Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Strengths
    A prototype quarterback. Has ideal height, weight, arm-strength, and natural athletic ability that you look for in an NFL quarterback. Very good accuracy. Excellent play-action pass fakes. Has some escape ability and above-average pocket awareness. Makes decisions in the pocket very quickly; and if he doesn't see anyone open, he tucks and runs. Before the injury he had a cannon of an arm. Puts just enough touch on the ball to keep it catchable for his receivers. A natural leader and just gets it done on the field.
    Weaknesses
    One of the first things you notice about Ponder is a "lazy release." He doesn't step into his throws well enough at times, and he sometimes relies too much on his arm alone to cover the distance. That became a real problem in 2010, when his arm was obviously not back yet to what it had been prior to the shoulder surgery. Needs to do a better job of planting his feet before he throws, as he's often times caught throwing off his heels. Sometimes thinks he can do more than he should. Will occasionally telegraph plays (see the B.C. game in 2010) and get picked. Deep ball floated in 2010. Shoulder must be checked out. May be maxed out. Safe pick with a low ceiling and high floor.
    Projection
    If he checks out fine medically and exhibits improving arm strength in the post-season, he could go as high as the 2nd round, but is more likely a 3-4th rounder at this stage.
    CDS
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Big C2 is offline Training Camp

I am not a QB expert but he is the QB I wanted. I agree it's a stretch at 12 but considering that Jacksonville traded ahead of us for Gabbert we had little choice but to take him now. I watched a little tape on Ponder and liked his pocket awareness and accuracy.

Happy we got the kid.
    None

well they made me happy and got a QB, except they didnt get THE QB. I was really hoping for Gabbert here but hopefully Ponder will surprise us.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1095130
    Spielmann on KFAN..

Q: Did he grade out 12 or higher on your board
    A: He graded out very well on our draft board.

Q: Why did you pick him at 12
    A: With Miami and Washington now at 16, we wanted Ponder or Dalton and that was to much a risk

Q: Is the injury concers a problem
    A: No, we have no concerns.

Q: Did you like Mallett
    A: We had Dalton and Ponder higher

I think this will be podcast on KFAN.com later..

Basicly admitted it was a reach but they had to do it to get their guy.. Im fine with it, we got our guy.. We have our guy for the future.. Lets hope it works out..
    I don't like that he said ponder or dalton. If ponder is your guy why are you thinking about dalton. I hope they were decisive in thinking Ponder is our guy, not just the best QB available. I think they were targeting locker.
    Will be very interesting to see where Dalton goes.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

I don't subscribe to the "reach" comments for Ponder at 12. I've thought all along that Ponder or Dalton were Frazier type of QB's. Meaning, accurate, leaders, and dedicated. Frankly, they were the only two that actually fit that description. Mooch, Mayock, Gruden, and Steve Young (loathe him) liked the pick. So do I. He would not have been there for us in Rd 2, so, make the pick.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095128
    I guess everyone who thought we were gonna turn into the Atlanta Falcons version of the WCO instead of sticking with what this team was built to do, just got fooled didn't they.

At 12, I'm a bit upset, but overall, I like Ponder.

Works the shorter routes. Is mobile. Can throw a deep ball but has to work on it. I like him.

Resign Rice so he has that comfort blanket of a reciever with Percy underneath and we are set.
    I didn't think about Percy, combined with this guy's underneath route accuracy. That is deadly. And if we keep Rice, Sid isn't the fastest, so the guy doesn't need the biggest arm, he just needs to get it to the area, and Sid will take it in.

I didn't know he was MVP of the Senior Bowl. The more I find out about the pick, the happier I get. still, #12 was high, but as everyone has said, if he is the guy, and he plays like it, then he could be #1 for all I care. Just want a franchise QB.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

scraaaaazy is offline Waterboy

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Maybe Favre will come back for one more year so Ponder can learn a little and not get thrown into the fire. Sitting behind Favre for at least a year could be the answer and make the difference between success and failure for Ponder.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1095150
    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1095130
    Spielmann on KFAN..

Q: Did he grade out 12 or higher on your board
    A: He graded out very well on our draft board.

Q: Why did you pick him at 12
    A: With Miami and Washington now at 16, we wanted Ponder or Dalton and that was to much a risk

Q: Is the injury concers a problem
    A: No, we have no concerns.

Q: Did you like Mallett
    A: We had Dalton and Ponder higher

I think this will be podcast on KFAN.com later..

Basicly admitted it was a reach but they had to do it to get their guy.. Im fine with it, we got our guy.. We have our guy for the future.. Lets hope it works out..
    I don't like that he said ponder or dalton. If ponder is your guy why are you thinking about dalton. I hope they were decisive in thinking Ponder is our guy, not just the best QB available. I think they were targeting locker.
    Will be very interesting to see where Dalton goes.
    Yea the Dalton comment was dumb.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095134
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1095129
    Obviously this was THEIR guy ... and they didn't think he would be there at No. 43.

They HAVE to take him. They have no choice when it comes to a QB. But ... Ricky boy and Leslie have all joined in a circle with Ponder playing Ring Around The Rosey ... if it falls ... They all fall down.
    I agree Midg. Looks like took the full time so they were obviously trying to move down.

In the end, it had to be Ponder cause they could have moved up for Gabbert or Locker.

Lets hope Austin or Paea are there at 43.
    LMFAO! I bet it is eating you alive that Fairley was there and we did not take him. It was you that said he would not and don't lie and say you did not want him. When will you learn.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095128
    I guess everyone who thought we were gonna turn into the Atlanta Falcons version of the WCO instead of sticking with what this team was built to do, just got fooled didn't they.
    I agree totally Marr but face it. Mallett ans Stanzi were the only 2 that would let us do that and they went another direction so now we will have to see what they do with the WR and OL now because they are now going to have to do something with those beefy OT's.

At 12, I'm a bit upset, but overall, I like Ponder.
    Agreed. I would have rather that they traded back a few but then again who knows who might have then jumped ahead of us and took him. In the end you know I would have taken Prince and got Stanzi in the 2nd but I will live with this.

Works the shorter routes. Is mobile. Can throw a deep ball but has to work on it. I like him.
    He will have a shorter learning curve than Locker, Newton and maybe Gabbert so that will work to our advantage.

Resign Rice so he has that comfort blanket of a reciever with Percy underneath and we are set.
    I agree we might need to do that or pick up another vet like Chad Johnson but with a QB we now will have some leverage to go after a WR if we need one.

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast