Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1095267
    Quote Originally Posted by "ConnecticutViking" #1095264
    +1
    With a need at DE and DT, I can not believe we passed on Fairley and Quinn! This guy could have been picked up in the second round and if not, then we could have gone the Free agent route. This team is built around AD, and tough Defense, and a qb who can manage the game. We are letting our D get long in the tooth.
    Fraid I don't agree that he would be there in the second round. Our need for a QB wasn't the best kept secret in the world and I suspect he would go before the likes of Mallet etc. We do have a need at DT for sure so I'm hoping to see that addressed in the second round.
    Anglos right. No way he is there past 25, let alone 16 and possibly even 15.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Dallas Morning News writer predicts Redskins will take Florida State QB Christian Ponder in NFL draft

Florida State QB Christian Ponder visited the Redskins this week

They got Kerrigan, another they targeted, but I think they messed up a bit here and missed out on their top guy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Game Changers Film Study

Game Changers QB's hit the field

Mooch said right away after the pick, "Great Pick".

I know I was upset about not getting Fairely last night but right now I think the staff made great decision.

dfosterf is offline Coach

Marr-

You need offensive linemen. Trust me on this.

imo

again this year, for your team-- (I'm good now for mine, finally- took 4 friggin' years, but I'm happy now)

Friggin' Fairley to the Lions. That's a D-line. I knew I'd hate Schwartz and co. Those bastards in Detroit know what they are doing these days.

I apologize for my fellow Puker fans knee-jerk derision of your pick.

Personally I think I'd have taken Mallett over him, (barely) and the "paper-reach" argument is going to be fodder for all, but I understand the pick, fwiw.

Classic "rock and a hard place" for your FO, imo.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1095253
    I guess we can all agree that at least we got a QB, although it was a bit of a reach to ensure we at least got one.

Question is, do you feel CP is "NFL ready" & would be able to start for us or does he need a year or two to develop & we MUST find a veteran QB in FA?
    I think that is a great question.

IMHO he is the QB who will be most ready to start week 1 if we have a shortened offseason. Do we need to look for a veteran? No. But if there is one available in FA I am sure we will entertain the possibility. All in all, I have a feeling that we will see him starting this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1095287
    Marr-

imo

again this year, for your team-- (I'm good now for mine, finally- took 4 friggin' years, but I'm happy now)

Friggin' Fairley to the Lions. That's a D-line. I knew I'd hate Schwartz and co. Those bastards in Detroit know what they are doing these days.

Personally I think I'd have taken Mallett over him, (barely) and the "paper-reach" argument is going to be fodder for all, but I understand the pick, fwiw.

I would not have taken Mallett over Ponder. Or Newton for that matter. I would have taken Gabbert or Locker, but they were both gone. IMHO we got the best QB remaining.

With that being said, I also believe that he would have been available still in the 20's, but not in the 40's. So the only way we could have taken him later would be to trade down, which they were obviously trying to do. I don't think that there were any teams in the 20's who needed to trade up that far, or would have given us a fair price. And if we had traded down, and we missed our target (again), we would be in worse shape.

Better to reach and hit then wait and miss. I am looking forward to seeing how he performs this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1095287
    Marr-

imo

First, most people are grading our OL play off of last year when we had most of our starters out at one point or another.

You above all people know how your QB will get killed when that happens. MIx in a bit of imobility in your QB and your OL will look just as shitty my friend.

In the end, its all about movement. With our starters in and a young mobile QB who also, by the way, has the best back in the league behind him, holding the line a bit, he will be fine behind our starters.

Could they be upgrade? Sure, not saying that, I'm just saying we need to fix the other line first and possibly add a LB and even a S if we can't resign Husain.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Ponder is the first offensive player out of Florida State to go in the 1st round since Alex Barron in 2005.

He's one of 4 since 2000. Peter Warrick 2000, Javon Walker 2002, Alex Barron 2005, Christian Ponder 2011.

Before last night, there hadn't been an offensive player drafted out of Florida State since 2007(Lorenzo Booker, Mario Henderson, Chris Davis.)

Let's see what he can do with some weapons.

ESPN.com – Todd McShay
    “If he can stay healthy, which was a problem last year, you have quarterback that’s ready to play now, has great football intelligence and is a throw-back type of quarterback. He’s tough, he will get out of the pocket and make some throws on the run and he can be very accurate throwing short to intermediate. He doesn’t have the great arm strength but they don’t need that in this West Coast-style offense.”

ESPN.com (NFC North Blog) – Kevin Seifert
    “So what are they getting in Ponder? It won’t be the mobility of Cam Newton or Locker, and Ponder isn’t as smooth of a passer as Gabbert. But the Vikings undoubtedly got one of the smartest quarterbacks in the draft, one who scored a 37 on his Wonderlic test and who graduated from Florida State in 2 1/2 years. He completed his MBA in May 2010 and spent last season working on a second graduate degree in sports management.”

NFL.com – Mike Mayock
    “(VP of player personnel) Rick Spielman is tied at the hip with this young quarterback. Man, he’s betting an awful lot on a kid that most thought would go between 25 and 40.”

CBSsports.com – Pete Prisco
    “I love this pick. I think he will be the best in this class. Smart. Tough. Sees the field. Great move, Vikings.”

NationalFootballPost.com – Matt Bowen
    “I do see Ponder developing into a starting QB in this league; however, there was plenty of defensive line talent (Fairley, Quinn, Kerrigan, Jordan, etc.) sitting by the phone at No.12.”

ProFootballWeekly.com – Nolan Nawrocki
    “Rick Spielman and coach Leslie Frazier desperately needed a new franchise quarterback with Brett Favre moving on. Ponder is a great fit for Bill Musgrave’s West Coast offense. A strong Senior Bowl and pro-day workouts elevated his draft stock. The biggest challenge for Ponder could be staying healthy, having been snake bitten by injuries in college.”

SI.com – Peter King
    “Christian Ponder is, quite simply, the classic example of a quarterback who was overpicked in the first round, the way we’d heard so many of them would be. But the Vikings obviously figured they liked Locker and Ponder, and they couldn’t trade down to gather currency in rounds two or three. So they sat at 12 and picked a developmental quarterback they felt they had to have.”

What Are The Pundits Saying About Ponder?

The one I liked the best......

And as for Mr. Ponder himself – @cponder7: “It’s great to be a MINNESOTA VIKING!!!!!!!!”

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Fairly has all the talent in the world but I see bust. He does not work hard and when he makes his money could be a huge bust IMO.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast