Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast
    dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1095312
    Fairly has all the talent in the world but I see bust. He does not work hard and when he makes his money could be a huge bust IMO.
    I'm all for that concept. :P

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095280

Ground game was fine with CT and got better with AD as they added pieces. Was good enough to win back to back division titles pre noodle and then got to the NFFC championship game.
    They were just lucky to be there when the rest of the division was down. No way that line would produce a division winner against the guys we will face this year and they would not have won the division last year.

Do some research on that last game by the way. In the end, when the starters are in there the OL is effective.
    That doesn't matter. The line needs to also be effective when starters go down or the team will never go anywhere. The Packers and Bears could have used the injury card last year but sucked it up and ended up playing right through the post season.

Young Ponder, behind our starters will be fine and our OL will love him.
    Jesus wouldn't have been fine behind our OL even if we played on water.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Everyone forgets the other option we could have traded up in the second round. We could have gotten Quinn or Prince in the first and traded up in the second and still got Ponder.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1095315
    Everyone forgets the other option we could have traded up in the second round. We could have gotten Quinn or Prince in the first and traded up in the second and still got Ponder.
    I would have rather taken Prince and see how the QB game plays out in the second.

Currently, Mallett, Ponder(assuming we didn't take him and nobody else valued him that much), Stanzi and Dalton would all be around. We have the 11th pick. We could have easily combined a fourth or fifth, or even a pick next year to move around and get a QB we like. Apparantly they ranked the QB's as follows, Ponder, Dalton, Stanzi/Mallett. I'm sure one of those players would be around for us, and we definitely could have made a move.

I'm just pissed, yet again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1095293
    Ponder is the first offensive player out of Florida State to go in the 1st round since Alex Barron in 2005.

He's one of 4 since 2000. Peter Warrick 2000, Javon Walker 2002, Alex Barron 2005, Christian Ponder 2011.

Before last night, there hadn't been an offensive player drafted out of Florida State since 2007(Lorenzo Booker, Mario Henderson, Chris Davis.)

Let's see what he can do with some weapons.
    He is also the 3rd QB we have drafted in the 1st round in 51 seasons or an average of 1 QB in the 1st every 17 years. I am in my mid 40's and this is the 3rd one I have seen.

Tommy Kramer-1977
    Daunte Culpepper-1999
    Christian Ponder- 2011.

Blog Entries

Spielman said today on KFAN that they tried to trade down but they called everyone all the way to 32 and didn't find any takers so they did what they had to do. They also had info that Washington was going to take Ponder at 16 and they felt they needed to just get him at 12. IMHO I would have rather seen a few others like Prince or even Fairley to keep him from the Lions or an OT but I am willing to wait and see how things shake out.

I will say one thing- No matter how the draft worked out I didn't think we would improve our record in the next season the way the division is stacking up and I expect us to be fighting to stay out of the cellar as opposed to fighting for the division championship for a few years barring injury to any of the other NFCN QB's.

It's going to be a bumpy ride for a few years.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "TheAnimal93" #1095133
    Well, we drafted a smart qb, that is the #1 qualification on my list, we'll see
    we'll see if he plays smart on the field.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095317
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1095293
    Ponder is the first offensive player out of Florida State to go in the 1st round since Alex Barron in 2005.

He's one of 4 since 2000. Peter Warrick 2000, Javon Walker 2002, Alex Barron 2005, Christian Ponder 2011.

Before last night, there hadn't been an offensive player drafted out of Florida State since 2007(Lorenzo Booker, Mario Henderson, Chris Davis.)

Let's see what he can do with some weapons.
    He is also the 3rd QB we have drafted in the 1st round in 51 seasons or an average of 1 QB in the 1st every 17 years. I am in my mid 40's and this is the 3rd one I have seen.

Tommy Kramer-1977
    Daunte Culpepper-1999
    Christian Ponder- 2011.
    I appreciate the fact that they recognized that the QB position needed a significant investment. I just hope they know what they are doing with Ponder and they make this thing work.

I also believe that many QB "busts" are based on the situation they are placed in and that many QB's that enter the NFL have the skills to exceed. Whether or not we are one of those organizations that can take a decent QB talent and make him a star is probably the bigger question than the pick itself.

Ponder appears to have the maturity and self confidence that plays heavily on success. If he can stay healthy, he just may be a long term answer for the Vikings.

Got to say, I wasn't crazy about the pick though. Fortunately, I have my ignorance to fall back on.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095318
    They also had info that Washington was going to take Ponder at 16 and they felt they needed to just get him at 12.
    That in itself is either pure bullshit, or Spielman truly is a moron.

Redskins traded out of 16 to 10, last I checked 12 picks after 10. Unless I'm missing some fundamental law of mathematics.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1095210
    So those of you that hate on our dink and dunk passing offence better be hating on this pick because that is exactly what we drafted. Does not have the over the top, long throws. Harvin in the slot better be ready to take some more hits coming across the middle. Peterson better have 2000 yards in him.

West Coast Offence. I guess that is what we are going with now. Personally, I would rather draft players to fit into our scheme rather than draft a player to make a system around him. However, with our crap oline, 3 to 5 step drops is all the time he is going to have back there.

I do not care where they take a player if he is your player. If Ponder was the first QB on our board, then so be it. The coaching staff likes him for some reason and that is who we are going with. The next 5 years of this team will be tied to this draft pick. If he bust, the team moves to LA. If he is good, we get a new stadium.

Start him week 1? Probably not. Regardless of if he starts or not, he will play this year. Which means we will not be in the playoffs. Get ready for another 6-10 season. Just another year we have to be patient and say there is always next year. With a pick like this lets hope the light at the end of the tunnel is coming sooner.

Again, if he is the guy, then he is the guy. We need a quarterback and here he is.
    ^^^this^^^^, concern here is if he doesnt have a over the top arm, we're facing a stacked in the box defense game in & game out. I also heard on espn radio that he might need surgery for his elbow AND shoulder??

Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 22 ... LastLast