Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 417
  1. #231
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096077
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1096069
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096060
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dibbzz" #1096034
    My point Vikings fans is to give it time. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and trust me, Ponder is our guy. You just don't know it yet B)
    Just started a new spreadsheet. You and I are the first two on it.

    Not sure what they think the staff drafted him for? If he sits on the bench for a year, he will still have 0 starts at the end of the year. He will still have to earn the respect of the team etc etc etc.

    Again, if he has it, and I think he does, we need to get him on the field now so that we can work out the bugs instead of waiting to work out the bugs a year from now.
    I think you start him when he is ready to start. That may be week one, week 4, week 12 or 2012. It's silly to sit here and say he will be ready when we have never seen him on an NFL field throwing to NFL recievers against an NFL defense(San Diego has a very complex defense designed to get after the QB).

    I say bring in a vet, McNabb if possible, and let them compete in training camp and preseason. Make Ponder earn the starting role, don't just give it to him. That is one of the things everyone complained about TJack, he was given the job without any real competition.

    Starting a guy simply because he was a first round pick is silly. Start a guy only when you think he is ready and makes the team better. There is no way to know right now whether or not he will be ready.
    I understand all of your points. Quick question (and a follow-up).

    1. Is Newton ready to start?
    Oh god no

    2. Will the Panthers start him,
    Yes
    and if so, why?
    probably close to $40 million reasons why.

    Again, for me, I believe the staff drafted this kid because they believe he is ready. If that is the case, what good does it do to bring in a vet to start or to add competition?
    no QB comes in ready. not even manning was ready.

    Roethlisberger had the best rookie season of any QB because he had two good RB's, some weapons at receiver, a fantastic OL and the best defense i the league. He was asked to do very little.

    Very little from a passing attack with us usually isn't enough to win. We NEED to play balanced football.
    Don't you kindof send a mixed signal if you do that, possibly making matters even worse?
    Ask Rodgers how 'mixed' his signals were.

    What about Rivers? Eli?(remember, they signed Warner that season)

    If he's going to get butthurt about not starting day one, I don't want him on my team.

    he needs to know his day will come, and it won't be that far away. Work hard and he'll get there.

  2. #232
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096071
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096059
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096030
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096015
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095970
    Quote Originally Posted by "Culpepper_4717" #1095853
    Culpepper: Remove pressure to start Ponder

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/120989989.html
    Of course Pepp would say that. Hell, he never ever really did get the whole concept of reading the whole defense.

    Ponder, on the other hand, seems to be smart enough to figure that one out with some coaching.

    In the end, I think its a player by player decision based on how you feel the kid learns the best. By the books or by doing during real game situations.

    Peyton sucked his first 8 or 9 games (my memory Midge). Aikmen, same same. Heck even Sanchez sucked his first year. None of them were permanantly marred for going through the school of hard knocks.

    I think you can put Ponder on the field, with this team and win.
    I think Culpepper is right. Your comment on his ability to read or not read defenses has nothing to do with it.

    It's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. Not only to start but to carry a team without, so much as a veteran QB on the teams roster to learn from or that can come in and lead the team if Ponder can't. There's no one to back him up or give him advice or to learn from.

    This is what you want this year. This is your plan....

    Keep in mind there may be no OTA', minicamps & perhaps a limited TC &/or preseason.

    Start Ponder. Zero NFL experience/snaps

    Back him up with Webb. 2 career starts, 89 career regular season NFL pass attemps.

    Back Webb up with Bowmar. 2 partial years in the NFL. 0 regular season snaps, 0 passes.

    LOL! Great plan! AYFKM!!!!
    Exactly. Say what you will about Culpepper, but the one hting he had going for him when he started, was he had confidence. He trusted himself and his team, he knew what to do and how to get it done.

    Sending Ponder out there, with no NFL experience at all, probably no mini-camps and probably different Training Camps than normal is NOT a good idea.

    with McNabb, at least he's up to speed with the NFL game. He knows the speed of the game, he can read defenses, play the position and be the leader in the huddle. Ponder has far too much work to do.

    He needs time to develop that rapport with his receivers and coaches. Time that the NFL is banning him from using. Ponder will need to earn the respect of teammates. He doesn't have any respect going in, he's not an established player. McNabb is one of the better players in the league, and has had a great career. it will be similar to when Favre showed up, and commanded the respect of his teammates.

    Just a whole bunch of htings like that are important, and no, Bomar doesn't cut it. He doesn't command the respect of a 7 year old.
    So how did Sanchez do when he went out with respect to the "Respect" thing? How about Flacco? Ryan?

    Again, either the kid has it or he doesn't. Lets find out.
    Difference is, those guys had a whole offseason to work with the team. Ponder won't

    On a side note, were is the crowd that wanted us to go out and get a top pick QB so that we were gauranteed success?
    PIcking your words. Higher pick = better chance of a successful quarterback. Nobody said anything about being Peyton Manning on day one.

    If you wanted a kid that was gonna sit on the bench and develop for a couple of years we could have waited and got another project or just gone with Webb on the bench learning behind the Vet you guys now seem to crave so bad.
    Yeah, and then we stick him out and he bombs. At least with a top-15 pick, you sit him, then let him play, odds are very good he'll play well.
    Again with the Manning thing.....:huh:

    Look, he will bomb if he is gonna bomb. Doesn't matter if you put him in now or if you wait 3 years.

    Again, either he has it or he doesn't. All you do by sitting him is delay the discovery process.

    Look, I'm not saying this kid is the second coming and will just step on the field and tada, we have a HOF'r.

    I'm saying that this kid, based on all we know about him and what the staff thinks about him, is ready to get on the field and start the process of becoming that HOF'r.

    Sitting him for a year does nothing but delay that process.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #233
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    880

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Usually I prefer to let a rookie sit and learn for a couple of years, but the simple fact is, we don't really have that luxury at this time.

    There's a reason we went for ponder rather than one of the other, flashier guys. He's the most NFL-ready guy out there, with the possible exception of Stanzi. If he has to start from day one, he's more likely than most to be able to handle it.

    Frazier has said (and I'm paraphrasing just a bit here) that Ponder was brought in to be a starter, but that he would have to earn it. That seems to me to be saying that they are still hoping to find a vet to compete with him. If so, then I would hope that it is a fairly inexpensive one. A McNabb or Kolb, or even a Hasselbeck or Palmer, is going to cost big money that we can better use for resigning our important players or acquiring help at other positions.

    This is why I am now leaning toward the likelihood of picking up someone like Leinert or Troy Smith. They would be a lot less expemsive but still have some experience on the field from which Ponder could benefit. They would be competition for the rookie, but not egocentric like the bigger names would be. Plus, we probably only want the guy, whoever he may be, for a year or two at best. The big names will want multi-year deals.

    From everything I have seen and heard, it looks to me like the management would like to brig in a guy, but are prepared to go with Ponder out of the gate if need be. It's not like anyone is expecting big things this year anyway. Unless we get very lucky, this is likely to be a down year for our beloved Vikings. That being the case, why not let Ponder learn under fire?

    The only real reason not to is for his protection from injury, which I will admit is a real concern. The blocking scheme adjustments may help with protection, but no one can deny that we need some significant improvement there. But IMO the risk is worth the reward, and I would bet that Christian agrees with me.

    Our young QB was on an epside of "Game Changers" with Mooch on NFLN the other night, along with Blaine Gabbert. Apparently the two are good buds and work out together and challenge each other constantly. Ponder showed a great attitude and said all of the right things. Good mechanics, pro-style O experience... I'm no expert, but he looked as ready to go as any rookie ever could be.

    Here's this little humorous tidbit from a recent interview with him, as well. He met with Coaches Musgrave and Johnson on Friday after being selected, and had a good talk with them about the "new" offense. Nobody else has done so yet, so Christian says he knows more about our offense already than anyone else on the team. Yes, it was said jokingly, but it also rings true.

    So for me, it breaks down to hoping and expecting that Ponder will be starting at some point this season. Perhaps not immediately, but likely by mid-season. And I'm fine with that. Let the kid play, and learn, and get ready to kick some ass in 2012 and beyond.

    My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

  4. #234
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096071
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096059
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096030
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096015
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095970
    Quote Originally Posted by "Culpepper_4717" #1095853
    Culpepper: Remove pressure to start Ponder

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/120989989.html
    Of course Pepp would say that. Hell, he never ever really did get the whole concept of reading the whole defense.

    Ponder, on the other hand, seems to be smart enough to figure that one out with some coaching.

    In the end, I think its a player by player decision based on how you feel the kid learns the best. By the books or by doing during real game situations.

    Peyton sucked his first 8 or 9 games (my memory Midge). Aikmen, same same. Heck even Sanchez sucked his first year. None of them were permanantly marred for going through the school of hard knocks.

    I think you can put Ponder on the field, with this team and win.
    I think Culpepper is right. Your comment on his ability to read or not read defenses has nothing to do with it.

    It's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. Not only to start but to carry a team without, so much as a veteran QB on the teams roster to learn from or that can come in and lead the team if Ponder can't. There's no one to back him up or give him advice or to learn from.

    This is what you want this year. This is your plan....

    Keep in mind there may be no OTA', minicamps & perhaps a limited TC &/or preseason.

    Start Ponder. Zero NFL experience/snaps

    Back him up with Webb. 2 career starts, 89 career regular season NFL pass attemps.

    Back Webb up with Bowmar. 2 partial years in the NFL. 0 regular season snaps, 0 passes.

    LOL! Great plan! AYFKM!!!!
    Exactly. Say what you will about Culpepper, but the one hting he had going for him when he started, was he had confidence. He trusted himself and his team, he knew what to do and how to get it done.

    Sending Ponder out there, with no NFL experience at all, probably no mini-camps and probably different Training Camps than normal is NOT a good idea.

    with McNabb, at least he's up to speed with the NFL game. He knows the speed of the game, he can read defenses, play the position and be the leader in the huddle. Ponder has far too much work to do.

    He needs time to develop that rapport with his receivers and coaches. Time that the NFL is banning him from using. Ponder will need to earn the respect of teammates. He doesn't have any respect going in, he's not an established player. McNabb is one of the better players in the league, and has had a great career. it will be similar to when Favre showed up, and commanded the respect of his teammates.

    Just a whole bunch of htings like that are important, and no, Bomar doesn't cut it. He doesn't command the respect of a 7 year old.
    So how did Sanchez do when he went out with respect to the "Respect" thing? How about Flacco? Ryan?

    Again, either the kid has it or he doesn't. Lets find out.
    Difference is, those guys had a whole offseason to work with the team. Ponder won't

    On a side note, were is the crowd that wanted us to go out and get a top pick QB so that we were gauranteed success?
    PIcking your words. Higher pick = better chance of a successful quarterback. Nobody said anything about being Peyton Manning on day one.

    If you wanted a kid that was gonna sit on the bench and develop for a couple of years we could have waited and got another project or just gone with Webb on the bench learning behind the Vet you guys now seem to crave so bad.
    Yeah, and then we stick him out and he bombs. At least with a top-15 pick, you sit him, then let him play, odds are very good he'll play well.
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096071
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096059
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096030
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096015
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095970
    Quote Originally Posted by "Culpepper_4717" #1095853
    Culpepper: Remove pressure to start Ponder

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/120989989.html
    Of course Pepp would say that. Hell, he never ever really did get the whole concept of reading the whole defense.

    Ponder, on the other hand, seems to be smart enough to figure that one out with some coaching.

    In the end, I think its a player by player decision based on how you feel the kid learns the best. By the books or by doing during real game situations.

    Peyton sucked his first 8 or 9 games (my memory Midge). Aikmen, same same. Heck even Sanchez sucked his first year. None of them were permanantly marred for going through the school of hard knocks.

    I think you can put Ponder on the field, with this team and win.
    I think Culpepper is right. Your comment on his ability to read or not read defenses has nothing to do with it.

    It's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. Not only to start but to carry a team without, so much as a veteran QB on the teams roster to learn from or that can come in and lead the team if Ponder can't. There's no one to back him up or give him advice or to learn from.

    This is what you want this year. This is your plan....

    Keep in mind there may be no OTA', minicamps & perhaps a limited TC &/or preseason.

    Start Ponder. Zero NFL experience/snaps

    Back him up with Webb. 2 career starts, 89 career regular season NFL pass attemps.

    Back Webb up with Bowmar. 2 partial years in the NFL. 0 regular season snaps, 0 passes.

    LOL! Great plan! AYFKM!!!!
    Exactly. Say what you will about Culpepper, but the one hting he had going for him when he started, was he had confidence. He trusted himself and his team, he knew what to do and how to get it done.

    Sending Ponder out there, with no NFL experience at all, probably no mini-camps and probably different Training Camps than normal is NOT a good idea.

    with McNabb, at least he's up to speed with the NFL game. He knows the speed of the game, he can read defenses, play the position and be the leader in the huddle. Ponder has far too much work to do.

    He needs time to develop that rapport with his receivers and coaches. Time that the NFL is banning him from using. Ponder will need to earn the respect of teammates. He doesn't have any respect going in, he's not an established player. McNabb is one of the better players in the league, and has had a great career. it will be similar to when Favre showed up, and commanded the respect of his teammates.

    Just a whole bunch of htings like that are important, and no, Bomar doesn't cut it. He doesn't command the respect of a 7 year old.
    So how did Sanchez do when he went out with respect to the "Respect" thing? How about Flacco? Ryan?

    Again, either the kid has it or he doesn't. Lets find out.
    Difference is, those guys had a whole offseason to work with the team. Ponder won't

    On a side note, were is the crowd that wanted us to go out and get a top pick QB so that we were gauranteed success?
    PIcking your words. Higher pick = better chance of a successful quarterback. Nobody said anything about being Peyton Manning on day one.

    If you wanted a kid that was gonna sit on the bench and develop for a couple of years we could have waited and got another project or just gone with Webb on the bench learning behind the Vet you guys now seem to crave so bad.
    Yeah, and then we stick him out and he bombs. At least with a top-15 pick, you sit him, then let him play, odds are very good he'll play well.
    Again with the Manning thing.....:huh:

    Look, he will bomb if he is gonna bomb. Doesn't matter if you put him in now or if you wait 3 years.

    Again, either he has it or he doesn't. All you do by sitting him is delay the discovery process.

    Look, I'm not saying this kid is the second coming and will just step on the field and tada, we have a HOF'r.

    I'm saying that this kid, based on all we know about him and what the staff thinks about him, is ready to get on the field and start the process of becoming that HOF'r.

    Sitting him for a year does nothing but delay that process.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #235
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096078
    no QB comes in ready. not even manning was ready.

    Roethlisberger had the best rookie season of any QB because he had two good RB's, some weapons at receiver, a fantastic OL and the best defense i the league. He was asked to do very little.

    Very little from a passing attack with us usually isn't enough to win. We NEED to play balanced football.
    But they thought Manning was ready, and if you look at the expectations of what the staff meant by ready, he did his job. Same thing with Big Ben. They thought they could win with him on the field at that point in time and at the stage of "Readiness" he was in.

    Guess, what, they won a SB with him cause it was a team effort.

    Again, I'm not saying that the staff thinks this kid won't make mistakes, hell, he will, probably for the next 4 or 5 years. Its expected. Hell the Noodle made mistakes after 20 years. Again, its expected.

    Sitting him cause your worried he might make a rook mistake solves nothing other than delaying him from making those mistakes. In the end, you put him in this year, you wait and put him in next year, the mistakes are going to happen.

    If he has the stuff, those mistakes will be learned from and he will quit doing them.


    Ask Rodgers how 'mixed' his signals were.

    What about Rivers? Eli?(remember, they signed Warner that season)

    If he's going to get butthurt about not starting day one, I don't want him on my team.

    he needs to know his day will come, and it won't be that far away. Work hard and he'll get there.
    So how does he work hard? Sitting on the bench? Throwing to the PS WR's during the week?

    I want him working directly with PH, Rice, Berrian. I want him talking to the Center, hearing him make line adjustments, having a LB in his face while all thats going on. I want him to get his timing down with AD during a handoff so he doesn't knock knees.

    Like it or not, he isn't gonna get that sitting the bench cause a few worry wart fans are afraid he might not get it right every time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #236
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096079
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096071
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096059
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096030
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096015
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095970
    Quote Originally Posted by "Culpepper_4717" #1095853
    Culpepper: Remove pressure to start Ponder

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/120989989.html
    Of course Pepp would say that. Hell, he never ever really did get the whole concept of reading the whole defense.

    Ponder, on the other hand, seems to be smart enough to figure that one out with some coaching.

    In the end, I think its a player by player decision based on how you feel the kid learns the best. By the books or by doing during real game situations.

    Peyton sucked his first 8 or 9 games (my memory Midge). Aikmen, same same. Heck even Sanchez sucked his first year. None of them were permanantly marred for going through the school of hard knocks.

    I think you can put Ponder on the field, with this team and win.
    I think Culpepper is right. Your comment on his ability to read or not read defenses has nothing to do with it.

    It's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. Not only to start but to carry a team without, so much as a veteran QB on the teams roster to learn from or that can come in and lead the team if Ponder can't. There's no one to back him up or give him advice or to learn from.

    This is what you want this year. This is your plan....

    Keep in mind there may be no OTA', minicamps & perhaps a limited TC &/or preseason.

    Start Ponder. Zero NFL experience/snaps

    Back him up with Webb. 2 career starts, 89 career regular season NFL pass attemps.

    Back Webb up with Bowmar. 2 partial years in the NFL. 0 regular season snaps, 0 passes.

    LOL! Great plan! AYFKM!!!!
    Exactly. Say what you will about Culpepper, but the one hting he had going for him when he started, was he had confidence. He trusted himself and his team, he knew what to do and how to get it done.

    Sending Ponder out there, with no NFL experience at all, probably no mini-camps and probably different Training Camps than normal is NOT a good idea.

    with McNabb, at least he's up to speed with the NFL game. He knows the speed of the game, he can read defenses, play the position and be the leader in the huddle. Ponder has far too much work to do.

    He needs time to develop that rapport with his receivers and coaches. Time that the NFL is banning him from using. Ponder will need to earn the respect of teammates. He doesn't have any respect going in, he's not an established player. McNabb is one of the better players in the league, and has had a great career. it will be similar to when Favre showed up, and commanded the respect of his teammates.

    Just a whole bunch of htings like that are important, and no, Bomar doesn't cut it. He doesn't command the respect of a 7 year old.
    So how did Sanchez do when he went out with respect to the "Respect" thing? How about Flacco? Ryan?

    Again, either the kid has it or he doesn't. Lets find out.
    Difference is, those guys had a whole offseason to work with the team. Ponder won't

    On a side note, were is the crowd that wanted us to go out and get a top pick QB so that we were gauranteed success?
    PIcking your words. Higher pick = better chance of a successful quarterback. Nobody said anything about being Peyton Manning on day one.

    If you wanted a kid that was gonna sit on the bench and develop for a couple of years we could have waited and got another project or just gone with Webb on the bench learning behind the Vet you guys now seem to crave so bad.
    Yeah, and then we stick him out and he bombs. At least with a top-15 pick, you sit him, then let him play, odds are very good he'll play well.
    Again with the Manning thing.....:huh:

    Look, he will bomb if he is gonna bomb. Doesn't matter if you put him in now or if you wait 3 years.
    I disagree.

    Stick a QB in an awful situation and you have an awful QB.

    Stick a QB in a poor situation, but build around him, and you'll give your guy a chance. For example, David Carr. He was thrown in day one with a terrible team. No blocking, he got hit on almost every play. No way any rookie can grow as a player under that. They never bothered to help him out either. No OL, no playmakers.

    Roethlisberger, or Manning, they build around him. Give him protection, give him weapons. Manning came to a crap team, but was given a chance to actually succeed.

    A QB can be wasted in a crap situation. Our situation is probably not ideal for a rookie QB. A vet can work with it. Build up our line, and get some continuity at receiver, and then that's a place to flourish.

    Look at the 2000 Vikings. Great OL, great receivers. Didn't matter who you stuck in there or why, he would do well.

    Look at those same players elsewhere. THey didn't do nearly as well. Cunningham, Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Culpepper, all had career seasons with us.

    Again, either he has it or he doesn't. All you do by sitting him is delay the discovery process.
    So why'd they sit Rodgers? Or Rivers?

    I'm saying that this kid, based on all we know about him and what the staff thinks about him, is ready to get on the field and start the process of becoming that HOF'r.
    And that comes with patience. LEarning the position, learning the pro game. Getting in sync with your receivers, getting a feel for what is expected of you in the pros.
    Sitting him for a year does nothing but delay that process.
    Or gives him a year withotu the pressure to perform, to work on learning the position, scheme and step into the spotlight playing well from the beginning.

  7. #237
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "Traveling_Vike" #1096080
    Usually I prefer to let a rookie sit and learn for a couple of years, but the simple fact is, we don't really have that luxury at this time.

    There's a reason we went for ponder rather than one of the other, flashier guys. He's the most NFL-ready guy out there, with the possible exception of Stanzi. If he has to start from day one, he's more likely than most to be able to handle it.

    Frazier has said (and I'm paraphrasing just a bit here) that Ponder was brought in to be a starter, but that he would have to earn it. That seems to me to be saying that they are still hoping to find a vet to compete with him. If so, then I would hope that it is a fairly inexpensive one. A McNabb or Kolb, or even a Hasselbeck or Palmer, is going to cost big money that we can better use for resigning our important players or acquiring help at other positions.

    This is why I am now leaning toward the likelihood of picking up someone like Leinert or Troy Smith. They would be a lot less expemsive but still have some experience on the field from which Ponder could benefit. They would be competition for the rookie, but not egocentric like the bigger names would be. Plus, we probably only want the guy, whoever he may be, for a year or two at best. The big names will want multi-year deals.

    From everything I have seen and heard, it looks to me like the management would like to brig in a guy, but are prepared to go with Ponder out of the gate if need be. It's not like anyone is expecting big things this year anyway. Unless we get very lucky, this is likely to be a down year for our beloved Vikings. That being the case, why not let Ponder learn under fire?

    The only real reason not to is for his protection from injury, which I will admit is a real concern. The blocking scheme adjustments may help with protection, but no one can deny that we need some significant improvement there. But IMO the risk is worth the reward, and I would bet that Christian agrees with me.

    Our young QB was on an epside of "Game Changers" with Mooch on NFLN the other night, along with Blaine Gabbert. Apparently the two are good buds and work out together and challenge each other constantly. Ponder showed a great attitude and said all of the right things. Good mechanics, pro-style O experience... I'm no expert, but he looked as ready to go as any rookie ever could be.

    Here's this little humorous tidbit from a recent interview with him, as well. He met with Coaches Musgrave and Johnson on Friday after being selected, and had a good talk with them about the "new" offense. Nobody else has done so yet, so Christian says he knows more about our offense already than anyone else on the team. Yes, it was said jokingly, but it also rings true.

    So for me, it breaks down to hoping and expecting that Ponder will be starting at some point this season. Perhaps not immediately, but likely by mid-season. And I'm fine with that. Let the kid play, and learn, and get ready to kick some ass in 2012 and beyond.
    DING DING DING DING/BING BING BING BING........

    Excellent post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #238
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096083
    So how does he work hard? Sitting on the bench?
    Do you really think backups don't work hard to earn a starting role?
    Throwing to the PS WR's during the week?
    I'm starting to wonder if you know how a team is setup. There's more steps between a teams starters and practice squad. They mix and match players all the time.

    YOu got first team, second team, some cases third team. Sometimes they'll have second team receivers rotating in with the first team.

    When Harvin was drafted, you can bet your ass he was practicing with the first and second team at different times. So will Ponder.

    Fraizer BETTER have a QB competition. You can't just hand a position to a kid because you drafted him early.

    I want him working directly with PH, Rice, Berrian. I want him talking to the Center, hearing him make line adjustments, having a LB in his face while all thats going on. I want him to get his timing down with AD during a handoff so he doesn't knock knees.
    Ah, so they don't go over these scenarios in practice right? You need game time to make line adjustments, throw to your starters and not run into AD? I'd rather that learning process take place on the practice field.

    Like it or not, he isn't gonna get that sitting the bench cause a few worry wart fans are afraid he might not get it right every time.
    No, he'll be sitting there because most coaches will tell you that's the smart thing to do. They just feel pressure from the owners to get their prized possession out there on the field.

  9. #239
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096083
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096078
    no QB comes in ready. not even manning was ready.

    Roethlisberger had the best rookie season of any QB because he had two good RB's, some weapons at receiver, a fantastic OL and the best defense i the league. He was asked to do very little.

    Very little from a passing attack with us usually isn't enough to win. We NEED to play balanced football.
    But they thought Manning was ready, and if you look at the expectations of what the staff meant by ready, he did his job. Same thing with Big Ben. They thought they could win with him on the field at that point in time and at the stage of "Readiness" he was in.

    Guess, what, they won a SB with him cause it was a team effort.
    Actually, I'm glad you mentioned that.

    Ben didn't win a superbowl his rookie year, but thanks for coming out to play.

    As well, Ben wasn't handed the startig position. He took over because Tommy maddox got hurt after 3 games. They seemed perfectly content to start the season with a veteran, even thougH Ben was good enough to get by.
    Again, I'm not saying that the staff thinks this kid won't make mistakes, hell, he will, probably for the next 4 or 5 years. Its expected. Hell the Noodle made mistakes after 20 years. Again, its expected.
    And I never said I expect a guy never to make a mistake.

    You seem to like to take the 'try it and see' attitude when it comes to young guys, while I'd rather see them earn what is given to them.

    Look at TJ, We put up with 5 years of his crap because we never pushed him, or made him earn anything. We pushed him into a starting role because we had no other option. He finally got benched because we got Gus, and then after sucking some more, we got Favre.

    I'd rather see Ponder earn the starting role. At least have an NFL practice before we appoint him our starter.

  10. #240
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096084
    I disagree.

    Stick a QB in an awful situation and you have an awful QB.

    Stick a QB in a poor situation, but build around him, and you'll give your guy a chance. For example, David Carr. He was thrown in day one with a terrible team. No blocking, he got hit on almost every play. No way any rookie can grow as a player under that. They never bothered to help him out either. No OL, no playmakers.

    Roethlisberger, or Manning, they build around him. Give him protection, give him weapons. Manning came to a crap team, but was given a chance to actually succeed.

    A QB can be wasted in a crap situation. Our situation is probably not ideal for a rookie QB. A vet can work with it. Build up our line, and get some continuity at receiver, and then that's a place to flourish.

    Look at the 2000 Vikings. Great OL, great receivers. Didn't matter who you stuck in there or why, he would do well.

    Look at those same players elsewhere. THey didn't do nearly as well. Cunningham, Brad Johnson, Jeff George, Culpepper, all had career seasons with us.
    You stick a QB, that has all the tools to succeed in a awfull situation and he will make the best of it. You stick a awfull QB in a awfull situation and you have a awfull QB in a awfull situation. Nothing more, nothing less.

    Again, he has all the tools (arm), he has the mental makeup (smart), knows the scheme (WCO. All he needs is reps.

    On a side note, you keep talking about this team as if it is the crap like we had in 2005. This team, is not crap. It won back to back div titles and was in the fricken NFCC game two years ago and it has had very little roster turnover.

    Now if we loose out on Rice and can't replace him, then yes, we might have an issue, but right now, this team isn't as efffed up as you seem to think it is.

    I guess, in the end, that is were we differ. You think we are going to run the kid out there on a 1-15 team and he is going to completely fall apart and become a squeemy pile of green slime. I think we are putting him on a pretty damn good team that can carry him until he gets his feet under him (about week 4 or 5).



    So why'd they sit Rodgers? Or Rivers?
    Rodgers, because they had a HOF QB they needed to get rid of. Rivers? It was because he was a bit of a head case and needed to be uncased. Ask me, he is still a head case.

    Or gives him a year withotu the pressure to perform, to work on learning the position, scheme and step into the spotlight playing well from the beginning.
    What is one year going to give him? Again, if he has it, he has it. If he doesn't, we need to know now so we can move on.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Video: Christian Ponder In Preseason
    By HEY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 08:49 AM
  2. Christian Ponder named backup QB for the Vikings
    By MulletMullitia in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
  3. NFL speed throws Christian Ponder for a loop
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 04:16 PM
  4. Christian Ponder Speaks Truth, Catches Flak
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
  5. The Officailly official thread for everything official
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •