Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Official 2010-11 Roster Analysis Thread

The one thing that helps me take my mind off not winning the Super Bowl every year is looking for hope in the following season. Due to Sunday's devastating loss, I am going to get started a little earlier than normal.

This thread is for people to sound off about the Viking's roster, so without further ado, here is my view on the offense for next season:

QB

We are in store for another interesting offseason at the most important position in the game. Hard to say what will happen with Favre this early in the offseason. My gut feeling before the Saints game was that Favre would be back if the Vikings lost that game, and would retire if they made it to the Super Bowl. After seeing the weariness and dejection in his face, I'm not so sure about that theory. Regardless of Favre's status, the Vikings need a plan for the future.

My take: With a week FA class, the Vikings need to resign TJack and allow he and Rosenfels to battle it out in camp and spend a draft pick on a QB with some upside. The draft is tough to call this early in the game, but some mocks have Colt McCoy dropping to the Vikes. Not in love with that pick since I don't like the "first round" QBs in the year's draft. With Sage or TJ poised to start for this experienced team, we could get a player like Jevan Snead, Dan Lefevour, or Sean Canfield in the 3rd or 4th round.

Another interesting take is coming on a possible QB solution.

RB

I love our one-two punch with Adrian and Chester, but three fumbles in the biggest game of his career left a sour taste in my mouth and is making me wonder if AD is kind of a head case. AD is an elite RB, but if he cannot stop fumbling, he is going to turn into a punchline really quick. Chester may be leaving next year and that leaves us with Albert Young and Ian Johnson to back up AD.

My take: Resign Chester for three years and trade Peterson for Donovan McNabb. Before you tear into me, hear me out. Even if Favre decides to come back, I don't think he will hold up for another year. He proved again that he is a warrior, but his play suffered from all the wear and tear on that 40 year old body. It is a fact that elite QBs are harder to come by than elite RBs and a RB's career is going to be several years shorter. Chester is capable of carrying the load, as evidenced by the season he had here before AD. If the coaches aren't comfortable with the depth behind CT, there are some decent options in the draft to spell CT every once in a while.
    Ryan Matthews could be around in the end of the second.

FB

Tahi sucks 60% of the time. He and the TEs were a big reason AD struggled at the end of the year. We need an upgrade badly whether that is through the draft or FA. Leonard Weaver from the Eagles only signed for one year there, but he's more of a running/receiving threat. Don't know much about rookie FBs, so I'm not sure who the Vikes could target in the draft.

TE

Shianco is a great pass-catching TE, but his blocking is little more than serviceable. Sadly I think #40 is not playing up to his standards and we need to find a replacement very soon. Dugan is meh.

My take: We need another great blocking TE that Kleinny can pass the torch to after next season. Seek help in later rounds of the draft.

OL

Not too concerned about the line. Overall I thought they played well for having two new young starters. Sully held his own against stud players all year. Ratliff was nearly invisible in the Dallas game. I believe he had maybe one or two big plays. I think our FB and TEs are the bigger reason for our rushing struggles late in the season. We gave up a few too many sacks this year, but that should be expected with the new players. I do think we need some depth/developmental players. Ryan Cook is FA.

My take: Draft a lineman or two so we have some better depth.

*I'm going to stop at the offense for now. Defense is coming.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Re:Official 2010-11 Roster Analysis Thread

trade Peterson for Donovan McNabb
    W.T.F

Trade a young top 10 NFL player for another old rent-a-QB? No thanks.

He has a fumbling problem and is overrated but lets not think of giving him away quite yet.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

happy camper wrote:
    trade Peterson for Donovan McNabb
    W.T.F

Trade a young top 10 NFL player for another old rent-a-QB? No thanks.

He has a fumbling problem and is overrated but lets not think of giving him away quite yet.
    If it means a better chance at a Super Bowl, absolutely. Who else is out there that we could trade for and what would they want?

At the rate Adrian is going, I would be surprised if he could be an impact player for five more years. McNabb should be able to last about that long.

McNabb is familiar with this offense and has all the intangibles and experience to get the Vikings to the Super Bowl. If the Eagles would take our first round pick for McNabb, I'm all for it. However, franchise QBs aren't easily pried away from their teams.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

You don't trade Peterson for McNabb because you could probably trade a second round pick. Peterson for McNabb would be insanely lopsided in favor of the Eagles. If your intention is to trade Peterson, you could get a lot more than McNabb.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

jkjuggalo wrote:
    Resign Chester for three years and trade Peterson for Donovan McNabb. Before you tear into me, hear me out. Even if Favre decides to come back, I don't think he will hold up for another year. He proved again that he is a warrior, but his play suffered from all the wear and tear on that 40 year old body. It is a fact that elite QBs are harder to come by than elite RBs and a RB's career is going to be several years shorter.
    First of all, YES we do need to resign Chester Taylor. He's arguably the best 3rd down back in the league (led runningbacks in 3rd down receptions this season) and can also carry the load if Adrian Peterson should go down. Chester Taylor is the best backup HB in the NFL, and Chester always seems to perform well when Adrian can't get it done.

Second, NO we should never even think about trading Adrian for McNabb... EVER! Adrian is the player that lifted this team from being one of the bottom 10 worst teams in the NFL, to being one of the best. We would not have made it this far without Adrian, and we would not have won the division tittle last season without Adrian. Together with Chris Johnson, Adrian is the best runningbach in the league.

Adrian is also the biggest reason to why Brett Favre wanted to play for the Vikings, Favre even said it himself. And let's face it, Favre would not have had his career best season without Adrian.

What is McNabb? He's a 33 year old quarterback who's been in the league for 12 season, but still gets benched every season. He's injury prone, inconsistent, not to mention that he definitely would not like to serve as a backup for any team.

The only reason we should even consider trading AD for McNabb is if the Eagles include a 1st round pick, and Asante Samuel. That's how much I would hate to lose Adrian.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

U fuckin serious? AD for McNabb?
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't do Peterson for McNabb but I would definitely see what offers I could get for him. If you could land a top 5 pick and a player that fills a need I would pull the trigger.

As talented as he is physically I'm beginning to question whats going on in that head of his.

oaklandzoo24 wrote:
    U fuckin serious? AD for McNabb?
    Ha ha...yeah.

I was still in a blind fit of rage about Peterson giving the game away and panicking about our QB situation. It would not be a fair trade. If they threw in a first round pick I would be down for it.

AD is definitely on the naughty list right now. He better learn how to hold onto the football and lead us to a SB next year.

Freakout wrote:
    I wouldn't do Peterson for McNabb but I would definitely see what offers I could get for him. If you could land a top 5 pick and a player that fills a need I would pull the trigger.

As talented as he is physically I'm beginning to question whats going on in that head of his.
    That's what I was saying too. There is a reason that he was not gaining chunks of yards at the end of the season too, and I think it has more to do with him than it does to do with the defenses they were facing.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

jkjuggalo I was positive it was just a lapse in your judgement. Rage with AD got the best of alot of us on Sunday. While I don't feel we should be shopping him around just yet, I do feel that he is overrated at this point and I would not be fully against trading him if the right offer came about.

The problem here is AD is still a "factor back". He is a game breaker where any handoff he gets has the potential to go for a TD. Backs like that are hard to find. I think he would still be dominant if our O-Line would give him some holes, there just weren't as many this year.

That being said, RB is a youthful position. If he continues to fumble, we can not afford to trust him either. So if we were offered a great player along with a high pick, I think we would have to seriously consider entertaining the offer. IDK how much of an affect his presence has on the locker room though. He seems like a very likeable guy who could tear down morale.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast