Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

You know you reached according to the draftniks. Just accept the criticism and move on for now. He could be great, he just might suck, kinda like the 1st one took-- we will see.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096124
    The TJ experiment is over, the childress debacle is over and now we can get back to the reality that you know pretty quickly what you have in a QB.
    So.... Brees anybody?

320/526 60.8% 3,284yds 6.2avg 17td 16int 24sack 76.9 rate
    Brees' first full year as a starter. What does that tell you? Absolutely dick. Means you got a guy who can sling the rock, but nothing special

next year, a worse season. He didn't start playing well until year 4. He was picked in the top-32 teams. He was a guy you 'should' be able to start right away. But he wasn't.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096163
    The TJ experiment is over, the childress debacle is over and now we can get back to the reality that you know pretty quickly what you have in a QB.
    So.... Brees anybody?

Brees' first full year as a starter. What does that tell you? Absolutely dick. Means you got a guy who can sling the rock, but nothing special

next year, a worse season. He didn't start playing well until year 4. He was picked in the top-32 teams. He was a guy you 'should' be able to start right away. But he wasn't.
    He was practically Colt Brennan in college. Spread guy who had to get comfortable in an NFL system. Although I'd bet those numbers are close to as good as it gets for a first year starter. There was definitely regression in 2003.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

So.... Brees anybody?

Glad to see we finally made it back to the real subject of this discussion, i.e. how long you need to properly evaluate a QB's potential.

I'll just throw one more name out there, and a former Viking to boot. No stats as I am too tired to look them up just now, but this guy was strictly a journeyman for close to ten years before finally turning into a pro-bowl talent.

Rich Gannon, anyone?

It's a crap shoot. Always has been, always will be. You never know until you know, and even then sometimes you still don't know.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

[quote="singersp" #1096148]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1096144
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096141

Is it really safe to assume Atlanta had a better line than we do when they drafted Ryan? Weren't they like 2-14 the year before they drafted him?
    You do know they started Harrington that year don't you. Plus we have McKinnie & they don't.

I know there OL did a lot better job of protecting in 2008 than they did in 2007 with Vick gone. Was there a major change in lineman between 2007 & 2008? Don't know.

I do know we haven't successfully protected QB's without them getting injured & missing games since 2004. Considering where we drafted linemen in the draft, it's not safe to say there are new starters there.

Both Webb & Jackson are very mobile QB's & our OL still got them both injured.

Also look at Vick with the eagles and hell even with atlanta. He may be a great athlete but his pocket presence is horrible. ATL also got Sam Baker who did a great job as a rookie protecting his rookie QB. They had a hole at LT and fixed it that same year they got Ryan... We have mobile QBs who hold the ball to long leaving them susceptable to hits after the plays.
    None

[quote="singersp" #1096152]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096149
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096143

So now you are saying 8 starts is an experienced vet? Nice
    I said you were close. While 8 starts isn't what I'd like to see, 8 starts & a fourth year veteran probably at least allowed Sanchez to feel a bit more at ease than he would if he were a second year guy with two starts.

It's like what Culpepper was eluding to. Just the mere fact that a starting rookie QB knows there's a veteran backup QB on the sidelines that has his back & is capable of coming in if need be, takes a lot of the burden & pressure off the kids back & he's more at ease & relaxed.

Remember Bubby Brister? (Don't know how old you were in 2000) He was that veteran presence on the sideline the year Culpepper was handed the reins. Culpepper was at ease knowing he was on the sidelines & we went 11-5 & won the division.

The following year, Brister was let go, despite Culpepper lobbying to keep him and it mentally affected him & we went 5-11 that year.

Todd Bouman & Spergon Wynn were our new inexperienced backup & most of us Remember how that panned out. It rattled Culpepper because Brister was let go & it affected his game big time. Linehan had to be his psychiatrist & help him mentally.

The veteran backup presence on any team, serves a dual purpose for a rookie QB/team & IMO, is more important than many think.
    Agreed its especially beneficial for smarter QBs... sometimes the best coach is that back up QB who understands the system... I would love to bring in a vet QB who has had a lot of success in the NFL (Bulger???).
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096153
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096150
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096147
    It says "Video not yet available in your country"

Since you know a lot about Ponder, studying and all, How is his mobility & ability to elude the rush? Does he take off down field at the sign of danger of does he stay behind the LOS & try to find an open receiver?
    Maybe you should get back to gods country then

I you look back to my draft QB video thread you will see how I ranked him. I had him in the top 3 with Mallet and Stanzi and in a WCO I would have him in the top 2 with Stanzi.

He played at Florida State where Jimbo Fisher ran a pro style offense where Ponder lined up under center.

When compared to Dalton, Gabbert, Newton, and Locker he was clearly more pro ready and was coached to look for the WR instead of pulling the ball down and running like they did much like Stanzi. He has great mobility in the pocket but doesn't abandon the play and run at the first sign of pressure like the ones mentioned above.

I think his arm strength is just fine and while I will need to see how he plays when the pro defenses come after him I am happier with him as a pick than any QB in a very long time at this point.

I suppose the only thing left is for you to evaluate his hand size and let us know if he is going to succeed based on that.
    Excellent points my friend. I wanted to point out that from watching a lot of Ponder's 09 and 10 tape, he puts a lot of velocity on short quick throws. He has the arm strength to make all the throws at the next level, his deep ball may be bad because of Arm Strength to push the ball down the field. But I think you have to take into consideration that throwing the deep ball has a lot to do with timing.

Drew Brees is not a strong armed quarterback, in fact he compares very similarly to Ponder or vice versa (height, hand size, attributes, weak arms). Yet Drew Brees was one of the best deep ball passers over the last few years. What does that mean? Deep ball has a lot to do with timing... So what he can't throw 50 yard balls (see his deep ball at the Senior Bowl game to Hankerson) but I'm positive he can push the ball 20-30 yards (20+ yard passes considered deep passes) with great touch so I don't see his arm strength as a problem.
    None

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1096165
    So.... Brees anybody?

Glad to see we finally made it back to the real subject of this discussion, i.e. how long you need to properly evaluate a QB's potential.

I'll just throw one more name out there, and a former Viking to boot. No stats as I am too tired to look them up just now, but this guy was strictly a journeyman for close to ten years before finally turning into a pro-bowl talent.

Rich Gannon, anyone?

It's a crap shoot. Always has been, always will be. You never know until you know, and even then sometimes you still don't know.
    Yep, Gannon never really got good until the end of his time here, then went on to the superbowl to play another guy who was never really good until the end of his time here, Brad Johnson.

It takes a few years to groom a QB to play. Some guys in excellent situations can make it happen right away, most don't.

I'd rather speed up that process by getting him a Vet to work with and challenge him.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1096155
    Favre was sacked 22(of 36) times in 2010, 4 injuries(that we know about.)
    Favre was sacked 34(of 34) times in 2009, no injuries.
    LOL! It's pretty common knowledge that Favre had surgery on that "no injury" you speak of.

He was absolutely killed in that game & it wasn't because he always held on to the ball to long.

Quick question. On the dozens of times AD got nailed in the backfield for a loss, was it because he held onto the ball to long before taking off?

Definitely in the Buffalo game, Favre had the ball too long, contrary to Infidel's failed attempt at an argument, but several times the pocket collapsed on him almost immediately. The Jets game comes to mind. Don't forget all those forced fumbles that occurred behind the line.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

It still baffles me how people still thing our line play isn't an issue.

Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast