The Draft' yesterday?

They had an interview with Frazier that mostly discussed the decision to take Ponder.

They showed a clip of the war room on draft day. Spielman was on the phone talking to Ponder and telling him he was going to be a Minnesota Viking.
    Then it showed Fraziers reaction to getting Ponder. He appeared very very happy to be getting Ponder.
    I suspect Ponder may have been Frazier's choice all along.

I was also pleased to see how happy Ponder appeared when he arrived at Winter park.

There appears to be some good chemistry there.
    Was glued to the set. B)

I sure hope he was Leslie's choice, but my guess is our O-Coord and QB coach convinced Leslie that he was the right choice, atleast behind the other two they were looking at so hard.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1096554
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096311
    Sage
    I'm resigned to the fact that Ponder was chosen to be our franchise qb and first day starter.

Sage would be a good choice as backup and may return now that Chilly is gone.

Problem is, we would have to give up a player or a draft choice to get him. And even worse, we overpaid him last time he was here. I doubt he'd come back for less.
    He's probably still on Ricky Boys radar.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096555

They had an interview with Frazier that mostly discussed the decision to take Ponder.

They showed a clip of the war room on draft day. Spielman was on the phone talking to Ponder and telling him he was going to be a Minnesota Viking.
    Then it showed Fraziers reaction to getting Ponder. He appeared very very happy to be getting Ponder.

I was also pleased to see how happy Ponder appeared when he arrived at Winter park.

Was glued to the set. B)

I sure hope he was Leslie's choice, but my guess is our O-Coord and QB coach convinced Leslie that he was the right choice, atleast behind the other two they were looking at so hard.
    I think you are right. Frazier and Musgrave have a plan for the offensive direction they would like to pursue. Ponder fits that style of offense, as does Rudolph. It will be a power running game with a horizontal passing attack. I'm quite excited by the concept.

Prior to the draft they said they meticulously evaluated 9 QB's, spending a day and a half with each in addition to combine and pro days. They said they had it narrowed down to a couple.

I sense Ponder may have been one of them. Frazier was certainly happy to get him.Like he got the toy he wanted for Christmas!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

We'll probably never know how they had them ranked, but it sure looked like they got their guy! I'm a big fan of the intangibles at QB and the fit seems to be there...IF we get lucky on the injury bug there, he could be a steal!

I'd also forgotten about signing that CFL WR, and I just saw we got some KR/PR experience in that last pick too. Maybe we're not completely screwed at that position if Rice leaves...?

For a vet QB I kinda like the sound of a Seneca Wallace or Billy Volek type. Good backup with experience in multiple systems who has some potential to start, but won't be too pissed if he ends up 2nd string around mid season. Holmgren runs a WCO eh? Did they resign Seneca in CLE?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1096558

Was glued to the set. B)

I think you are right. Frazier and Musgrave have a plan for the offensive direction they would like to pursue. Ponder fits that style of offense, as does Rudolph. It will be a power running game with a horizontal passing attack. I'm quite excited by the concept.

Prior to the draft they said they meticulously evaluated 9 QB's, spending a day and a half with each in addition to combine and pro days. They said they had it narrowed down to a couple.

I sense Ponder may have been one of them. Frazier was certainly happy to get him.Like he got the toy he wanted for Christmas!
    Excellent post Doc.

I had the QB's rated Gabbert, Locker, Dalton. Didn't even have Ponder in my sites.

Now that he's been picked, and I've done some extra research on him, I realllllllly realllllly realllly like the kid and can see why, from a distance, that the staff is so happy with him regardless of were the rest of the world projected him.

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1096561
    We'll probably never know how they had them ranked, but it sure looked like they got their guy! I'm a big fan of the intangibles at QB and the fit seems to be there...IF we get lucky on the injury bug there, he could be a steal!

I'd also forgotten about signing that CFL WR, and I just saw we got some KR/PR experience in that last pick too. Maybe we're not completely screwed at that position if Rice leaves...?

For a vet QB I kinda like the sound of a Seneca Wallace or Billy Volek type. Good backup with experience in multiple systems who has some potential to start, but won't be too pissed if he ends up 2nd string around mid season. Holmgren runs a WCO eh? Did they resign Seneca in CLE?
    I liked Wallace as an option as well. Been a backup before and has come in and won from the bench. Fits the scheme as well.

Not sure about the Browns signing him. They might have, for all the same reasons, just haven't heard that.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Obviously that call was made during or just after the 12th pick was made, after the first 3 QB's were already off the board. At that point, Ponder was next on their QB chart. Obviously Spielman wouldn't be chatting to any of the 3 QB's already taken at the time of their pick.

It doesn't mean Ponder was their 1st choice at the beginning of the draft, it just means Ponder was their choice when the 12th pick came around. They got who they wanted at that point, but we also know they didn't want to take him at 12. Thus the Vikings attempt to trade their 12th pick & slide further down the draft.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096567
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1096558

Was glued to the set. B)

Excellent post Doc.

I had the QB's rated Gabbert, Locker, Dalton. Didn't even have Ponder in my sites.

Now that he's been picked, and I've done some extra research on him, I realllllllly realllllly realllly like the kid and can see why, from a distance, that the staff is so happy with him regardless of were the rest of the world projected him.
    Do you think they had him rated above Locker? I would guess they weren't expecting Gabbert to be available. When he got close, they looked to be scrambling to try to pick him up. Just wondering if he was 2 or 3 on their list. Not that it matters as he is ours now. Hope they can do a good job developing him. He has got the tools. I have no doubt they will do a better job developing their guy than the last staff did.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Like it or not, the Vikings' long-awaited answer h

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/121459978.html
    Two weeks ago, the biggest question was, simply put, who’s going to be the Vikings’ quarterback?

Minnesota needs to start Ponder now and forget any notion about delaying the Ponder-era. Bringing in Donovan McNabb or Carson Palmer or Alex Smith isn’t going to change the fact that Ponder was the 12th pick in the draft and will be sitting there waiting. Yes, you want a winning and productive quarterback, no matter who it may be. But if a veteran comes in and wins, then this No. 12 pick could have easily been an impact defensive player that could have boosted a unit needing life at the moment.

Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast