Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Spielman Presser - 4/28

No takers when they were on the clock for a trade.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095366
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095364
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095362
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095361
    Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1095342
    To me, the slap in the face is that Fairley got matched up with Suh in Detroit and now we get to face that combo twice a year for the next ten years! D'oh!!

As far as Ponder goes, I'm happy with who we got, just thought we might have been able to land him later. I do think we were kinda in a hard place, with 3 QBs off the board and approximately 8 teams with QB need picking before our next chance. And as I've been saying, with QB, intelligence and character are more important than straight athletic ability. Ponder earning not only a degree, but a Masters while starting at QB is pretty impressive! No work ethic shortage there I'd wager. Then, there's also the benefit of him being one of the only QBs in the draft with experience running a pro-style system...I watched some highlights this morning and he looks smooth and natural in his drops and moving around in the pocket.

But, this quote might be what gives him the best chance of being the next Peyton Manning:

"Being able to comprehend everything that's going on, and the way I prepare," Ponder said of his strengths. "I watch a lot of film and I'm going to be the hardest worker on my team."
    Not a bad pick considering where we were and that a trade didn't happen. The injuries are a concern, but I've got to assume that we checked all that out and he passed the physical.

At least we didn't just drop our whole load on day one like Atlanta did!! Whew! REally!? 2 firsts, 2 fourths and a second!?!?!?!?
    Excellent post mountain man.

I've been waiting all day to hear the first meeting with the press. Anyone heard/seen anything up there in the great white north yet?
    He was just kicked out of the building and the door was padlocked again
    Surely you jest.
    no it was sirius the lock out is back on until another ruling Monday

I can just see teams pushing their #1's out and taking their caps away and saying call use Tuesday, if we don't hangup on you come on back :unsure:
    Thats ok, they still can bring the rooks in and introduce them. Been discussed numerous times.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

I sure hope this fella pans out.

I wanted us to take Fairley when he was sitting there.

Best thing about the first round was that the Ravens done fucked up and ran out of time. Now Espn has another team to laugh at besides the Vikes.

FailedToOpen is offline Waterboy

It seems like people major concerns with Ponder is he has a "weak" arm and is injury prone. Weren't those two concerns with Bradford last year? Many thought the Bradford pick was terrible because he'd get destroyed behind that OL. Granted comparing Ponder to Bradford is quite the stretch, but I feel both had similar concerns at draft day.

If Ponder is injury prone then I'll just say he'll fit in with Harvin, Rice, and AD.
    None

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "PackSux!" #1095373
    I sure hope this fella pans out.

I wanted us to take Fairley when he was sitting there.

Best thing about the first round was that the Ravens done fucked up and ran out of time. Now Espn has another team to laugh at besides the Vikes.
    Funny thing was they were working a deal with the Bears

Last night, the Ravensí 10-minute window for making their first-round pick expired, a development reminiscent of the misadventures of the other NFL franchise with purple in its color scheme. Like the Vikings in 2003, the Ravens were trying to trade their pick. Specifically, they were trying to trade it to the Bears
    LINK

now the Ravens want the Bears 4 round pick for being jerked around

Now I wonder if the Bears were looking at moving up to get Tice a lineman.....wasn't he the guy with the 2003 Vikings pick :whistle: or was Tice arguing with Martz who wanted Baldwin...then the Chiefs nabbed him and the Bears hung up making the Ravens look silly. 2 picks later the Bears did address the oline

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Dilfer: 'Christian Ponder is Elvis Grbac'

Now if it was anyone other than Doofus saying it then it could be taken as having some credibility... but not from that muppet
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095359
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095358
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1095341
    Don't forget who the head coach was for 7 of those losses, the dome collapsing, and all of the distractions off the field.

We have a talented team.
    Excellent post Mr. A. Lots of issues lead to a bad season, still doesn't mean we don't have a good team

I, for one, love how well the team played at times with alot of backups on the field.

The ass whoopin we put on the Iggles is indicative of what the season could have been with better QB play.

Yesterday, we improved that position. Everyone seems to think that Ponder has wound up on the best situation......Good team that won't ask much of him other than to NOT turn the ball over.
    A QB taken in the top-15 better be capable of doing more than not much.
    So why, if you believe that, are you asking for Dnabb in the other thread?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095380
    Don't forget who the head coach was for 7 of those losses, the dome collapsing, and all of the distractions off the field.

We have a talented team.
    Excellent post Mr. A. Lots of issues lead to a bad season, still doesn't mean we don't have a good team

I, for one, love how well the team played at times with alot of backups on the field.

The ass whoopin we put on the Iggles is indicative of what the season could have been with better QB play.

Yesterday, we improved that position. Everyone seems to think that Ponder has wound up on the best situation......Good team that won't ask much of him other than to NOT turn the ball over.
    I'm talking over the course of his career, not day 1.

I want DNabb to start for us, and I want Ponder to be a franchise QB we can ride to a superbowl.

They decided to take this guy at 12, I'm expecting him to be a GREAT player, not just a standard QB who can play, but not exceptionally well.

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1095379
    Dilfer: 'Christian Ponder is Elvis Grbac'

Now if it was anyone other than Doofus saying it then it could be taken as having some credibility... but not from that muppet
    Thanks for the read my friend.

Elvis Grbac was a beautiful thrower. He threw for 4,000 yards. He did a lot of nice things. Every time it got tough, he melted."
    Sounds like he is describing Mallet Head instead of young Ponder.

No one said Ponder was the 12th-best player in this draft or even the next great quarterback in this league. He doesn't have to be for the Vikings to get where they want to go.
    Two better sentences have ever been put together.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095381
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095380

We have a talented team.

I'm talking over the course of his career, not day 1.

I want DNabb to start for us, and I want Ponder to be a franchise QB we can ride to a superbowl.

They decided to take this guy at 12, I'm expecting him to be a GREAT player, not just a standard QB who can play, but not exceptionally well.
    Sounds as if we are technically saying the same thing. I just expect that out of him this year, especially the first few games, but as the season goes on, I think he will get it figured out pretty quickly.

You see the comment about how he could grasp a new scheme each week (or something like that).

In short, I'm talking this year, your talking for the long term.

I for one, think starting a cat like Dnabb would just delay that process by atleast half a season. Again, not worth getting Dnabb IMHO.

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast