Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

The Official Brett Favre Tribute Thread

Before I say anything, I'd just like to preface this thread by letting everyone know that this thread is absolutely NO PLACE for bashing Favre. I don't care if you love him or hate him, this isn't a thread for arguing about whether he should've come back, whether he ever should've came to the Vikings, or any of that . I just want a thread where we can acknowledge the career of one of the best and most fun to watch players in the history of the NFL and to thank him for his two years he spent as a Viking.

I'm only 19 years old, so I wasn't around for most of the Viking's history, but I have seen a few. My "glory days" of the Vikings growing up was the era of Culpepper and Moss, which was always a blast to watch. Everytime Daunte would roll out and bomb it, my whole family would be screaming knowing that Moss would come down with the TD. That was pure excitement. Then Culpepper busted his knee, and then we traded Moss and I was devastated.

After that we all suffered through the days of Brad Johnson, Gus Frerotte, and other rejects that didn't want to throw in the towel. The days of an average defense, average receivers, and below average QB play were extremely dull. It was a tough period in my Vikings history as it seemed we were just an 8-8 team every season.

Then two years ago (as of today at midnight) the talks of bringing Favre to Minnesota started resurfacing from the previous year. Everyone had an opinion on it, but know one seemed to think they knew what would happen. Would he be a game manager as many people suspected, would he revert to his old gunslinging days, or would he just be another broken down QB for a franchise that seemed to be making a habit of signing them. I think I speak for all of us when I say that he surprised everyone.

The year started out slow with the Browns and Lions games, then it took a serious turn for the better in the last 15 seconds of week 3. As soon as the Vikings won that game against the 49ers, Favre became a Viking. Unfortunately for me, I missed the entire game because I was doing community service for school, but I had been talking to my dad periodically for updates on the score and such. He told me we basically lost, and I was so depressed, just sitting in the van hating my life. Then I get a call from him 3 minutes later and I know it could have been for only one reason. Favre did it. Sure enough, I picked up the phone, he let me know of the good news, and I couldn't believe it. Brett Favre, the guy who broke our hearts so many times, put together a perfect final drive to win us a game. From then on, the year became was I'll remember as my most exciting year as a Viking fan ever.

After watching Favre put together the best statistical season of his entire career, I, along with the entire Vikings nation, was ready for our first Super Bowl. The playoffs came, and we steam rolled the cowboys in what is one of my favorite games of all time (I have the game on my computer and watch it periodically). Then we played the Saints. This was the worst game of my entire life. We all know what happened, thanks to a compilation of questionable refereeing, some seemingly dirty hits, some stupid errors by the Vikings and Childress, and some opportunistic defensive play by the Saints, our hopes were dashed and our hearts were broken.

The season was over, but it was still a great one looking back in retrospect. This season obviously hasn't panned out the way many of us hoped, but that's ok. I don't blame Favre personally for it, nor am I bitter at him for it. We did our best to bring him out, and he came back, gave it his all, and it just wasn't good enough. Can't fault a guy for trying.

All in all, Brett Favre is one of the best QBs of all time, a shoe in HOFer, one of the most enthusiastic players ever, and one of my favorite Vikings. Love him or hate him, you can't deny that he has provided the Vikings with some incredible QBing and some great memories.

If you have anything positive about Brett, please post it below. Thanks Brett, and good luck in the rest of our life!!!

SKOL VIKINGS
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Blog Entries

Re: The Official Brett Favre Tribute Thread

I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Everyone's favorite play of the year by our favorite annoucer, Paul Allen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxSzxIxPrY

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

I've been a Vikings fan all my life. I have always respected Favre's ability to win. I've always appreciated him, and never disliked him...no matter who he played for. He is one tough SOB.

He was one of the most exciting players to watch. He played this game like a kid. And I will always be grateful to him and the Vikings for the 2009 season, which was absolutely one of the most exciting seasons I have ever lived through.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I'm going to say this is the best post on PP.O ever.
    There is a whole lot of historical fact that is inaccurate or at least revisionist.
    But I'm not going to waste my time on correcting that.

Brett Favre got pounded in the NFC championship game last year, and came back to take an exceptional physical beating this year.

I'm sure someone remembers my posts saying that he would get busted up if he returned.
    Well, it happened.

He didn't need the money. So he has my respect and thanks.

He now becomes a Packer again, but I thank him for what he gave us, both last year and this year.

I hated Brett Favre as a Packer, but loved him as a Viking.

Thank you Brett Favre.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

First, thank you for posting this. What a great post. For those of you that know me they know I have never been embarrassed to say how much I admire Favre. Even as a Packer, his love and passion for the game of football was so fun to watch. As much as he beat the hell out of the Vikings for many years I still found my self rooting for him when he wasn't playing the Vikings. Of course I hate the Packers and never want them to do well but I always have my favorites. Favre was and still is one of them.

I thank Favre for the last two seasons. I hate to see him go out with probably his worst season as a pro but what I do like is the fact he had his best season as a pro with the Vikings. Unfortunately, it didn't get us a superbowl but he made the 2009 season one of the best seasons in Viking history. Farewell Brett. I hope you enjoyed playing for the Vikings as much as I enjoyed watching you. Although this year didn't turn out as we wanted I still thank you for giving it your all.

EJMAT-4-PURPLE

Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Thanks for making this thread, 12purplepride28!
    I don't think we have a Favre-appreciation thread and it was about time someone made one. I'm sick of all the negative comments on Brett Favre. On the forum, everyone talks about how Favre ruined the season and the media is all over the telephone picture scandal.

It's funny, but I think the most annoying thing this season has been listening to the game announcers talk about Favre's off-field issue. I don't think I've watched one single game since the allegations surfaced without them mentioning it. It's really not anyone's business. The announcers should ONLY talk about football and definitely not player's off-field stupid allegations which they haven't even been proclaimed guilty for.

That felt good to get off my chest.

I will always remember Brett Favre as the quarterback with the big arm who made the 2009 season one of the greatest seasons as a Vikings fan. And of course, the player who loved to play the game so much that he didn't stop until he became a grandpa. I think I've never seen anyone love the game of football as much as Favre.

I will miss you, Brett! I hope you'll have a great (and injury-free) life!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast