Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We had the 3rd overall pick. He should easily have hit on 2 picks. He drafted the best LT...billiant. He traded up to draft another 1st rounder....brilliant.... It's not hard to do with the 3rd pick in every round. Come on man. It's not like we were drafting 27ths and he walked away with studs. We drafted 3rd overall.
    Yup, we had the 3rd overall pick. And do you know what we did with that pick? We traded DOWN to acquire additional picks and STILL got the guy we wanted. Do you know who we got with the extra picks we got for that #3? Jarius Wright. And oh yeah, that extra 4th rounder also allowed us to trade back up into the first round to get Smith.

There was a LOT of strategy and moving going on in this draft, and overall it was very good - not just in round 1, but in the whole draft. Take a look at everything that happened in this draft. Give Spielman some credit here, he didn't just wait for players to fall into his lap like you are suggesting. He worked this draft and did a damn good job.

1. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Cleveland in exchange of draft picks.
    1. ..... (B) MATT KALIL (4), T, USC. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    1. ..... (C) HARRISON SMITH (29), S, Notre Dame. Choice from Baltimore for 2 and 4A.
    2. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Baltimore for 1C
    3. ..... JOSH ROBINSON (66), CB, Central Florida
    4. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Baltimore for 1C
    4. ..... (B) JARIUS WRIGHT (118), WR, Arkansas. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    4. ..... (C) RHETT ELLISON (128), TE, USC. Compensatory Selection.
    4. ..... (D) GREG CHILDS, (134), WR, Arkansas. Compensatory Selection.
    5. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Detroit for 7C and 4th in 13
    5...... (B) ROBERT BLANTON (139), DB, Notre Dame. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    6. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Washington for D. McNabb
    6. ..... (B) BLAIR WALSH (175), K, Georgia. Choice from Cleveland in the Jayme Mitchell trade.
    7. ..... (A) AUDIE COLE (210), LB, NC State
    7. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Tennessee for 6th in 13. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    7. ..... (C) TREVOR GUYTON (219), DL, California. Choice from Detroit for 5A.
    7. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Detroit for 5A and 4th in 13. Choice from New England in the Randy Moss trade.

BTW, only Guyton and Childs are not on the active roster right now. 5 of those drafted are starting right now. Recognize success and give some credit where credit is due.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We had the 3rd overall pick. He should easily have hit on 2 picks. He drafted the best LT...billiant. He traded up to draft another 1st rounder....brilliant.... It's not hard to do with the 3rd pick in every round. Come on man. It's not like we were drafting 27ths and he walked away with studs. We drafted 3rd overall.
    Yeah, having 5 highly contributing rookie players and 3 starters in one draft is a totally no-brain draft...everybody does it every year.

Your hate is so thick it's palpable.

Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Yup, we had the 3rd overall pick. And do you know what we did with that pick? We traded DOWN to acquire additional picks and STILL got the guy we wanted. Do you know who we got with the extra picks we got for that #3? Jarius Wright. And oh yeah, that extra 4th rounder also allowed us to trade back up into the first round to get Smith.

There was a LOT of strategy and moving going on in this draft, and overall it was very good - not just in round 1, but in the whole draft. Take a look at everything that happened in this draft. Give Spielman some credit here, he didn't just wait for players to fall into his lap like you are suggesting. He worked this draft and did a damn good job.

1. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Cleveland in exchange of draft picks.
    1. ..... (B) MATT KALIL (4), T, USC. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    1. ..... (C) HARRISON SMITH (29), S, Notre Dame. Choice from Baltimore for 2 and 4A.
    2. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Baltimore for 1C
    3. ..... JOSH ROBINSON (66), CB, Central Florida
    4. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Baltimore for 1C
    4. ..... (B) JARIUS WRIGHT (118), WR, Arkansas. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    4. ..... (C) RHETT ELLISON (128), TE, USC. Compensatory Selection.
    4. ..... (D) GREG CHILDS, (134), WR, Arkansas. Compensatory Selection.
    5. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Detroit for 7C and 4th in 13
    5...... (B) ROBERT BLANTON (139), DB, Notre Dame. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    6. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Washington for D. McNabb
    6. ..... (B) BLAIR WALSH (175), K, Georgia. Choice from Cleveland in the Jayme Mitchell trade.
    7. ..... (A) AUDIE COLE (210), LB, NC State
    7. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Tennessee for 6th in 13. Choice from Cleveland for 1A.
    7. ..... (C) TREVOR GUYTON (219), DL, California. Choice from Detroit for 5A.
    7. ..... NO CHOICE. Traded to Detroit for 5A and 4th in 13. Choice from New England in the Randy Moss trade.

BTW, only Guyton and Childs are not on the active roster right now. 5 of those drafted are starting right now. Recognize success and give some credit where credit is due.

I am still amazed at that. Its unheard of to have that kind of success in a draft. In his first year in charge Spielman has more than earned his keep.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Add Content
    Last edited by MaxVike; 12-09-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    I didn't bother reading all the posts on this thread, but I am sure the following has been said multiple times. AD is a f'n beast, and Ponder is a f'n joke. The past 7 games, AD has rushed for more yards that Ponder has passed for. Not only all together, but in each game he has rushed for more yards than Ponder has passed for.

Seriously, Ponder can't get more than 100 yards when AD runs like this? What good is this piece of shit sorry ass excuse of a QB? Any other QB would be passing for big numbers when a defense is all in in trying to stop the run. I seriously don't know what blows my mind more, the fact that AD does what he does knowing damn well that every defense we face is dead set on doing one thing, stopping him, or the fact that Ponder, and this stupid ass OC we have can't get Ponder over 100 yards with 1 on 1 coverage all the time.

Seriously, why do the Vikings always screw up when picking a QB? While GB had Favre in his prime, and a very good Aaron Rodgers from that point on, and the Lions have Stafford, and the Bears have Cutler, the Vikings reach on a lousy nobody of a QB named T-Joke and if they didn't learn their lesson, they reach yet again on Ponder and look how that is turning out?

This team just doesn't get it. So Wilf hires Childress because he was the OC on a team that happened to put up a lot of yards and points, but obviously they didn't do their homework. Childress never called plays in Philly, he was a nobody before the Vikings hired him, and he is a nobody now. Then to top it off, they let Tomlin go, and he wins a SB almost instantly, while the Vikings struggled. Then they hire Frazier when they could have went after so many different
    coaches that would have been much better options. Plain and simple, the Wilf's know nothing about football, and it clearly shows by blowing money on useless coaches and players.

Yes the Vikings won, but all they did was screw themselves out of a better draft pick. We all know this team is not making the playoffs, they are simply not good enough to get there. Had it not been for AD, and 2 rookies, the Bears win this game with no problems. A NFL team can not win games consistently when their starting QB through 13 games has under 2100 yards on the season despite defenses loading up the box to stop the best RB in this league.

Ponder is a f'n joke, Frazier is a f'n joke, Musgrave is a f'n joke, and most of the players on this team are a f'n joke. We fans have to put up with this shit every year? It's getting rather old for me. Again, their win today only screwed them out of a better draft pick. They will not beat the Texans, and they won't beat the Packers, and at this point, its a tossup if they will beat the Rams. At the end of the day, this "win" may very well cost them a few spots in the upcoming draft, and unless they plan on getting rid of these lousy ass excuses for coaches and a QB, the draft won't matter one damn bit.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Extremely fortunate to win today. The Bears outgained us almost 2 to 1 and if not for a dropped TD by Hester and the pics, we probably lose. Peterson was the key to winning, again. The defense was decent- holding the Bears to 14. Marshall ate us alive with 10 for 160. And we come to Ponder. I lose more faith every Sunday. The pic was an abomination. Aroomieshoes should have caught the TD but even it was underthrown. I'm happy we won but it was by no means a dominating performance- except by Peterson and the OL who blocked great for him. We could eke in, but GB, Washington, Seattle, and Dallas winning hurt.
    Last edited by purplehelmut; 12-10-2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: TB lost

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Troy Williamson and Erasmus James.....2 first round picks, you could even roll in Marcus johnson, 3 players drafted in the first 50 players in the 05 draft and none had a meaningful career as a starter, I wouldn't say the draft is full of no brainers but there are drafts that look like they were drafted by the brainless
    In this day and age, scouting has gotten so much better. I think the push to broadband and availability of HD film for review... I think scouts are getting it right. However, James wasn't a bad player, just couldn't stay healthy and he flashed potential. We were the only team looking to draft Troy in the top 10. A
    A top 7 pick is good...but a top 3 pick should be priceless and a cake walk.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    If I could have a shock collar on Ponder when he gets ready to throw off of his back foot I would have him whipped into playoff shape allready, lol.
    The Bears have a top 10 pass defense. Ponder made bonehead plays, and the OLine didnt give him help much of the time. If Musgrave would have given AP the touches in the first Bears game, things could have been different. maybe. The Vikes were in it until Musgrave tried throwing all over the place and forgot his #1 weapon. Anyways, the point Im trying to make here is I am not sure if Musgrave knows how to use his players to make them succeed. Is there max protect sometimes/most of the time on passing downs against stout pass rushes? And did MG look at tape of Simpson in Cincy and find the plays that worked for him? Because I saw alot of bengals games and he made alot of nice catches and yes, did drop a few. But who doesnt/didnt except for CC. lol (true statement)
    Now, back to Ponder. Quit bitching. look at a few other teams, their records. Take KC. Cassel benched. Quinn, smh. they have Charles and he is good, and accounts for alot of their offense. Okay, then there is AZ. They got their asses handed to them today. I picked up Seattle Defense this week and played them. I was looking at their line and they had 4 picks, 4 fumble recoveries, and 2 TD's. not sure exactly how they scored those defensive td's. But we are definitely better off than that. So, I am just thankful that Ponder didnt screw it up today and we won. I am thankful that the Vikings are relevant this late in the season even though the outlook is not that great with Seattle and Washington winning today as well. But still, a better outlook than before the season started. Sometimes you just have to be thankful for what you have, not what you could have. You never know, the kid and the offense could get hot at the right time. Peterson is blazing hot! Be nice to see the others on offense try to follow his example.

Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    I didn't bother reading all the posts on this thread, but I am sure the following has been said multiple times. AD is a f'n beast, and Ponder is a f'n joke. The past 7 games, AD has rushed for more yards that Ponder has passed for. Not only all together, but in each game he has rushed for more yards than Ponder has passed for.

Seriously, Ponder can't get more than 100 yards when AD runs like this? What good is this piece of shit sorry ass excuse of a QB? Any other QB would be passing for big numbers when a defense is all in in trying to stop the run. I seriously don't know what blows my mind more, the fact that AD does what he does knowing damn well that every defense we face is dead set on doing one thing, stopping him, or the fact that Ponder, and this stupid ass OC we have can't get Ponder over 100 yards with 1 on 1 coverage all the time.

Seriously, why do the Vikings always screw up when picking a QB? While GB had Favre in his prime, and a very good Aaron Rodgers from that point on, and the Lions have Stafford, and the Bears have Cutler, the Vikings reach on a lousy nobody of a QB named T-Joke and if they didn't learn their lesson, they reach yet again on Ponder and look how that is turning out?

This team just doesn't get it. So Wilf hires Childress because he was the OC on a team that happened to put up a lot of yards and points, but obviously they didn't do their homework. Childress never called plays in Philly, he was a nobody before the Vikings hired him, and he is a nobody now. Then to top it off, they let Tomlin go, and he wins a SB almost instantly, while the Vikings struggled. Then they hire Frazier when they could have went after so many different
    coaches that would have been much better options. Plain and simple, the Wilf's know nothing about football, and it clearly shows by blowing money on useless coaches and players.

Yes the Vikings won, but all they did was screw themselves out of a better draft pick. We all know this team is not making the playoffs, they are simply not good enough to get there. Had it not been for AD, and 2 rookies, the Bears win this game with no problems. A NFL team can not win games consistently when their starting QB through 13 games has under 2100 yards on the season despite defenses loading up the box to stop the best RB in this league.

Ponder is a f'n joke, Frazier is a f'n joke, Musgrave is a f'n joke, and most of the players on this team are a f'n joke. We fans have to put up with this shit every year? It's getting rather old for me. Again, their win today only screwed them out of a better draft pick. They will not beat the Texans, and they won't beat the Packers, and at this point, its a tossup if they will beat the Rams. At the end of the day, this "win" may very well cost them a few spots in the upcoming draft, and unless they plan on getting rid of these lousy ass excuses for coaches and a QB, the draft won't matter one damn bit.
    I would say Ponder is a joke. But it hink Fraiser has doen a good job. He hired two pretty good OCs... I mean think about it. Before Mustgrave, Peterson was startign to average about 80 yards a game. I know he came back strong but some of the blocking we are seeing is pretty good and the play design is excellent. I think Mustgrave is bootstrapped to Ponder. We have WRs running free.. that he can't hit. Wright was open as shit.... Ponder throws a pick because his arm sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    If I could have a shock collar on Ponder when he gets ready to throw off of his back foot I would have him whipped into playoff shape allready, lol.
    The Bears have a top 10 pass defense. Ponder made bonehead plays, and the OLine didnt give him help much of the time. If Musgrave would have given AP the touches in the first Bears game, things could have been different. maybe. The Vikes were in it until Musgrave tried throwing all over the place and forgot his #1 weapon. Anyways, the point Im trying to make here is I am not sure if Musgrave knows how to use his players to make them succeed. Is there max protect sometimes/most of the time on passing downs against stout pass rushes? And did MG look at tape of Simpson in Cincy and find the plays that worked for him? Because I saw alot of bengals games and he made alot of nice catches and yes, did drop a few. But who doesnt/didnt except for CC. lol (true statement)
    Now, back to Ponder. Quit bitching. look at a few other teams, their records. Take KC. Cassel benched. Quinn, smh. they have Charles and he is good, and accounts for alot of their offense. Okay, then there is AZ. They got their asses handed to them today. I picked up Seattle Defense this week and played them. I was looking at their line and they had 4 picks, 4 fumble recoveries, and 2 TD's. not sure exactly how they scored those defensive td's. But we are definitely better off than that. So, I am just thankful that Ponder didnt screw it up today and we won. I am thankful that the Vikings are relevant this late in the season even though the outlook is not that great with Seattle and Washington winning today as well. But still, a better outlook than before the season started. Sometimes you just have to be thankful for what you have, not what you could have. You never know, the kid and the offense could get hot at the right time. Peterson is blazing hot! Be nice to see the others on offense try to follow his example.
    Those teams dont have Peterson. Doesn't make their Qbs worst than ours. Take any of those guys and give them Peterson, they pass for more than 100 yards a game. Did he Break 100 or was he stuck on 91?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast