Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

OFFICIAL BUCS vs VIKINGS POSTGAME DISCUSSION

Relax, at least your liver is functioning normally. :-)
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    well what did we learn last nite.. (or this morning for some).. first off.. no chicken little the sky is not falling. we are who we thought we were.. a rebuilding team.

1. the Vikes are a young, any given sunday team. what does this mean? it means any given sunday we could be a thorn in a teams side.. pull out a win, keep it close, or give up the big plays. was something more expected? really? last season we were 3-13.. we have how many rookie/2nd year players starting.. this is how this team should be judged, not as a contender, not as a walkover, but as a team that any given sunday can pull out the stops and surprise people.

2. coaching.. some people are griping about the non adjustments.. i'd like to point out the D did adjust, we did stop the run. how many 3rd and longs were there in the 2nd half? now.. adjusting the pass D? well we lost our best CB.. went with the backups.. and well.. they showed why they are backups. especially vs some studly wr's. the O? well.. rustymusty.. i don't see that playbook changing @ all.. you see the struggles.. why not work some anti blitzing plays.. where's Rudy? Ellison? some of those motion plays? ok.. we didn't get to see a lot of the plays develop as ponder was running to save his arse.. but comeone...

3. WR's/.....I won't harp on simpson right now.. he made a catch.. 2 actually fumbled one away. he woulda had another but he let the cb keep him sidelined.. and ofc ponder tossed it just outta bounds for him. he shoulda been another 3 feet inside the field but without the seperation that's not gonna happen. sure PH and Rudy were spied on all nite. well of course!! who else they gonna key on? we soooo NEED our wr's to get open which is not happening.. teams know they can man up and be safe.. someone.. or as a group they NEEEEEEEEED to step up. or this offense will remain a stutter, stutter, stutter, move the ball, stutter, stutter the rest of the year.

4. AP.. i'm sooo glad we still have you.. PH.. thank you for giving your all.

5. Ponder.. there were some nice throws even before garbage time.. and there was a lot of holy shite moments of throw it away, except when 6 drives are killed because we throw it away. well.. and sully didn't help with that early, roll the ball to the qb snap.. I saw a lot of things before the game that showed me that ponder and freeman are close in their development. the difference? ponder has PH.. freeman has Jackson, williamson. both have te's that can catch, and both have a rb that can run. it is funny to see a lot of people praise ponder while we're winning, and call for his nutz when we loose.. i'll sit back and keep note, this one goes as a bit - in the spreadsheet, at the end of the year we'll see how the +/-'s look. take the long week and work on your #$%$..

6. Walsh.. sure we got a lot of touchbacks.. but how come walsh's kicks went into the endzone, yet ph only got to return one as theirs were almost in the stands every kick? and Kluwe?? sure you arn't divine.. you'll make mistakes.. but man.. where's the boom?

7. OL.. there are good days.. there are bad days.. and there are.. someone bring the smelling salt days.. please bring back the good.. reduce the bad.. and please someone bring the smelling salts!!! that includes you sully..

8. we should start a collection and offer it to the OL of apposing teams to start a fight with Jared every game. talk about the wrong guy to piss off.. but for us.. Jared.. PLEASE GET PISSED OFF EVERY GAME.. EVERY SNAP!!!!

9. D.. seems last 2 games we've had some tackling issues.. clean that up.. and clean it up quick. Turnovers.. where are they? BRobb.. sit with the wr's and learn to catch!! (great job btw blocking how many passes?)
    the Dline as a whole was playing most of the time on their side of the ball. that's what we need.. but that means the back end guys do what they need. we missed somewhere there.. personel? package? positions? i'm not a coach.. i can't fix it.. but #$%#% somebody better.

10. the team did play till the end. there was no give up, there was a breakdown.. but it was more of the first half then the 2nd. when's the last time the vikes let a rb get 100 yards in the 1st half? i'm still to shocked to go look @ the stats..there were some good plays, some resemblence of the winning vikes.. and a lot of resemblence of the loosing vikes.. dad said in the halftime.. "You learn more from failure then from success" well.. lets hope that's true for the purple n gold.

extra point
    we really need some life sparked into the club. i'll leave it to the vets to raise the bar, expect more from each player, and continue to develop as a team. This is what we're doing this year, developing. I won't sit here and proclaim i know how to fix things, or who can, or doing what will.. but as a fan i'd like to see something.. show me your improving.. fromt he coaches to the subs.. we know your young.. we know your rebuilding.. we know your developing. that's not gonna give you a get out of the hot seat free card.. but it does give you some breathing room. the vikes have made great strides this year in building a franchise that WILL be a contender, lets see those strides keep happening!

SKOL we have a winning record 8 games into the season.. how many really thought that would be the case?

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    I am not a Ponder fan... he will have his ups and downs. The four things that really killed us:

1. Run Defense! We were shredded! WTF
    2. Picking up the Blitz, O-line, WTF
    3. Kluwe, gave great field positions on punts! WTF
    4. Turnovers, WTF

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    No one seems to really be identifying the issue.
    The problem is we can't complete passes past 10 yards.
    Because of that, defenses are packing the box and blitzing.
    Our Oline isn't perfect but when you see 7 guys, who do you pick up.
    Our Qb has to be able to hurt defenses with longer passes. Teams know even if they send the house, they are giving up a 5 yard dumpoff at best. They are crowding the line and we're not hurting them for it.

Yes the defense gave up 100+ yards on the ground. However, why is it when the defense is good and saves the offense thats ok. However, when the defense is bad... they are the lone cause of the issues.... Would it matter if we got off the field on 3rd and long? We couldn't make a first down to save our life.

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Very disappointing game. Ponder play like crap, Simpson is a huge disappointment. I can't believe Doug Martin was allowed to have over 200 yards rushing and receiving. Not surprisingly the bright spots were Peterson and Harvin.

You gotta figure the Vikings need the same record in the 2nd half of the season as the 1st half of the season to have a shot at the playoffs....against a much harder schedule as we all know. ughghghghgh
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    1. .....we have how many rookie/2nd year players starting.. this is how this team should be judged
    Why don't you tell us how many? We don't have as many as people want to believe & some of the positions should be playing good in their 2nd year. We have several good players. How many teams have a great WR & a great RB leading or very near the top of their positions?

1st year or 2nd, we still have some of those players playing at a high level out there. It's not like they are playing like shit.

2. coaching.. ...well we lost our best CB.. went with the backups.. and well.. they showed why they are backups..
    We're drafting backups with our 3rd draft pick now?

3. WR's/.....I won't harp on simpson right now.. he made a catch.. 2 actually fumbled one away. he woulda had another but he let the cb keep him sidelined.. and ofc ponder tossed it just outta bounds for him. he shoulda been another 3 feet inside the field but without the seperation that's not gonna happen.....
    He wouldn't have had another. The ball was thrown out of bounds. Had Simpson been 3 more feet in bounds, the ball would still have been thrown out of bounds except Simpson would have been 3 feet further away from it. It's up to Ponder to throw a catchable ball that's inbounds. It's up to Simpson to make an adjustment if need be.

5. Ponder.. there were some nice throws even before garbage time.. and there was a lot of holy shite moments of throw it away, except when 6 drives are killed because we throw it away.
    I believe there were a number of poor throws or bad decisions also. Let's not just say there were good throws & throw aways. That attempt of a bubble pass to PH was piss poor. -1 yard passing in the 3rd quarter? WTF?

He makes some damn fine throws, but can throw some damn bad ones too. We need to see more consistency with the damn fine throws that are further out than 5 yards. Up until last night, his longest TD pass was 15 yards which really shocked me considering how many yards PH gets on YAC.

8. we should start a collection and offer it to the OL of apposing teams to start a fight with Jared every game. talk about the wrong guy to piss off.. but for us.. Jared.. PLEASE GET PISSED OFF EVERY GAME.. EVERY SNAP!!!!
    LOL! Wouldn't that be like putting a bounty on our own JA?

9. D.. seems last 2 games we've had some tackling issues.. clean that up.. and clean it up quick. Turnovers.. where are they? BRobb.. sit with the wr's and learn to catch!! (great job btw blocking how many passes?)
    4 I believe.

10. the team did play till the end. there was no give up, there was a breakdown
    Ponder seems to throw better on longer passes when we are in crunch time, like those 2 passes to Jenkins. It seems the less time he has to think about the throw, the better it sails. Sort of like buck fever. If he has time to think about it, he's less accurate. Not always, but I have noticed it late in games.

extra point
    I had always wondered if Ponder is not seeing open guys or if our receivers were getting open & I payed closer attention to it earlier in the game. On some of those replays of passing downs, the camera POV was from behind Ponder. I'm looking for receivers down field for Ponder to target & there were none, simply because they weren't sent down field. It looked as if they just kept them near the LOS for blocking or checking down.

It's hard to complete a pass if there isn't but 1 receiver going out to catch the pass. Where are all his options? If you noticed what Tampa Bay did, on any given pass they stretched the field by sending receivers down the sidelines and across the middle giving Freeman several choices to go to.
    Last edited by singersp; 10-26-2012 at 05:33 PM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    I am not a Ponder fan... he will have his ups and downs. The four things that really killed us:

2. Picking up the Blitz, O-line, WTF
    That isn't all on the OL. They have their own DL to worry about. AD's ability to pick up the blitz is poor to mediocre at best. When he finally does have one good pick up, like he did last night, it becomes a highlight.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    But to be fair, Freeman's stats came when the game counted and Ponder's came in garbage time lol. Ponder is starting to make me miss Tjoke, and that's pretty bad. I don't have much to say, I got all my negative nancy out in the chat room during the game with the others and now I'm spent.

I heard Cook is out with a broken wrist now. We've been exposed and we're looking at a 6-10 finish if we don't make some adjustments fast. Oh wait, did I say adjustments? Fuck it, we're done. Someone tell me why Webb didn't replace Ponder at some point in the 2nd half? Webb is good at getting us back into games and at providing a needed spark. Frazier clueless!

On ESPN they just said the Vikings are now 0 for their last 22 games when trailing by 10 or more points at half. That feels about right, this team never seems to comeback when it gets behind. I have a feeling we're stuck in another Childress/Tjoke situation with Frazier/Ponder.
    So, the next head coach of the Minneosta Vikings should be?

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post

1. Run Defense! We were shredded! WTF +1
    2. Picking up the Blitz, O-line, WTF + 100000000000
    3. Kluwe, gave great field positions on punts! WTF +1
    4. Turnovers, WTF
    Ugh

How can we have a deep threat if Ponder has 0.5 seconds to throw it?
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    That isn't all on the OL. They have their own DL to worry about. AD's ability to pick up the blitz is poor to mediocre at best. When he finally does have one good pick up, like he did last night, it becomes a highlight.
    They way he seems to enjoy contact, that flattening a blitzing LB or S waould be right up his alley. He looks lost.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast