Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    tke0933 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Official Browns vs Vikings Postgame Thread

Without reading all the posts, I think the opening kick was foolish.
    Yes, we have a good defense, but give me a break.
    Favre showed he still needs time with the receivers to work on timing.
    How many times did we throw the ball downfield?
    2?
    Jackson/Rosenfelds could do that.
    Stretch the defense and AP can do more.
    Pass defense is still suspect, but a win is a win.

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

"tke0933" wrote:
    Without reading all the posts, I think the opening kick was foolish.
    Yes, we have a good defense, but give me a break.
    Favre showed he still needs time with the receivers to work on timing.
    How many times did we throw the ball downfield?
    2?
    Jackson/Rosenfelds could do that.
    Stretch the defense and AP can do more.
    Pass defense is still suspect, but a win is a win.
    questionable...

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Just a couple comments for Marrdro.....

1. Heath Farwell is a force
    2. Ryan Longwell kicked a couple in the endzone

That is all.

poisoning16 is offline Rookie

I got the game here...Vikes didn't look sharp in the first half, offense was stagnant. 2nd half though the talent from both clubs finally revealed itself. Clevleand is a god awful team and AP took over in the 2nd half and that was it

as far as Favre....didn't really do anything that I don't think the otehr QB's could have done. Didn't really see any throws downfield. 110 yards passing against a bad defense. Announcers, etc kept saying that with Peterson on the squad this is all they will ask of Favre, and I don't buy it. Why pay him 12 million if he's doing stuff that Jackson or Rosenfels could do? They brought him in to add another dimension to the offense, which was a better passing attack. He looked slow, as he couldn't avoid much of any rush. He didnt make any mistakes though

Vikes ST didn't realy do anything to ease concerns from what they did last year, allowing a punt return for a TD right off the bat to start the year

other than that, Vikes looked good. Did what they were supposed to, which was beat up a bad team. The D-line/LBers look good, can't really tell about the secondary since they weren't tested much considering how bad the Browns offense is. Peterson is just ridiculous and that 60 something yard TD run was unreal.

Brady Quinn looked downright awful. MAybe Derek Anderson is better than him

And3rs53 is offline Training Camp

Great game. When AP broke off his 60+, I sat back in shock and asked my friend if he had just broke 3 tackles punched someone in the face, and turned around and pushed him back down, then ran off for a td. Shows why he's the man.

I was also happy with Favre's attitde, as has been mentioned, him tackling Percy after his td and him celebrating AP's first TD demonstrates how much he's not this prima donna everyone wants him to be, he's a human being who fucking loves to play football.

Childress doing things people don't expect makes me a happy camper too, say what you will, but the less predictable (even if it's a 'stupid' onside kick) the better, let them make mistakes and give us the opportunity to capitalize because they weren't ready for something we brought to the table.

now I just have to decide if I am ordering a pH jersey or a Rice jersey for this year. The bar I go to I am one of 3-5 Vikes fans, and I hate putting on the AD when everyone is going to be wearing the same one.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"And3rs53" wrote:
    Great game. When AP broke off his 60+, I sat back in shock and asked my friend if he had just broke 3 tackles punched someone in the face, and turned around and pushed him back down, then ran off for a td. Shows why he's the man.

I was also happy with Favre's attitde, as has been mentioned, him tackling Percy after his td and him celebrating AP's first TD demonstrates how much he's not this prima donna everyone wants him to be, he's a human being who fucking loves to play football.

Childress doing things people don't expect makes me a happy camper too, say what you will, but the less predictable (even if it's a 'stupid' onside kick) the better, let them make mistakes and give us the opportunity to capitalize because they weren't ready for something we brought to the table.

now I just have to decide if I am ordering a pH jersey or a Rice jersey for this year. The bar I go to I am one of 3-5 Vikes fans, and I hate putting on the AD when everyone is going to be wearing the same one.
    Great freakin' post!!
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Saw the game here as well so here's
    my two pennyworth.

QB - Favre played well and what was needed. He wasn't wanted to be making throws all day but did what he had to. There were some passes where he and the receivers weren't in sync but given the reduced practice time together then was to be expected. TJ coming in for his series at the end showed why the front office looked to upgrade the position in the off season with first Sage and then BF

RB/WR/TE - AD showed why he's so highly rated and loved his last TD run when he threw the defender away before carrying on. Having a better passing game definitely opens him up even more.
    Rice had a couple of good moves and with more practice time with Favre has the potential to make big strides this year. Harvin looked good and brings a lot to the team, here's hoping he utilised to his best ability. Thought Shiancoe might have seen more passes but maybe thats credit to the passing game improving and being spread about a little more.

OL - looked shakey at times and left the feeling that this could be the biggest weakness on the team. Not sure if it was having Sully and Loadholt starting, suspect line calls, still getting to grips with the zone blocking scheme or early season nerves/rust. Whatever definitely needs addressing this week before it becomes the norm.

DL - Good series inside the 6 yd line which held the Browns to a FG so the run stuffing continues to be good. I didn't feel that we had been getting pressure on the QB though 5 sacks says otherwise. Allen was quieter than usual but he was going going against a good LT so no disgrace there.

LB - good to see EJ back on the field again strongly supported by Leber & Greenway

DBs - Winfield led by example again and shows why we needed to resign him in the offseason. Top player who is finally getting getting his deserved props.

STs - KO and punt returns well handled by Harvin & Reynaud and looking good. Punt coverage still looks shakey especially given that we were supposed to improved on this. Too many of yesterdays returns and it could be a long season.

Coaching - overall fair but room for improvement. We we lucky on the PI call when Edwards went out of bounds and didn't re-establish properly - sure the flag was thrown for the out of bounds rather than the re-establishment so we cut a break on calling that. Onside kick to start the game? please that was definitely stupid and lucky we held the Browns to a FG. Clock management/playcalling leading up to halftime wasn't brilliant either.
    However at least something was said at the half as the team in the second half was way different and more into the game.

So game MVPs
    Offense - AD for his performance with an honourable mention for BF for improving the QB play from what we have been used to.

Defence - EJ for his leading by example just edging out Winfield IMO

STs - Reynaud for his good punt returns - showing future promise.

Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"V" wrote:
    QB: Favre was solid but definitely still has a ways to go. Hopefully chemistry will only get better. That said, if he can consistently play like he did today, we'll win a lot of games. No turnovers, none even close. Great accuracy.

OL: Same old story. Great run blocking, but the blitz still gets to them. It seems that teams intend to blitz Favre nonstop. I see kinks but it's nothing I'm concerned about.
    Solid in that most of his passes were on target but that's where it ends. Lets be honest here, 110 yards passing isn't going to "win us a lot of games". The Browns ranked 28th in rushing defense last year & we are not going to have that luxury each in every week. We will need to rely more on the passing game from here on out (except the Lions) & we will need our passing game to be better. Passing game does not = QB only BTW, so don't look at this as a knock on Favre. We took what the defense gave us, which is what we are supposed to do & that was the run this week. Just saying that isn't going to be the case every week.

With that said, I see more than just kinks in our pass blocking line. It's been, IMO, our Achilles heel for quite sometime & I hope it improves as the season goes on. The receivers inability to get open quickly on a consistent basis only compounds that problem.

People here have claimed there is little wrong with our passing o-line & our passing woes were attributed to BJ & Gus being immobile & Jackson hanging on to the ball to long, but when it starts happening to Favre, who has a quick read & quick release, the excuses for our O-line are getting very thin.

They just gave up 4 sacks (Possibly 5. I believe one was negated via penalty) to a team that ranked 2nd to last in sacks last year. They only had 17 sacks total all last year & our line just gave them 25% of that in one game.

I'm glad for the win, but if that continues, it may be a long season ahead. We face much stronger defenses than the browns as the season continues & in order to continue to win, the line needs to protect the QB.

As a side note, I was happy to see Favre take the sacks, rather than aimlessly try & throw the ball up for grabs or trying to force the ball, although would have liked to see him simply throw the ball away to avoid the sack on 1 or 2 of those.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    QB: Favre was solid but definitely still has a ways to go. Hopefully chemistry will only get better. That said, if he can consistently play like he did today, we'll win a lot of games. No turnovers, none even close. Great accuracy.

OL: Same old story. Great run blocking, but the blitz still gets to them. It seems that teams intend to blitz Favre nonstop. I see kinks but it's nothing I'm concerned about.
    Solid in that most of his passes were on target but that's where it ends. Lets be honest here, 110 yards passing isn't going to "win us a lot of games". The Browns ranked 28th in rushing defense last year & we are not going to have that luxury each in every week. We will need to rely more on the passing game from here on out (except the Lions) & we will need our passing game to be better. Passing game does not = QB only BTW, so don't look at this as a knock on Favre. We took what the defense gave us, which is what we are supposed to do & that was the run this week. Just saying that isn't going to be the case every week.

With that said, I see more than just kinks in our pass blocking line. It's been, IMO, our Achilles heel for quite sometime & I hope it improves as the season goes on. The receivers inability to get open quickly on a consistent basis only compounds that problem.

People here have claimed there is little wrong with our passing o-line & our passing woes were attributed to BJ & Gus being immobile & Jackson hanging on to the ball to long, but when it starts happening to Favre, who has a quick read & quick release, the excuses for our O-line are getting very thin.

They just gave up 4 sacks (Possibly 5. I believe one was negated via penalty) to a team that ranked 2nd to last in sacks last year. They only had 17 sacks total all last year & our line just gave them 25% of that in one game.

I'm glad for the win, but if that continues, it may be a long season ahead. We face much stronger defenses than the browns as the season continues & in order to continue to win, the line needs to protect the QB.

As a side note, I was happy to see Favre take the sacks, rather than aimlessly try & throw the ball up for grabs or trying to force the ball, although would have liked to see him simply throw the ball away to avoid the sack on 1 or 2 of those.

We do not need a ton of passing yards to win.
    No mistakes and making key throws goes along way.

This is the NFL....not Madden.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:

We do not need a ton of passing yards to win.
    No mistakes and making key throws goes along way.

This is the NFL....not Madden.

Never said we did.

We took what the defense gave us, which is what we are supposed to do & that was the run this week. Just saying that isn't going to be the case every week.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast