Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    The game was 24-17. I predicted we'd lose 27-17 (which it would have been if the Chargers had kicked a FG on 4th & 20 instead of going for it)

People have said "Too many formations", "Poor play calling".

Could it have been lack of execution, unpreparedness & lack of practice together as a team? Lack of a deep threat WR?

I said before that keeping our starters out of the last preseason game, when they needed to play as much as possible as a unit, would bite us in the ass. Not only did he keep them out of the game, but limited their practices as well. It showed.

What also showed was our lack of a deep threat. As I feared, it kept most of their defenders in the box & it stymied our short passing game as well as kept AD from breaking more long runs.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    I think Singer hit a lot on the head. We have no downfield threat that other teams respect or fear. Berrian does not scare anybody and he isn't catching what is thrown to him. Jenkins is a possession guy and Harvin isn't going to be a downfield threat from the slot consistently, unless something else changes. Harvin becomes a threat when safeties roll to the outside WR deep and expose the middle for a skinny post. That didn't happen.

I can't sit here and explain why the hell our offense is anemic. We did absolutely nothing. I don't love the wildcat formation, but when all else is not working, I can't completely bash somebody for trying something else. It didn't work. They didn't stick with it, so it isn't as bad as many seem to think. Perhaps opening a drive with out would have been better, but we're couch coaches with hindsight, so we have to keep that in perspective.

I can't figure out what happened to our TEs today. We have two quality TEs and we saw nothing from them.

And I agree with another previous posted. It is hard to win when your punter is one of your best players on the field. Kluwe for president.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The game was 24-17. I predicted we'd lose 27-17 (which it would have been if the Chargers had kicked a FG on 4th & 20 instead of going for it)

People have said "Too many formations", "Poor play calling".

Could it have been lack of execution, unpreparedness & lack of practice together as a team? Lack of a deep threat WR?

I said before that keeping our starters out of the last preseason game, when they needed to play as much as possible as a unit, would bite us in the ass. Not only did he keep them out of the game, but limited their practices as well. It showed.

What also showed was our lack of a deep threat. As I feared, it kept most of their defenders in the box & it stymied our short passing game as well as kept AD from breaking more long runs.
    We're back on the same page...

I am not a fan of our Receiver corps. I don't think it matters who is at QB right now, without a receiver to stretch the field, the Defense will cheat up on you and take away your short game - just like San Diego did to us.

We, meanwhile, were playing back to keep their deep guys contained.

See a difference?

Like Singer said, until we get a REAL deep threat (And Berrian has proven for 3 years straight that he is NOT), we're going to struggle to move the ball.

It's not too late to give Moss a call...

Caine

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    We're back on the same page...

I am not a fan of our Receiver corps. I don't think it matters who is at QB right now, without a receiver to stretch the field, the Defense will cheat up on you and take away your short game - just like San Diego did to us.

We, meanwhile, were playing back to keep their deep guys contained.

See a difference?

Like Singer said, until we get a REAL deep threat (And Berrian has proven for 3 years straight that he is NOT), we're going to struggle to move the ball.

Caine

10char

I'm hearing, "We need to give the ball to AD more"?

I'm hearing, We need to throw more passes to AD"?

We're so predictable now with him in the backfield & passing a mere 15 times. Just how much more predictable will we be if we throw a chunk of those 15 passes to AD as well?

He's a hell of a RB & needs his share of both touches & catches, but we can't rely on him to be a 1 man show. Defenses wise up on that rather quickly.

We need to be able to spread the ball around & disguise what we are going to do & be less predictable.

Did K-Rud even play? I don't recall a single ball thrown his way.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    7/15 for 39yrds is not a passing game. We also have more than 2 recievers. Passing to them would be a good idea. For example Rivers passed to no less than 8 recievers today. Without a passing game our running game will simply fail. Not sure who is to blame for this but whomever it is lets hope they fix it soon.

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

Caine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmJcUlrkMNg

Bring the man back home & let him retire a Viking.

The best way to pull defenses out of the box is to counter the run game with a deep threat WR that people respect & use 2 players to cover.
    Last edited by singersp; 09-11-2011 at 10:40 PM.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Exactly. This team is frustrating as hell. We had the opportunity to sign a couple good WR options, we got Jenkins instead. Add Edwards and Jones, and our receiver corps goes from bad to excellent right away. Those two on the outside, Harvin in the slot, teams won't be able to key on the run like the Chargers did because even TJ could make them pay with a couple weapons.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    (sigh)

I will preface this by saying that I did not have the opportunity to watch the game. I caught some highlights and scanned some stats, but that really does not tell the tale nearly well enough.

The sky is falling.

McNabb threw a pick on his first pass attempt. Oh, boy, we're doomed. PLEASE! It was batted at the line, which happens all the time, and the INT itself was a spectacular play. I don't fault Donovan much for this one. First attempt in his first game with a new team, on the road. He seemed to be pressing, and that may be all there was to it.

The sky is falling!

In the "Keys to the season" thread I brought up two things that were borne out in this game. First, Special Teams. A big KO return from Harvin to start us off was, in the end, the only thing that kept us in this game. Also, coverage was good from what I can tell.

Second. discipline and focus. This is where we failed late in the game. Penalties that never should have happened. I do understand some of the reasons. The guys had to have been pretty frustrated by that point, but you have GOT TO STAY FOCUSED.

The SKY is falling!

I'm not going to say much about play calling/selection because, again, I didn't see that game and most of that is situational. The one thing that I do want to mention is those wildcat/blazer/trick plays that almost everyone is complaining about. I actually have no problem with these, and here is why:

1) It's the first game of the season, after a shortened off-season.

2) You are on the road in a game you are not expected to win anyway.

3) It's a non-conference game.

4) Not much else was working at that point.

This was probably the best possible time to try these plays.

The SKY is FALLING!

So it goes. We lost a game we were supposed to lose. Our offense reportedly looked lame/anemic/horrible (choose one). Defense was decent with a few lapses against one of the top passing offenses in the game. Special teams looked good, with the possible exception (in some people's minds) of kickoff depth.

And we lost. By a total of seven points. One Touchdown.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

I've predicted an 8-8 season for our Vikings. Many of you are close with me on that. Given this, I can't feel too bad about this loss. Two of the three facets of the game are in good enough shape, IMO, to hold their own if the third can just get going. And it will. It has to. It can't be much worse that what we saw today.

And once it DOES get going... and we're not facing a serious contender team... and everyone has a little bit of real football under their belts...

What will you be saying then?

Now I have to go run and hide in the fallout shelter.
    Last edited by Traveling_Vike; 09-11-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typo corrections

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    I didn't expect us to win this game, but I thought it was going to be a lot worse. Chargers beat us the completely opposite way that I thought they would. They were able to run the ball up the middle multiple times at key times for first downs. I assume they would go 3 or 4 wide and just bomb it over the top to their monster receivers.

Winfield was our best player. I don't think there was more than 3 plays in a row without his name on it. What a beast.

Nothing more really to say about today other than Peterson did not get the ball enough, McNabb was garbage, I liked the way the d-line played in passing situations getting a fair amount of pressure, and the rest of the defensive for the majority of the game was rather good. Maybe we ran out of gas in the hot weather. The rest of the team kind of blows.

Moving forward, next week is Tampa Bay. They just got crushed by the Lions. Should be a very competitive game in the Dome and I think we might actually have a chance to win. No turnovers and we got a good shot at winning the game 13-7 or some dumb low score like that.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast