Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

I think we all know the answer is to get Favre back for one more year. He knows the offense and can be a mentor too.
    With the start streak over I think Favre might even be willing to ride the pine if asked.

Seriously though, the more I think about it the more I think that if there was ever a case where a team could know the QB they drafted would start week 1 this is it. Everything points in that direction.
    He comes from a very similar offense.
    Strong running game.
    Strong defense.
    Joe Webb can run a wild cat to take pressure off.
    Smart accurate QB
    Nobody better avaialable
    The only strike against it is the lockout, but I'm pretty sure that will be over very soon.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1096278
    [strike]I think we all know the answer is to get Favre back for one more year. He knows the offense and can be a mentor too.
    With the start streak over I think Favre might even be willing to ride the pine if asked. [/strike]Seriously though, the more I think about it the more I think that if there was ever a case where a team could know the QB they drafted would start week 1 this is it. Everything points in that direction.
    He comes from a very similar offense.
    Strong running game.
    Strong defense.
    Joe Webb can run a wild cat to take pressure off.
    Smart accurate QB
    Nobody better avaialable
    The only strike against it is the lockout, but I'm pretty sure that will be over very soon.
    Banish the thought my friend. We are just starting to get back to the old PPO type of discussions again.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Throwing my 2-cent hat into the ring here...

I am excited. I was 100% behind Ponder the second his name was called, and it was mainly because 1) our team NEEDED a long-term answer at QB, and 2) with the success we've had with our 1st round picks for the last few years, that means our Front Office puts more than their fair share of due diligence into researching who they want. (sorry for the run-on)

First, we hear that Frazier wants Ponder to start Week One...now there's another post that says the Vikings want a vet to compete with Ponder. My guess is that they're expecting the lock-out to drag on, and hinder any offseason activities that could give Ponder a jump-start on his learning curve.

In a perfect offseason, I'd want Ponder to start Week One, and let the chips fall where they may. However, since he's not getting the usual amount of attention, practice, and/or training he'd normally get, I don't really have an issue with bringing a veteran in to help with the learning process.

I'm not wild about Kevin Kolb or Vince Young, because I think their main focus would be on making themselves look good for the next team after us, and not tutoring Ponder for next year. Aside from that, Young has too much baggage on him anyway...and that's the LAST thing this team needs, is a QB who brings negative press.

Who are some other options? Hasselbeck? Palmer? Garcia? Frerotte? Johnson?

Just tossing names out there...anyone else?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'd say Garcia Frerotte and Johnson (assuming brad) are done. Not a chance in hell. Palmer is likely not an option.

Hasselbeck will be a FA, and can still play.

Other options mentioned in another thread are:
    Billy Volek
    Give two firsts for a franchised peyton Manning
    Seneca Wallace
    Marc Bulger
    Chad Pennington
    Kerry Collins

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1096216
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096204
    Bob Sansevere: Critics of Vikings draft pick Christian Ponder may be the ones reaching

http://www.twincities.com/ci_17978606?source=most_viewed
    :laugh: Good read, and so true!
    The guys who keep calling Ponder a reach is the same guys who praised the draft of JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young. I Loved the tittle!
    wrong.
    That exact same argument could be made about any player drafted, Had we taken Stanzi or Dalton or Mallet at that spot. Of course we don't know how it will turn out, but the experts are pretty good at grading picks and are usually fairly close to what team scouts end up with.

I think optimism and excitement would have been equally high had we taken any of the other Qb's available. Probably even higher had we gotten one of the top rated guys like Gabbert or Locker.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Sage

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Behind the numbers: How does Christian Ponder stack up with Brett Favre?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2011/05/behind-the-numbers-how-does-christian-ponder-stack-up-with-brett-favre.html

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

The more I look at this draft, the more I like it! We were in a hard place with 3 QBs off the board and none anywhere near ready to start an NFL game remaining by our next pick. We got the smartest, most NFL style offense experienced guy who sounds to be the best fit for what we're planning to do on offense. Not Bad! He looks natural and smooth in both his drops and throws, including on the move inside and outside the pocket. Most important, the work ethic, will to win and intelligence are there!

This guy could end up being better than the ones drafted in front of him and finally fix our QB issue long term. Add in the lack of Free Agency and I feel we did a great job considering what we had to work with. We still need an upgrade for Bomar, but don't have to spend big bucks on a McNabb as well.

Getting a first round potential, top overall TE with our 2nd fits exactly what I was thinking when I was pining after Julio. A big target who likes to and is effective blocking AND a serious redzone threat. With Shank and Kleiny's contracts ending, it also sets us up for the future. Great Pick and Great Value!

Christian Ballard could be considered another steal!? Graded a round 1 or 2 pick who has experience and size to play DT and LDE, he fell to us in the 4th due to failing a drug test. Its just a lil smoke, so hopefully he'll figure out how to clean up and/or quit since playing football pays the bills. He backs us up if we decide big mouth (Ray) gets to go, AND fits one of Spielman's predraft comments about a big man with room to possibly grow into DT. 6'4" 285 lbs!

Then, in a surprisingly brilliant move, we anticipate no Undrafted Free Agency and snagged all those later round picks for just one 5th!! That could pay off big time!

In Burton and Mistral we got 2 guys with special teams experience who both have the size and speed to possibly, someday even develop into decent starters in our often injury-ravaged and under-performing secondary. With Love and Fusco we get two big men with a mean streak for the running game who are both multi-position experienced! Fusco was the 4th rated Center on the cbs list and Love backs us up if Loadholt can't get his poop-in-a-group! Two guys who give us depth at C, OG, and RT!

Homan called all the plays for the top end Ohio defense last season showing smarts to help him make up for his slight lack of ideal size/speed. Could be a special teams demon and potential steal if he ends up pushing for Leber's spot.

2010 (72 tackles, two for loss, two forced fumbles). An instinctive and tough football player, teams not concerned about size will project him as a valuable swing outside linebacker capable of being a top reserve and spot starter.
    Tho a bit of a tweener who may project better as a 3-4 OLB, Reed is another guy with Left DE experience. We like a big rotation of DL guys to keep them fresh and attacking, so depth is always nice to have. Reed pulled off 30 reps on the bench, so would seem to have the strength to contain vs. the run.

Wow. Sidenote: It is certainly starting to look like Ray's spot has been covered...wonder if that flips our priority Free Agent over to Sydney!?

Stephen Burton looks like another potential steal. Great size and built like a brick shit house...another Julio without quite the top end speed? He ran smooth and fast through the 3 cone drill and seemed to have real soft hands catching all but one ball while running the guantlet. Senior season he halled in 70+ passes for over 1000 yards and 11 TDs! Nice Work!!

OK, so I realize my shades are always a lil purple, but really, we addressed nearly every need on my list and almost always with a guy who had the talent to go earlier but had slipped a lil. Although our hands were forced a lil in the first, we made up for it by getting true BPA type value to fill needs later. Like Coach Frazier said, "we upgraded competition at a lot of positions."

SKOL VIKINGS CLASS OF 2011!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May they sing glories of your deeds ON Field for years and years and years!!! SKOL!!!!!!!!

B) :P :woohoo:
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

After the draft: Will Ponder stack up?

As we prognosticated last week, the Vikings reached on a QB in the first round........

http://www.avclub.com/twincities/articles/after-the-draft-will-ponder-stack-up,55617/

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Did anyone see 'Path To The Draft' yesterday?

They had an interview with Frazier that mostly discussed the decision to take Ponder.

They showed a clip of the war room on draft day. Spielman was on the phone talking to Ponder and telling him he was going to be a Minnesota Viking.
    Then it showed Fraziers reaction to getting Ponder. He appeared very very happy to be getting Ponder.
    I suspect Ponder may have been Frazier's choice all along.

I was also pleased to see how happy Ponder appeared when he arrived at Winter park.

There appears to be some good chemistry there.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast