Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "Braddock" #1095234
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095225
    Hopefully he was better than just the best one available. He was the 4th one taken and the success rate of the 4th QB taken is really not all that good when you look at it that way. To be honest since there was such a big run on QB's in the top 10 that didn't really grade out to top 10 I would have preferred to defer until the 2nd or even wait a year but we would have to be worse next year to get a higher pick so it is a tough choice.
    Yeah, because Tom Brady (6th round) was the 3rd QB taken in his draft...

When we drafted Peterson, and everyone was concerned about his injury, and Percy, and everyone was concerned about size and weed. Our later round picks have been mixed, but generally successful for expectations. I am erring on the team's side: they knew they had to have a QB, and they took the best one they could. It wasn't the BPA, but it was the BQBA
    Counter example

A. Troy Williamson
    B. Erasmus James

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1095290
    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1095287
    Marr-

You need offensive linemen. Trust me on this.

imo

again this year, for your team-- (I'm good now for mine, finally- took 4 friggin' years, but I'm happy now)

Friggin' Fairley to the Lions. That's a D-line. I knew I'd hate Schwartz and co. Those bastards in Detroit know what they are doing these days.

I apologize for my fellow Puker fans knee-jerk derision of your pick.

Personally I think I'd have taken Mallett over him, (barely) and the "paper-reach" argument is going to be fodder for all, but I understand the pick, fwiw.

Classic "rock and a hard place" for your FO, imo.
    I would not have taken Mallett over Ponder. Or Newton for that matter. I would have taken Gabbert or Locker, but they were both gone. IMHO we got the best QB remaining.

With that being said, I also believe that he would have been available still in the 20's, but not in the 40's. So the only way we could have taken him later would be to trade down, which they were obviously trying to do. I don't think that there were any teams in the 20's who needed to trade up that far, or would have given us a fair price. And if we had traded down, and we missed our target (again), we would be in worse shape.

Better to reach and hit then wait and miss. I am looking forward to seeing how he performs this year.
    agree, NFLDraftScout.com had him as the 4th best Qb..as most have said on here, we needed a QB & I dont think he would have been around for our 2nd pick..a reach is not always a bad thing.. especially if its a "reach around" lol

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "2beersTommy" #1095324
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1095290
    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1095287
    Marr-

You need offensive linemen. Trust me on this.

imo

again this year, for your team-- (I'm good now for mine, finally- took 4 friggin' years, but I'm happy now)

Friggin' Fairley to the Lions. That's a D-line. I knew I'd hate Schwartz and co. Those bastards in Detroit know what they are doing these days.

I apologize for my fellow Puker fans knee-jerk derision of your pick.

Personally I think I'd have taken Mallett over him, (barely) and the "paper-reach" argument is going to be fodder for all, but I understand the pick, fwiw.

Classic "rock and a hard place" for your FO, imo.
    I would not have taken Mallett over Ponder. Or Newton for that matter. I would have taken Gabbert or Locker, but they were both gone. IMHO we got the best QB remaining.

With that being said, I also believe that he would have been available still in the 20's, but not in the 40's. So the only way we could have taken him later would be to trade down, which they were obviously trying to do. I don't think that there were any teams in the 20's who needed to trade up that far, or would have given us a fair price. And if we had traded down, and we missed our target (again), we would be in worse shape.

Better to reach and hit then wait and miss. I am looking forward to seeing how he performs this year.
    agree, NFLDraftScout.com had him as the 4th best Qb..as most have said on here, we needed a QB & I dont think he would have been around for our 2nd pick..a reach is not always a bad thing.. especially if its a "reach around" lol
    :blink:

You a fan of giving or getting?

(there is no right answer here..)

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095318
    Spielman said today on KFAN that they tried to trade down but they called everyone all the way to 32 and didn't find any takers so they did what they had to do.
    I had the feeling that the Vikings couldn't find any trade dealers. The Front Office looked pretty busy on the phones when they were on the clock.

In that sense, it's understandable that they draft the guy they want, but it's still a major reach in my opinion.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

I really hope Ponder proves to be the real deal, but I can't get over passing up Prince. I know we have drafted CB's high in the recent past (mainly second round), but he was, IMO, BPA. With the injury issues we have had, and how we got burned last year, Prince would have been ideal and then we could have moved Winfield or Ced to safety.

I hope Ponder proves to be better than Prince like last year when I was initially upset on the pick of Harvin over Oher. Time will tell.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095233
    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1095210
    So those of you that hate on our dink and dunk passing offence better be hating on this pick because that is exactly what we drafted. Does not have the over the top, long throws. Harvin in the slot better be ready to take some more hits coming across the middle. Peterson better have 2000 yards in him.

West Coast Offence. I guess that is what we are going with now. Personally, I would rather draft players to fit into our scheme rather than draft a player to make a system around him. However, with our crap oline, 3 to 5 step drops is all the time he is going to have back there.
    Its not that it is the scheme we are going with now, its the scheme we have been going with.

Some yutz broke the coaching staff down and even added some fidelity with respect to the type of QB they would be looking for. Guess what, he was right.

Its the smartest path.

a. You have a limited time to get him work with the team if they don't get the CBA thing worked out.

b. The team is geared up to support a QB of his caliber. Again a good fit.

c. The whole coaching staff is geared up to support this effort/scheme.

Again, I like the pick, and hindsight being 20/20, now that we know the Deadskins moved back in an effort to take him later, they look sillier than we do IMHO. Dumb deadskins.:laugh:

I do not care where they take a player if he is your player. If Ponder was the first QB on our board, then so be it. The coaching staff likes him for some reason and that is who we are going with. The next 5 years of this team will be tied to this draft pick. If he bust, the team moves to LA. If he is good, we get a new stadium.
    I hear ya, but I don't think he was their first option. Remember, staffs come in with a couple three options. I think Locker was one. Gabbert coud have been an option, they just didn't have the juice to move up to get him. Dalton and Ponder seem to be the other 2 they liked.

Again, great work by the staff in this regard. I did feel a bit bad for Ponder in that they Spielman mentioned Dalton in his presser. What a yutz.

Start him week 1? Probably not. Regardless of if he starts or not, he will play this year. Which means we will not be in the playoffs. Get ready for another 6-10 season. Just another year we have to be patient and say there is always next year. With a pick like this lets hope the light at the end of the tunnel is coming sooner.

Again, if he is the guy, then he is the guy. We need a quarterback and here he is.
    Hold the phone.

Start him now. Why not. It isn't like we are asking him to come in and run a scheme that is unfamiliar to him. He knows the scheme and most of the verbiage is my guess.

He won't be asked to carry the team. We will still run the ball alot, and mix in high percentage, quick throws to PH and hopefully Rice. Dont' forget, although its not his forte, he can also hit BB deep if he is getting one on one matchups.

In the end, he is stepping onto a team that was in the NFC Championship two years ago, the same one that got to the playoffs with lesser QB talent than Ponder has and also won back to back div championships as well.

Long story short, this is the ultimate TEAM sport. Young Ponder is stepping onto a damn good TEAM. And that TEAM can and will help the kid succeed.

I have no doubt.
    6-10 isn't a good team.
    We're bringing purple back.

Quote Originally Posted by "ConnecticutViking" #1095276
    Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1095267
    Quote Originally Posted by "ConnecticutViking" #1095264
    +1
    With a need at DE and DT, I can not believe we passed on Fairley and Quinn! This guy could have been picked up in the second round and if not, then we could have gone the Free agent route. This team is built around AD, and tough Defense, and a qb who can manage the game. We are letting our D get long in the tooth.
    Fraid I don't agree that he would be there in the second round. Our need for a QB wasn't the best kept secret in the world and I suspect he would go before the likes of Mallet etc. We do have a need at DT for sure so I'm hoping to see that addressed in the second round.
    Could have been there, but may not have been? No one knows for sure. In my mind an early number one pick needs to be an impact player, not an injury risk. Bleacher report has this guy going somewhere in the 2-4 rounds. You are right, he may not have been there in the second round, but I believe we are wrong for settling on a guy when two impact defensive linemen are staring at you. Now we have to see Fairley twice a year in our own division.
    2nd round QBs bust. And with Locker going where he did, we had to pull the trigger on the QB we wanted when we did. In saying that, I still think its not the best decision we could have made. Fairley and Suh are going to eat our weak ass oline for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Be prepared to go 0-6 in the division.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095316
    Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1095315
    Everyone forgets the other option we could have traded up in the second round. We could have gotten Quinn or Prince in the first and traded up in the second and still got Ponder.
    I would have rather taken Prince and see how the QB game plays out in the second.

Currently, Mallett, Ponder(assuming we didn't take him and nobody else valued him that much), Stanzi and Dalton would all be around. We have the 11th pick. We could have easily combined a fourth or fifth, or even a pick next year to move around and get a QB we like. Apparantly they ranked the QB's as follows, Ponder, Dalton, Stanzi/Mallett. I'm sure one of those players would be around for us, and we definitely could have made a move.

I'm just pissed, yet again.
    Last time we traded up in the 2nd round... how did that one work out?

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I was like "what the hell" at first but after reading and watching videos the kid has grew on me.

I am not and never will be a fan of drafting college quarterbacks that play in spread offenses. So I never was high on Newton, Locker, or Gabbert. Ryan Mallet was the guy I liked but I honestly did not know anything about Ponder.

All I can say is you cannot teach football IQ. You either have it and succeed or you don't. Ponder is fundamentally rock solid. He is comfortable under center but he is just as comfortable as Gabbert at throwing on the run. This kid is no stiff.

At the end of the day a quarterback has to be accurate. I could careless if he could sling it 60 yards.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1095334
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095233
    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1095210
    So those of you that hate on our dink and dunk passing offence better be hating on this pick because that is exactly what we drafted. Does not have the over the top, long throws. Harvin in the slot better be ready to take some more hits coming across the middle. Peterson better have 2000 yards in him.

West Coast Offence. I guess that is what we are going with now. Personally, I would rather draft players to fit into our scheme rather than draft a player to make a system around him. However, with our crap oline, 3 to 5 step drops is all the time he is going to have back there.
    Its not that it is the scheme we are going with now, its the scheme we have been going with.

Some yutz broke the coaching staff down and even added some fidelity with respect to the type of QB they would be looking for. Guess what, he was right.

Its the smartest path.

a. You have a limited time to get him work with the team if they don't get the CBA thing worked out.

b. The team is geared up to support a QB of his caliber. Again a good fit.

c. The whole coaching staff is geared up to support this effort/scheme.

Again, I like the pick, and hindsight being 20/20, now that we know the Deadskins moved back in an effort to take him later, they look sillier than we do IMHO. Dumb deadskins.:laugh:

I do not care where they take a player if he is your player. If Ponder was the first QB on our board, then so be it. The coaching staff likes him for some reason and that is who we are going with. The next 5 years of this team will be tied to this draft pick. If he bust, the team moves to LA. If he is good, we get a new stadium.
    I hear ya, but I don't think he was their first option. Remember, staffs come in with a couple three options. I think Locker was one. Gabbert coud have been an option, they just didn't have the juice to move up to get him. Dalton and Ponder seem to be the other 2 they liked.

Again, great work by the staff in this regard. I did feel a bit bad for Ponder in that they Spielman mentioned Dalton in his presser. What a yutz.

Start him week 1? Probably not. Regardless of if he starts or not, he will play this year. Which means we will not be in the playoffs. Get ready for another 6-10 season. Just another year we have to be patient and say there is always next year. With a pick like this lets hope the light at the end of the tunnel is coming sooner.

Again, if he is the guy, then he is the guy. We need a quarterback and here he is.
    Hold the phone.

Start him now. Why not. It isn't like we are asking him to come in and run a scheme that is unfamiliar to him. He knows the scheme and most of the verbiage is my guess.

He won't be asked to carry the team. We will still run the ball alot, and mix in high percentage, quick throws to PH and hopefully Rice. Dont' forget, although its not his forte, he can also hit BB deep if he is getting one on one matchups.

In the end, he is stepping onto a team that was in the NFC Championship two years ago, the same one that got to the playoffs with lesser QB talent than Ponder has and also won back to back div championships as well.

Long story short, this is the ultimate TEAM sport. Young Ponder is stepping onto a damn good TEAM. And that TEAM can and will help the kid succeed.

I have no doubt.
    6-10 isn't a good team.
    That 6-10 team had issues related to injuries. Inshort, most of the year we had backups on the field.

Again, get the starters back on the field and your issues are all gone.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast