Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Chazz is online now Coordinator

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

I'll take "intangibles" over "upside" any day! Matt Ryan has a week arm and very little "upside" and I hear he's doing ok. Sam Bradford has an "average" arm plus dislocated his shoulder twice...I think the Rams are happy. Vince Young and Russel have "HUGE upside", how's that working out? The Jury is still out on Tebow...I'm skeptical he will become a pro-bowl QB.

I love the pick and I'm going on record as saying Ponder will have a better career then Newton, Gabbert, and locker combined.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Chazz" #1095698
    I'll take "intangibles" over "upside" any day! Matt Ryan has a week arm and very little "upside" and I hear he's doing ok. Sam Bradford has an "average" arm plus dislocated his shoulder twice...I think the Rams are happy. Vince Young and Russel have "HUGE upside", how's that working out? The Jury is still out on Tebow...I'm skeptical he will become a pro-bowl QB.

I love the pick and I'm going on record as saying Ponder will have a better career then Newton, Gabbert, and locker combined.
    Early in the draft i will always draft for skill instead of upside..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would have been happier with another player I was rooting for a bit farther down the board but now that he is on the team I am going to get behind him and hopefully Frazier has assembled a staff that can take the players and mold them into a successful team.

I expect a few down years as we catch back up to the division after the Childress debacle but long term hopefully we will be able to build the team back up to contend.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095727
    I would have been happier with another player I was rooting for a bit farther down the board but now that he is on the team I am going to get behind him
    That's a very diplomatic and positive approach to the situation.
    I also think that it's time we forget where he was drafted and instead focus on supporting him. Everyone has probably got it out of their system by now and dwelling over what's and if's will definitely not get us anywhere.

Will be interesting to see how the battle for the quarterback-position plays out. It should be a close race between Joe Webb and Ponder considering their both relatively young and inexperienced at the Pro Level. Oh... and let's not forget Tarvaris! I think he might have a chance too, but I also think Leslie will be trying to trade him. He has received enough chances to prove his worth... and it's not good enough. He can't even stay healthy.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I believe TJ is a free agent.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095727
    I would have been happier with another player I was rooting for a bit farther down the board but now that he is on the team I am going to get behind him and hopefully Frazier has assembled a staff that can take the players and mold them into a successful team.

I expect a few down years as we catch back up to the division after the Childress debacle but long term hopefully we will be able to build the team back up to contend.
    I was suprised at how far your guy slipped.

On a side note, I still say we aren't that far behind the rest of the teams in our Div.

Lions still have issues with keeping their QB upright but their defense is going to be awesome.

Bores improved themselves this weekend, thats for sure, Carimi was a nice addition, so was Conte, but they sure didn't help themselve when it comes to a WR.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1095379
    Dilfer: 'Christian Ponder is Elvis Grbac'

Now if it was anyone other than Doofus saying it then it could be taken as having some credibility... but not from that muppet
    Just in case it wasn't posted.

Grbac career stats. 59.1% completion. 99TD/81 INT.

Dilfer 55.5% completion. 113TD/129 INT.

Dildo got a ring. In that game he completed 12 passes for a whopping 153 yds. and 1 TD.

His assessment of Ponder is probably a positive thing.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

I found interesting when looking at his splits this year, 16 of his 20 touchdowns game in the red zone this year. How many picks did he throw? 1... I think this provides some insight of what kind of offense we will be next year.

My opinion, expect some very long drives that kill a lot of clock and expect our defensive numbers to be substantially better than last year. He seems to be a very efficient quarterback on third downs and in the red zone which is exactly the reasons why we struggled last year. Don't expect the offense to be too much different from past years.

As for AP, he may be set for a 350 plus carry season this year.
    None

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I think he has a good head on his shoulders.

Ponder mentioned in one of his sit downs with Musgrave that the no huddle offense was brought up. Finding a quarterback mentally strong enough to run one is not easy. Half the QB's in the league struggle doing it. I have no doubt that his football IQ played a huge part in us picking him

Everyone falls in love with the hype surrounding the draft. Where a guy as raw as Cam Newton can actually be the 1st pick even though he is clueless about running a team under center.

I would be more than happy if Ponder is just a mobile Marc Bulger.

Chazz is online now Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by "Freakout" #1095742
    I think he has a good head on his shoulders.

Ponder mentioned in one of his sit downs with Musgrave that the no huddle offense was brought up. Finding a quarterback mentally strong enough to run one is not easy. Half the QB's in the league struggle doing it. I have no doubt that his football IQ played a huge part in us picking him

Everyone falls in love with the hype surrounding the draft. Where a guy as raw as Cam Newton can actually be the 1st pick even though he is clueless about running a team under center.

I would be more than happy if Ponder is just a mobile Marc Bulger.

Yeah, everybody is in love with 'upside' as apposed to actual talent....hmmm and we wonder why there are so many first round busts.

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast