Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "Chazz" #1095698
    I'll take "intangibles" over "upside" any day! Matt Ryan has a week arm and very little "upside" and I hear he's doing ok. Sam Bradford has an "average" arm plus dislocated his shoulder twice...I think the Rams are happy. Vince Young and Russel have "HUGE upside", how's that working out? The Jury is still out on Tebow...I'm skeptical he will become a pro-bowl QB.

I love the pick and I'm going on record as saying Ponder will have a better career then Newton, Gabbert, and locker combined.
    This is probably my favorite post of this thread.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

I want CP from day 1.. tired of vets that will only waste Adrians career with us..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Culpepper_4717" #1095853
    Culpepper: Remove pressure to start Ponder

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/120989989.html
    Of course Pepp would say that. Hell, he never ever really did get the whole concept of reading the whole defense.

Ponder, on the other hand, seems to be smart enough to figure that one out with some coaching.

In the end, I think its a player by player decision based on how you feel the kid learns the best. By the books or by doing during real game situations.

Peyton sucked his first 8 or 9 games (my memory Midge). Aikmen, same same. Heck even Sanchez sucked his first year. None of them were permanantly marred for going through the school of hard knocks.

I think you can put Ponder on the field, with this team and win.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095970

Of course Pepp would say that. Hell, he never ever really did get the whole concept of reading the whole defense.

Ponder, on the other hand, seems to be smart enough to figure that one out with some coaching.

In the end, I think its a player by player decision based on how you feel the kid learns the best. By the books or by doing during real game situations.

Peyton sucked his first 8 or 9 games (my memory Midge). Aikmen, same same. Heck even Sanchez sucked his first year. None of them were permanantly marred for going through the school of hard knocks.

Peyton sucked for the hwole year, but I don't think we can rely on Ponder turning into Peyton Manning.

Manning is the reason the Colts do as well as they do. No real weapons on offense, and a pretty bad defense his whole career. Don't get me wrong, I hope Ponder does, but a Peyton Manning only comes around once in a generation.

as for Sanchez, I still don't think he's that great. He's improved, yes, but he also has alot more weapons, as well as a top rated D and run game.

Aikman had much the same that Sanchez has.

Unfortunately, the Jets and Cowboys then, IMO are better teams than the Vikigns at the moment. Especially if we lose Rice, I'm not sure our team can carry a QB, we need a guy who can win a couple games by himself if needed. We have far too many breakdowns on Defense, and our offense is always hurt.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095972

Peyton sucked for the hwole year, but I don't think we can rely on Ponder turning into Peyton Manning.

Manning is the reason the Colts do as well as they do. No real weapons on offense, and a pretty bad defense his whole career. Don't get me wrong, I hope Ponder does, but a Peyton Manning only comes around once in a generation.

as for Sanchez, I still don't think he's that great. He's improved, yes, but he also has alot more weapons, as well as a top rated D and run game.

Unfortunately, the Jets and Cowboys then, IMO are better teams than the Vikigns at the moment. Especially if we lose Rice, I'm not sure our team can carry a QB, we need a guy who can win a couple games by himself if needed. We have far too many breakdowns on Defense, and our offense is always hurt.
    Never said Ponder was gonna be a Peyton, but I think he can be. I used Peyton, like the others, as examples of QB's that succeeded even though they didn't sit.

Sanchez is still being carried by that team and it has wholes. Why not the Vikes.

I agree that Rice is key to the whole plan, but I think the staff is gearing up to pay him and pay him big.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095973
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095972

Never said Ponder was gonna be a Peyton, but I think he can be. I used Peyton, like the others, as examples of QB's that succeeded even though they didn't sit.

Sanchez is still being carried by that team and it has wholes. Why not the Vikes.
    What holes?

They have good receivers. If they can get Edwards AND HOlmes back, they'll be more than set their. Their OL is fantastic, their runningbacks are good, their TE is good, their front seven play great together, but apparantly they have no ends. two very good, athletic corners, and adaquate safeties. Safeties that are adaquate enough to help them finish #6 against the pass last year, #1 the year before. Get DE's and that team is complete and ready to make yet another superbowl run.

We on the other hand, have a huge question at WR. Will Rice be back? Will Harvin play all the games, who's going to be our third receiver? How will our OL play? Is Hutch almost done, or was it just a bad, injury year for him? What about Sully? What happens with the Williams Wall? What about LDE? Leber's probably gone, who will play Sam? What if Griffen's not back from his knee injury 100%? Will Winfield slow down more? What will we do for Safety? Hussein is one, but Madeiu needs replacing.

What about kicker?

Go ahead and try and convince me the Vikings are just as good as the Jets.

I agree that Rice is key to the whole plan, but I think the staff is gearing up to pay him and pay him big.
    I thought they didn't know what they were doing?

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Another thing with Ponder is we aren't getting some freak success story where the kid is driven on ego, see: Ryan Leif.

Ponder has taken his lumps in the NCAA and he's taken them in stride, like you would want a QB to do. If he comes out and starts, and has limited success, I can't imagine this kid blowing up like Leif or Vince Young.

In fact I think if you have an intelligent individual with a certain amount of character, a QB can have a productive season learning even if it isn't the most productive season on paper. IBP mentioned Peyton and Aikman two fine examples of that school of thought.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it works both ways though. Not saying whether Ponder will be a HOF player or a bust, but there are players who suck, but keep at it, but continue to suck.

Gus Frerotte is confident in his ability to play mediocre football.

I just hope this pick works out, he's not the guy I woudl have chosen at that point though.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It's going to be hard to compare the performance of Manning or Aikman in their first year compared to anything Ponder might do.

The reason for that is they both went to terrible teams and did not have much around them during the first year.

While I readily admit this team has lots of holes, it is not as devoid of talent as the colts were when Manning was drafted or The Cowboys when Aikman was drafted. Had both of those players been drafted to a more talented team I feel they could have had a much better first year.

Back to Ponder and the offense-

I have heard it said we will be running a dink and dunk offense because Ponder has no arm strength.

I disagree with that notion and I will instead point to two times in the Vikings past when we used a similar offense that was not very dink and dunk IMO.

Interestingly when Denny Green took ober the Vikings he installed very much the same offense the Vikings are talking about installing which is a blend of the WCO that Walsh ran and the Redskins offense from the 80's under Gibbs. That offense would run 2 TE's or a TE and an "H" back and if you look back we had some respectable numbers when Warren Moon was running it.

The next time was when Tice took over as HC and if you look at the numbers put up under both coaches it really was not Dink and Dunk at all.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

we're all stuck supporting this pick whether we like it or not... If he doesn't pan out we will probably all be able to agree as a fan base that we all thought it was a bad pick when he got drafted. If he ends up being good we can all agree our FO did one hell of a job. Its the way its going to be for the next 3-4 years. Leslie's a great coach in my opinion so I hope this pick pans out.

IN LESLIE WE TRUST.
    None

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast