Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    VikeCane305 is offline Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by nodakpaul View Post
    ap is a beast. the defense came to play. Ponder was underwhelming.

Discuss.
    all day for mvp!!!
    "AKA" PURPLEPOWERPUNCH

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I don't expect perfection. I expect common sense. You and others can sit an pretend you don't see the sub 100 yard games, the lack of accuracy, the ill advised INTs, the poor decision making, and keep cheering. Fact is we are sub par at the most important position in football. This isnt a bad kicker, its a bad QB and its been bad for years. So excuse me for being sick of not having a QB that can throw for 200 yards. Last game, they hid Ponder the best they could and gave Peterson 30+ carries. Even that wasn't enough as the jackass still threw a pick and still got booed!!!! They tried to hide him. Is that what he have become? Is that exceptable? When did that become ok? No one was taking Ponder where he went. No one, that's apparent to me. Good College QB... Terrible Pro

1. We drafted a TE with the our 2nd pick last season. Why would you sign another TE to a 5 year 25 million dollar deal. Do you realize thats a little off from Davis, and the guy from New England money?
    2. We go bargain basement with WRs selection again. 5th round or lower = check. Known for drops and disappearing at times = check.

3. Common sense would say... if you have an elite QB you can dumbster dive for WRs... but if you have a bad QB. Which Ponder is, you have to supply him with elite talent.
    Does that mean you longer cheer for this team?

In case it's getting lost in the mud being thrown around, I'm not excusing Ponder's poor play nor do I believe he's going to take us to the promised land. I'm just not going to commit harry carry over it and go all bat crazy. He's simply not working out, but I can't pretend the answer to the problem is staring me in the face and that the fix is obvious. I'm also not going to devote a lot of effort in bashing a team that beats a divisional rival, no matter how it's accomplished.

I was in favor of pulling Ponder in Green Bay and also at Chicago a few weeks back when we were behind and he was stinking up the joint. If Ponder comes out in St. Louis and is making the same mistakes, I think they should put him on the bench and put in Webb. It wasn't necessary against Chicago on Sunday.

But panicking over the situation and running out to get a mediocre stop gap veteran is a formula that has failed for us many times and I'm not on that bandwagon to go and fix the situation. This year's draft is a real possibility, but most likely if we are able to get someone we want that he won't come out and light the league on fire right out of the gates, leaving the masses just as disgruntled as they are today. Then there is the matter of whether or not this staff can develop a QB that isn't a locked in stud like Andrew Luck.

For those that believe that the problem won't be fixed until the FO and coaching staff are reworked, all this discussion is pointless. Yet we discuss it anyway with the preconceived idea that failure is imminent regardless.

It's apparent that the biggest issue with this team is it's passing game. Other than Favre's first year, it has been bad for a very long time. Fans are fed up with it, I'm fed up with it, but I also understand that fixing it without digressing in other areas of the team is not exactly a simple solution. I doubt anyone in the FO is happy with our current passing game, regardless of the statements being made. Ponder and Musgrave I would guess are both on a short list of people that need to step up or step out.

Common sense is in the eye of the beholder.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    My thoughts on this game:

1. The most important thing is that WE WON THE GAME, and WE BEAT A DIVISIONAL OPPONENT. We're currently 7-6 (3 games better than where I thought we would be at this time) , and still have a shot at the playoffs.

2. Nice to see Harrison Smith get an interception return for a TD. Also nice to see Josh Robinson get an interception and return it almost all the way for a TD. Without those plays, we lose this game.

3. GREAT first quarter by AD, who in my opinion should be NFL MVP. I hope he gets 2,000+ yards, even though that may be tough to do.

4. Efficient (11/17) but underwhelming (91 yds, 1 INT) performance by Ponder. Can he play better going forward? I hope so, but I'm not sure.

5. Physical game by the defense. Cutler took a beating, partially due to the Bears' struggles at OL. Cutler didn't look too good on the sidelines late in the game! I loved the physicality of the defense!

6. I would give the Vikings an overall letter grade of B for this game. Lots of physicality, great production from AD, and Ponder didn't screw things up too badly. A few too many penalties for my taste, but that's the result of physical play!

7. I think the next game at St. Louis will be tough, but I think the Vikings can win it. It will be a physical matchup as well. 8-6 awaits! SKOL VIKINGS!

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    This after Marshall had pushed off for a interference called against Minnesota (crazy call) in Chicago just two weeks ago - which the Vikings sent to the league office with a note I am sure.

It is illegal play. Defenders have position, and Marshall just pushes the defenders out of the way. It is a lot like the league allowed with Michael Irvin in Dallas years ago.
    Or Randy Moss
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Watching Brady slice up Texans, if only......................
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

21-0

Ponder = paramecium

Brady = God

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Anyone reading what the coach is spreading....

"We won the way we're designed to win," coach Leslie Frazier said. "We talk all the time to our team about what Viking ball is, and today was a perfect example of it.

"Run the football effectively, play great defense against the run, come up with turnovers and play outstanding special teams."
    "We're probably not going to win a lot of games when we throw the football 40 times," Frazier said. "That's not who we are. That's not the way we're built right now."

Game plan's success renders Ponder moot | StarTribune.com
    Well, I agree with the whole this is not how we are built quote. We are built to make short passes. We need to add some WRs that can separate or more importantly adjust to the ball and jump up for it. Aromashadu fell down instead of adjusting to the ball, if he would have stopped and jumped up to meet the ball, that would have been pass interference, ball at the one yard line and another TD for Peterson. Yes, Ponder could have thrown the ball to him in stride but just saying that Marshall, Megatron, A Johnson, Britt, Bryant, Green, Floyd, and a few others would have adjusted to that ball and made Ponder look good. We are not built for the deep inaccurate pass yet.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Minnesota Vikings at 0:48 CHI MIN
    3rd and 7 at MIN 4 (Shotgun) C.Ponder pass short middle to M.Jenkins to MIN 12 for 8 yards (C.Tillman).
    1st and 10 at MIN 12 T.Gerhart right guard to MIN 17 for 5 yards (H.Melton). PENALTY on CHI-C.Tillman, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced at MIN 17.
    1st and 10 at MIN 32 C.Ponder pass incomplete short middle to K.Rudolph.
    2nd and 10 at MIN 32 A.Peterson left end pushed ob at MIN 42 for 10 yards (J.Peppers).
    1st and 10 at MIN 42 A.Peterson left guard to MIN 48 for 6 yards (N.Roach; L.Briggs).
    2nd and 4 at MIN 48 C.Ponder pass short right to R.Ellison to MIN 46 for -2 yards (G.Hayes).
    Timeout #1 by MIN at 11:35.
    3rd and 6 at MIN 46 (Shotgun) C.Ponder pass short right to M.Jenkins to CHI 44 for 10 yards (N.Roach; K.Hayden).
    And your point is? Did you even read what I said?

You only provided the plays that further substantiates exactly what I said. Those two first downs came in one drive of the entire 2nd half & we ended up punting.

Hardly evidence that in that one drive that started at the end of the 3rd quarter, Ponder late in the game heroics, saved the game.

Here, I'll refresh your memory...

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    On those passing first downs that came late in the game, I'm pretty sure we punted.

In the 4th quarter, 2 of his 7 came in 1 drive that we ended up punting. Those were the only 2 he threw in the 4th quarter.
    That drive by the way, which started in the 3rd quarter, was at the beginning of the 4th.
    Last edited by singersp; 12-11-2012 at 05:48 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    He used nothing but his own flawed opinion of what happened.
    Nope I used fact & you substantiated that fact by providing the play by play of the exact drive where those 2 first downs occurred that I was talking about, only you purposely forgot to include the rest of the plays in that drive where we punted & gave the ball back without scoring.

Here, I'll refresh your memory...

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    On those passing first downs that came late in the game, I'm pretty sure we punted.

In the 4th quarter, 2 of his 7 came in 1 drive that we ended up punting. Those were the only 2 he threw in the 4th quarter.
    That drive by the way, which started in the 3rd quarter, was at the beginning of the 4th.
    Last edited by singersp; 12-11-2012 at 05:49 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    2010 Seattle Seahawks 15 31 318 1
    2009 Seattle Seahawks 16 51 574 7
    2008 Seattle Seahawks 16 55 627 5

had a decent Rookie season as the only target on a bad seahawks team. Had an ok 2nd season. Lost his starting job the following season and we decide to pay him like a 1000 yard a season TE. Fucking stupid.
    I actually think those numbers were better than the numbers Shankhoe had before we signed him to his big for the time contract to be honest. Not that I support the Carlson move in any way,shape or form but a move like that is not without precedent for this ownership group. Add Berrian and some of the early WR's we overpaid to underperform and I am left with the feeling that someone needs to hire a talent scout that specializes in WR talent because we don't have one of them yet.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast