Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095339
    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1095334
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095233
    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1095210
    So those of you that hate on our dink and dunk passing offence better be hating on this pick because that is exactly what we drafted. Does not have the over the top, long throws. Harvin in the slot better be ready to take some more hits coming across the middle. Peterson better have 2000 yards in him.

West Coast Offence. I guess that is what we are going with now. Personally, I would rather draft players to fit into our scheme rather than draft a player to make a system around him. However, with our crap oline, 3 to 5 step drops is all the time he is going to have back there.
    Its not that it is the scheme we are going with now, its the scheme we have been going with.

Some yutz broke the coaching staff down and even added some fidelity with respect to the type of QB they would be looking for. Guess what, he was right.

Its the smartest path.

a. You have a limited time to get him work with the team if they don't get the CBA thing worked out.

b. The team is geared up to support a QB of his caliber. Again a good fit.

c. The whole coaching staff is geared up to support this effort/scheme.

Again, I like the pick, and hindsight being 20/20, now that we know the Deadskins moved back in an effort to take him later, they look sillier than we do IMHO. Dumb deadskins.:laugh:

I do not care where they take a player if he is your player. If Ponder was the first QB on our board, then so be it. The coaching staff likes him for some reason and that is who we are going with. The next 5 years of this team will be tied to this draft pick. If he bust, the team moves to LA. If he is good, we get a new stadium.
    I hear ya, but I don't think he was their first option. Remember, staffs come in with a couple three options. I think Locker was one. Gabbert coud have been an option, they just didn't have the juice to move up to get him. Dalton and Ponder seem to be the other 2 they liked.

Again, great work by the staff in this regard. I did feel a bit bad for Ponder in that they Spielman mentioned Dalton in his presser. What a yutz.

Start him week 1? Probably not. Regardless of if he starts or not, he will play this year. Which means we will not be in the playoffs. Get ready for another 6-10 season. Just another year we have to be patient and say there is always next year. With a pick like this lets hope the light at the end of the tunnel is coming sooner.

Again, if he is the guy, then he is the guy. We need a quarterback and here he is.
    Hold the phone.

Start him now. Why not. It isn't like we are asking him to come in and run a scheme that is unfamiliar to him. He knows the scheme and most of the verbiage is my guess.

He won't be asked to carry the team. We will still run the ball alot, and mix in high percentage, quick throws to PH and hopefully Rice. Dont' forget, although its not his forte, he can also hit BB deep if he is getting one on one matchups.

In the end, he is stepping onto a team that was in the NFC Championship two years ago, the same one that got to the playoffs with lesser QB talent than Ponder has and also won back to back div championships as well.

Long story short, this is the ultimate TEAM sport. Young Ponder is stepping onto a damn good TEAM. And that TEAM can and will help the kid succeed.

I have no doubt.
    6-10 isn't a good team.
    That 6-10 team had issues related to injuries. Inshort, most of the year we had backups on the field.

Again, get the starters back on the field and your issues are all gone.
    Don't forget who the head coach was for 7 of those losses, the dome collapsing, and all of the distractions off the field.

We have a talented team.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

To me, the slap in the face is that Fairley got matched up with Suh in Detroit and now we get to face that combo twice a year for the next ten years! D'oh!!

As far as Ponder goes, I'm happy with who we got, just thought we might have been able to land him later. I do think we were kinda in a hard place, with 3 QBs off the board and approximately 8 teams with QB need picking before our next chance. And as I've been saying, with QB, intelligence and character are more important than straight athletic ability. Ponder earning not only a degree, but a Masters while starting at QB is pretty impressive! No work ethic shortage there I'd wager. Then, there's also the benefit of him being one of the only QBs in the draft with experience running a pro-style system...I watched some highlights this morning and he looks smooth and natural in his drops and moving around in the pocket.

But, this quote might be what gives him the best chance of being the next Peyton Manning:

"Being able to comprehend everything that's going on, and the way I prepare," Ponder said of his strengths. "I watch a lot of film and I'm going to be the hardest worker on my team."
    Not a bad pick considering where we were and that a trade didn't happen. The injuries are a concern, but I've got to assume that we checked all that out and he passed the physical.

At least we didn't just drop our whole load on day one like Atlanta did!! Whew! REally!? 2 firsts, 2 fourths and a second!?!?!?!?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1095336
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095316
    Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1095315
    Everyone forgets the other option we could have traded up in the second round. We could have gotten Quinn or Prince in the first and traded up in the second and still got Ponder.
    I would have rather taken Prince and see how the QB game plays out in the second.

Currently, Mallett, Ponder(assuming we didn't take him and nobody else valued him that much), Stanzi and Dalton would all be around. We have the 11th pick. We could have easily combined a fourth or fifth, or even a pick next year to move around and get a QB we like. Apparantly they ranked the QB's as follows, Ponder, Dalton, Stanzi/Mallett. I'm sure one of those players would be around for us, and we definitely could have made a move.

I'm just pissed, yet again.
    Last time we traded up in the 2nd round... how did that one work out?
    Difference is, those guys listed aren't reaches in the second round.

But I guess that means we'd never trade for them. We ONLY trad efor overvalued players.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1095341
    Don't forget who the head coach was for 7 of those losses, the dome collapsing, and all of the distractions off the field.

We have a talented team.
    Excellent post Mr. A. Lots of issues lead to a bad season, still doesn't mean we don't have a good team

I, for one, love how well the team played at times with alot of backups on the field.

The ass whoopin we put on the Iggles is indicative of what the season could have been with better QB play.

Yesterday, we improved that position. Everyone seems to think that Ponder has wound up on the best situation......Good team that won't ask much of him other than to NOT turn the ball over.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095358
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1095341

We have a talented team.
    Excellent post Mr. A. Lots of issues lead to a bad season, still doesn't mean we don't have a good team

I, for one, love how well the team played at times with alot of backups on the field.

The ass whoopin we put on the Iggles is indicative of what the season could have been with better QB play.

Yesterday, we improved that position. Everyone seems to think that Ponder has wound up on the best situation......Good team that won't ask much of him other than to NOT turn the ball over.
    A QB taken in the top-15 better be capable of doing more than not much.

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1095342
    To me, the slap in the face is that Fairley got matched up with Suh in Detroit and now we get to face that combo twice a year for the next ten years! D'oh!!

As far as Ponder goes, I'm happy with who we got, just thought we might have been able to land him later. I do think we were kinda in a hard place, with 3 QBs off the board and approximately 8 teams with QB need picking before our next chance. And as I've been saying, with QB, intelligence and character are more important than straight athletic ability. Ponder earning not only a degree, but a Masters while starting at QB is pretty impressive! No work ethic shortage there I'd wager. Then, there's also the benefit of him being one of the only QBs in the draft with experience running a pro-style system...I watched some highlights this morning and he looks smooth and natural in his drops and moving around in the pocket.

But, this quote might be what gives him the best chance of being the next Peyton Manning:

"Being able to comprehend everything that's going on, and the way I prepare," Ponder said of his strengths. "I watch a lot of film and I'm going to be the hardest worker on my team."
    Not a bad pick considering where we were and that a trade didn't happen. The injuries are a concern, but I've got to assume that we checked all that out and he passed the physical.

At least we didn't just drop our whole load on day one like Atlanta did!! Whew! REally!? 2 firsts, 2 fourths and a second!?!?!?!?
    Excellent post mountain man.

I've been waiting all day to hear the first meeting with the press. Anyone heard/seen anything up there in the great white north yet?

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095361

I've been waiting all day to hear the first meeting with the press. Anyone heard/seen anything up there in the great white north yet?
    He was just kicked out of the building and the door was padlocked again

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095362

Surely you jest.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095364
    Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095362

Surely you jest.
    no it was sirius the lock out is back on until another ruling Monday

I can just see teams pushing their #1's out and taking their caps away and saying call use Tuesday, if we don't hangup on you come on back :unsure:

Sirius is now reporting ESPN has retracted the lockout story and a stay hasn't been granted yet but a dicision is expected later today

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast