Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    Yeah, having 5 highly contributing rookie players and 3 starters in one draft is a totally no-brain draft...everybody does it every year.

Your hate is so thick it's palpable.
    How much input did Frasier have in the draft?

I hope that he contributed. I am just saying that there has been a lot of smack talk about Frasier and Speilman for where we were at last year and where we are this season. I am saying that the team has gotten better through the efforts of both Coach and Speilman.

The real decision is what is done about Ponder for next season. It isn't a problem, it is more of a decision to be made.
    I'm sure he had input on the draft, however Spielman for the first time isn't bound by who the coach wants.

They will both be back next year without a doubt. Musgrave might be a sacrificial Lamb, we'll just have to wait and see.

Ponder is a problem, but there's no real solution this year. We desperately need to get playmakers on the outside. Maybe have an open competition for QB.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Trying to help the OLmen keep off Ponder. Absolutely terrible how poor they are at pass blocking.

I sure would have liked to seen him have a clean pocket on that deep throw late in the second. Jarius was open behind the receivers.

Quick question for those that say he has a weak arm....He threw it with just his arm. Even though it was 3 or 4 yard short, you don't get it that deep with a weak arm.
    First off, all QB's throw passes with just their arm. I have yet to see one throw a deep pass using both arms or an arm-leg combo. Secondly, a weak arm doesn't mean you can't throw far, it means he can't throw far with velocity. His deep balls usually float. When they show one of Ponder's deep throws on reply in slo-motion, I have time to go take a piss, go to the fridge, get a drink & sit back down before the play is over.

By your own admission, he threw that pass 4 yards short. That's still unacceptable whether it's due to inaccuracy or a weak arm. Good way to get a ball picked off.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Lets not forget Spielman has had his hand in the draft since 2007. He had a decent draft this past year, but that is only part of the job. His FA signings for a good share have been horseshit. With one of our biggest needs being WR, Spielman was busy throwing 25 million at a bust TE, while the Bears GM was busy making a trade for one of the best WR's this season & the Buc's inked Vincent Jackson (the same day Carlson was signed). He then signs a WR who is suspended for the first part of the season, has a lot of trouble catching balls, but can do an impressive somersault.

Still in need of a WR after Harvin goes down, he signs a RB instead. While he should be busy trying to rework Harvin's contract & signing him long term, instead he's busy working on re-signing Loadholt, who is still drawing several false start penalties. despite 4 years experience.

What he does with Ponder, how he handles Harvin's contract, our WR needs & next years draft & FA remains to be seen. Let's also see how good he is at retaining the good players we have.

We need a GM who can do more than just have 1 good draft when he has the number 3 pick. There's more to the job than just the draft. I think some people lose sight of that.
    I agree

The team looks no difference than they did last year on offense, which is where we have the bulk of his first round talent. While some of the players are certainly great players as a unit the offense is stuck in the same place it was in 2005-2006 with a suspect Ol , a lack of viable wrs and if the defense doesn't score and put the ball right near the end zone we don't win the game.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Yup, we had the 3rd overall pick. And do you know what we did with that pick? We traded DOWN to acquire additional picks and STILL got the guy we wanted. Do you know who we got with the extra picks we got for that #3? Jarius Wright. And oh yeah, that extra 4th rounder also allowed us to trade back up into the first round to get Smith.

There was a LOT of strategy and moving going on in this draft, and overall it was very good - not just in round 1, but in the whole draft. Take a look at everything that happened in this draft. Give Spielman some credit here, he didn't just wait for players to fall into his lap like you are suggesting. He worked this draft and did a damn good job.

1. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Cleveland in exchange of draft picks.
    1. ..... (B) MATT KALIL (4), T, USC. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    1. ..... (C) HARRISON SMITH (29), S, Notre Dame. Choice from Baltimore for 2 and 4A.
    2. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Baltimore for 1C
    3. ..... JOSH ROBINSON (66), CB, Central Florida
    4. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Baltimore for 1C
    4. ..... (B) JARIUS WRIGHT (118), WR, Arkansas. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    4. ..... (C) RHETT ELLISON (128), TE, USC. Compensatory Selection.
    4. ..... (D) GREG CHILDS, (134), WR, Arkansas. Compensatory Selection.
    5. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Detroit for 7C and 4th in 13
    5...... (B) ROBERT BLANTON (139), DB, Notre Dame. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    6. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Washington for D. McNabb
    6. ..... (B) BLAIR WALSH (175), K, Georgia. Choice from Cleveland in the Jayme Mitchell trade.
    7. ..... (A) AUDIE COLE (210), LB, NC State
    7. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Tennessee for 6th in 13. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    7. ..... (C) TREVOR GUYTON (219), DL, California. Choice from Detroit for 5A.
    7. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Detroit for 5A and 4th in 13. Choice from New England in the Randy Moss trade.

BTW, only Guyton and Childs are not on the active roster right now. 5 of those drafted are starting right now. Recognize success and give some credit where credit is due.
    First of all, our team in such a terrible shape ( by the guru you praise for this draft) that we have players contibuting that should not be.

Kalil, you already know how I feel about the selection of the top OT in the country.
    Smith - Must admit he surprises me more and more. They have adjusted their scheme to keep him moving forward and he never has to turn and run. He got beat today when he had to turn and run on the TD. Don't get me wrong, he played lights out today and is an amazing rookie. I give spielmen credit for this.

Robinson - Plays well for a rookie. Playing above his draft level would start for a couple teams in the league.

Wright - Not going to be a star. Is getting "yards" because he is on the field and we have no one. He wouldn't start anywhere else and is here because we are inept at drafting offense.

This brings me to my point. Ricky boy has been at this for how long. Since he has been here, he has yet to find an average QB, A decent QB, a Stud QB. Since he has been here, he has drafted two NFL caliber WRs, one of which I believe was Childress want in Harvin but I will give him the credit. He simply cannot draft offense and our lack of a passing game is apparent. We blame OCs year after year but it looks like Bevell is balling out of control in Seattle!!!!!! The difference is, they found a QB and some WRs to fix their issue. Some of you are fine with "improvements" I dont see any improvements.

This wasn't a 3-13 team last season and they aren't one now. We are always a talented team defensively and at almost every position we have one of the best players in the league their( JA, KW, CG, AW). We have a historic running back. That alone should win us 5 games every season. However, if our FO could get it's head from out of its ass, we can fix the passing game and win some rings. Isn't it apparent that the 1 year we had an above average QB ( Favre benefited from Peterson dominance) we made it deep into the playoffs? All I ask for is the FO to do is to stop reaching for a guy they think can improve enough to play and start getting "a Guy". Since we drafted Ponder, He has been surpassed by almost every QB in the draft except guys like Mallet and Stanzi, who have yet to play. Ever fucking QB! Hell even the Jets backup came in and looked better. I'm sick of the celebrations for shit we should do. We should beat the bears at home, when they are playing with no Jennings, no 54 and a depleted line. Peterson should be able to run for 200 yards a game, he is that good. Instead he has to break 1 long run and grind out the rest against 9 and 10 in the fucking box because our QB is a fucking noodle armed, idiot.

3 good offensive players in over 7 years is laughable. Think about that for a second. We have had 3 good offensive players in 7 years of drafting and signing. Hitler video time.
    Last edited by kevoncox; 12-10-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I agree

The team looks no difference than they did last year on offense, which is where we have the bulk of his first round talent. While some of the players are certainly great players as a unit the offense is stuck in the same place it was in 2005-2006 with a suspect Ol , a lack of viable wrs and if the defense doesn't score and put the ball right near the end zone we don't win the game.
    Its been 7 years of horse shit and yet every year the natives come out to thank the conquistadors for the gift of herpes and small pox.

First off, all QB's throw passes with just their arm. I have yet to see one throw a deep pass using both arms or an arm-leg combo. Secondly, a weak arm doesn't mean you can't throw far, it means he can't throw far with velocity. His deep balls usually float. When they show one of Ponder's deep throws on reply in slo-motion, I have time to go take a piss, go to the fridge, get a drink & sit back down before the play is over.

By your own admission, he threw that pass 4 yards short. That's still unacceptable whether it's due to inaccuracy or a weak arm. Good way to get a ball picked off.
    Ignore Marr,
    I love the guy but when it comes to QBs, he is in bizarro world. He called Brett the Noodle but think this guys has a pretty good arm. He has thrown a pass 4 feet short in 2 consecutive games. sad part is... it wasn't that deep a pass. We have forgotten what good QB play is like. Looks at the lines that Cutler faced today and he was able to get his passes off on time and with velocity. or two ints was a WR slipping and a tipped pass I believe. Our QB situation is the top 3 worst in the league. I would say its the worst because... Arizona and the Jets don't have Peterson giving them one on one on the outside.

Without those 7 first downs through the air we don't win that game. Especially the ones that came late in the game when they were stopping AD.
    On those passing first downs that came late in the game, I'm pretty sure we punted.

In the 4th quarter, 2 of his 7 came in 1 drive that we ended up punting. Those were the only 2 he threw in the 4th quarter. That drive by the way, which started in the 3rd quarter, was at the beginning of the 4th. Our next possession in the 4th was 3 and out. The final was all knee.

His only other 1st down pass in the entire 2nd half was half way in the 3rd quarter. However, it was thrown on 1st down & was a dump pass to you guessed it.......AD. That lengthened the drive a whopping 34 seconds longer before we punted.

On those passing first downs that came late in the game, I'm pretty sure we punted.

In the 4th quarter, 2 of his 7 came in 1 drive that we ended up punting. Those were the only 2 he threw in the 4th quarter. That drive by the way, which started in the 3rd quarter, was at the beginning of the 4th. Our next possession in the 4th was 3 and out. The final was all knee.

His only other 1st down pass in the entire 2nd half was half way in the 3rd quarter. However, it was thrown on 1st down & was a dump pass to you guessed it.......AD. That lengthened the drive a whopping 34 seconds longer before we punted.
    There you go, using logic and facts again.
    I counted two, 1 the first past early in the game to Jenkins and the pass high and in accurate that Jenkins made a great catch on but Marr would sell it as on purpose.

I'm sure he made a pass here or there but.... that pass he made that sent the open TE out of bounds was the worst completion for any QB in years. It was so fucking bad, I thought he was playing in the snow!

LOL, so its all the QB's fault that he didn't put up 300 yards passing in a win. WOW.
    I don't think VikesfaninWis is expecting Ponder to throw 300+ yards every game. I do however think he expects Ponder to be throwing for more yards than he has been, completing more passes and actually scoring more on drives rather than us punting.

Anyone with a clue knows the Cardinals have the worst QB predicament in the league.

In the last 7 games, Ponder has thrown for 962 yards. That's the fewest in the league be far over that period of time.

The next fewest is by Tannehil who's thrown 1255 in his last 7 games & in the first of those 7 games he only played for a portion of the first quarter.

In those same 7 games the Cardinals have thrown for 1445.
    Last edited by singersp; 12-10-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Apparently FOX sports couldn't believe we won the game & had the Bears projected to win it.

Even though we won, they still aired this playoff picture after the game.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast