Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re:The Official Bryant Mckinnie Thread

I meant Ryan Clady, not Joe Staley. Brain fart.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    I would like everyone ripping on McKinnie to name 5 left tackles in the NFL they'd rather have than him and why, off the top of their heads.
    I can't do that because I don't study LTs enough to know each and every one of them.

That said - I *have* watched McKinnie enough to know that he has always been susceptible to speed rushers. And that he has always stood around and done nothing once beaten.

=Z=
    You say that as if there is something he can do once being beat. The play's over if he gets beat, he's pass blocking. If his man beats him, the QB has to get rid of it, or gets sacked. Unless a back picks him up. It's not like he can get downfield to block on a pass.

And to the first part, it's not just that you don't study them, it's that there aren't 5 better LTs in the NFL right now. The ones I can think of are: Joe Thomas, Jason Peters are better. Jordan Gross, Joe Staley, and Marcus McNeil are arguably as good.

To expect a guy at 6'8" 340 to be able to handle speed rushers that didn't exist in the NFL 10 years ago easily is unrealistic. Not everyone is what Orlando Pace once was. McKinnie is a very good offensive tackle, one of the best in the NFL, not only a handful of Vikings fans believe this, he's frequently talked about with the top guys for a reason.

He's a hell of a lot better than a lot of guys on here give him credit for. Ignoring his 4 game suspension last season, he has yet to miss a start since signing in 2002. That's 115 straight games. He's played well for a huge majority of those 115, it's too bad most of us only notice the bad.
    He had one hell of a good season last year.I think his best ever. A little worse this year. He may be top 5. He's certainly top 8.
    I think people see great potential and have expectations beyond his performance.
    It just seems he could be top 2 or 3 with hard work and motivation.
    Some just want to crack on him for his off the field issues.

Like it or not, his off the field issues cause people to question his professionalism and dedication.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

His feet were really hurt this season.
    Dan Le Batard wrote:
    He looked down at his size 18s.

``When these hurt, I'm in trouble,' he said. ``And they hurt. I was fine for a few days, but just because of the Toradol. Then it wore off.'

Toradol?

``Anything that ails you, it takes the pain away,' he said. ``Some guys take a shot every week, shot in the butt, burns for 10 seconds. I usually don't do it because you have to sign a release for the side effects, but we were a game away from the Super Bowl.'
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1464778-p3.html

I think he works hard, if he was a lazy guy, something tells me he wouldn't play through injury.

If he were to drop weight I think he'd be better, he's going to be a massive guy no matter what. But remember, the team sets a weight for him, it's not necessarily his choice.

scycon is offline Waterboy

Mr Anderson wrote:
    I would like everyone ripping on McKinnie to name 5 left tackles in the NFL they'd rather have than him and why, off the top of their heads.
    Joe Thomas, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jeff Backus, Andrew Whitworth, Ryan Clady, Jason Peters.

Any 1st round LT rookie next year.

Seriously, he's very overrated and his work ethic and attitude isn't anything to be happy about having on the team. I'd trade him based on principle after this season especially when he still has trade value. There's a laundry list of tackles that performed better than him.
    None

scycon wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Joe Thomas, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jeff Backus, Andrew Whitworth, Ryan Clady, Jason Peters.

Seriously, he's very overrated and his work ethic and attitude isn't anything to be happy about having on the team. I'd trade him based on principle after this season especially when he still has trade value. There's a laundry list of tackles that performed better than him.
    Thank you. Someone provided a list.

What would you trade him for?

scycon wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

Thank you. Someone provided a list. I agree with Thomas and Peters. Clady and Long, they're not much more productive than McKinnie though, and don't face the same kind of pass rushers as McKinnie saw this season. Almost every week he played against a top pass rusher. Combine that with our pass/run predictability and you have a recipe for disaster with any OT.

Jeff Backus is not, didn't he just give up like 17 sacks a year or two ago? Whitworth is a good player as well, I don't know if he's better than McKinnie though.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

Mr Anderson wrote:
    scycon wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:

Thank you. Someone provided a list. I agree with Thomas and Peters. Clady and Long, they're not much more productive than McKinnie though, and don't face the same kind of pass rushers as McKinnie saw this season. Almost every week he played against a top pass rusher. Combine that with our pass/run predictability and you have a recipe for disaster with any OT.

Jeff Backus is not, didn't he just give up like 17 sacks a year or two ago? Whitworth is a good player as well, I don't know if he's better than McKinnie though.

"There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    I can't do that because I don't study LTs enough to know each and every one of them.

That said - I *have* watched McKinnie enough to know that he has always been susceptible to speed rushers. And that he has always stood around and done nothing once beaten.

=Z=
    You say that as if there is something he can do once being beat. The play's over if he gets beat, he's pass blocking. If his man beats him, the QB has to get rid of it, or gets sacked. Unless a back picks him up. It's not like he can get downfield to block on a pass.

To expect a guy at 6'8" 340 to be able to handle speed rushers that didn't exist in the NFL 10 years ago easily is unrealistic. Not everyone is what Orlando Pace once was. McKinnie is a very good offensive tackle, one of the best in the NFL, not only a handful of Vikings fans believe this, he's frequently talked about with the top guys for a reason.
    The problem is not once he is beat; the problem is that the defender keeps working, and McKinnie gives up on the play. McKinnie is good for five or six steps, and then he quits and looks around. He does this on pass plays, and he does this on run plays.

McKinnie has always played at higher playing weight than he should. The guy could barely get out of a three point stance as a rookie, and he is just not quick enough for speed rushers.

McKinnie is not a bad player, but he could have been great. He could have skipped out on the Pro Bowl many times had he shed some weight and had better footwork.

scycon wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Joe Thomas, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, [strike]Jeff Backus[/strike], Andrew Whitworth, Ryan Clady, Jason Peters.
    I'd take out Backus but add Roos from Tennesse, Joe Staley from San Fran, David Diel from the Giants, and Jordan Gross from Carolina.

McKinnie reminds me of Flozell Adams without a mean streak.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    scycon wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Joe Thomas, Jake Long, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, [strike]Jeff Backus[/strike], Andrew Whitworth, Ryan Clady, Jason Peters.
    I'd take out Backus but add Roos from Tennesse, Joe Staley from San Fran, David Diel from the Giants, and Jordan Gross from Carolina.

McKinnie reminds me of Flozell Adams without a mean streak.
    +1. Matt Light is another guy I'd consider over Big Mac. Marcus McNeil is also a very underrated LT. McKinnie has other priorities than football and I ain't talking about his family.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast