Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    I don't think Manziel is going to be there @ 8..I hear the Browns have some "major wood" for him.
    I really think with the defensive players available in free agency (Bengals players specifically) that the Vikes can afford to trade up for Manziel. They are making a statement thus far, and getting a very exciting and impact QB like Manziel will get fans excited again. Time to make a statement.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    I don't think Manziel is going to be there @ 8..I hear the Browns have some "major wood" for him.
    Hope so. If we want to move forward, we need a passer. A guy like McCarron would be great. If we want to be in NFL Purgatory again, neither improving, nor declining, Manziel is the way to go. Manziel at best is a 3 year project. His playing style needs a complete overhaul, similar to Tebow. Get over the hype and realize that while he was a great College QB, his playing style will struggle mightily vs NFL talent.

Keep in mind, the very best DBs he played against are some of the worst in the NFL. He won't get away with alot of the things he did in College.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Hope so. If we want to move forward, we need a passer. A guy like McCarron would be great. If we want to be in NFL Purgatory again, neither improving, nor declining, Manziel is the way to go. Manziel at best is a 3 year project. His playing style needs a complete overhaul, similar to Tebow. Get over the hype and realize that while he was a great College QB, his playing style will struggle mightily vs NFL talent.

Keep in mind, the very best DBs he played against are some of the worst in the NFL. He won't get away with alot of the things he did in College.
    I agree, JF wont be able to get away with a lot of stuff in the pros like he did college..he is gonna be BOOM or BUST. I am not sold on McCarron either...but I will support whoever we get..until Ive had enough haha.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator
    Good Lawd I'm excited for next year!

drakkar is offline Rookie
    just hope they don't panic if all the QBs start flying off the board and pull another Ponder.. Mettenberger, Murray, Guyton or Fales will be around in the later rounds.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    It is too bad Jameis Winston cannot declare for the draft and Bryce Petty did not declare.

First and second round ... Best Player Available. Get value, or move on the board.

Ted Dibiase is offline Rookie
    If Barr from UCLA is there I would be psyched.

iowa is offline Rookie
    we need a qb, everything else is secondary. i'd be fine with any of the top 4 prospects. there's no sure thing with these guys, it's a crap shoot, but you have to do it. i get so tired of the term "reach" they're all "reaches" when they don't pan out, they're "gems" when they do.
    None

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    This is how I feel today... Will probably be totally different tomorrow.

#1. Understand we'll be making the switch to the 3-4.
    #2. Understand we will be needing a QB... To develop for at least a year. Maybe he challenges Cassel, but let it be a true competition between those two guys and may the best man take it. I am comfortable entering the season with Cassel.

Draft-
    Trade back. Yes I'm serious. Get back to somewhere around 13-17. Grab either: Louis Nix III to play NT in the 3-4, CJ Mosley at ILB, or Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to pair with Harrison Smith. With the trade, we hopefully can pick up another 2nd.

Now our D looks something like

DE Shariff Floyd. NT Louis Nix III. DE Brian Robison (yes I think he can handle this.... Better than moving him to olb.

OLB Everson Griffin. ILB Audie Cole. ILB Free agent/ 2nd Rd pick/Erin Henderson? OLB chad Greenway

Cb Xavier Rhodes. FS Harrison Smith. SS lots of nice FA here or 2nd Rd pick CB #1 FA target. Vontae Davis

One of the two seconds we would now have has to be QB though.

Now use our two seconds and later picks to build... We do need to bolster the OL, but here are some guys I would like to see us go after...
    Tajh Boyd QB (2nd)
    Kyle Van Noy OLB (2nd)
    Calvin Pryor S (2nd)
    Lamarcus Joyner S (2nd)
    Paul Richardson WR (2nd)
    Zach Mettenberger QB (3rd)
    Bradley Roby CB (3rd)
    AJ McCarron QB (3rd)

With all of this being said, if Johnny Football is there at 8. Scrap this idea and lets roll with him! We need some fire and competitive spirit to pair with Zimmer's.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    No way JF makes it to 8 unless something in combine or workouts exposes a fatal flaw of if he gets arrested for beating up a hooker. If we wanted to draft a QB at the top of the draft we should have fired the staff midway through the season and let Wilf coach the team to make sure we lost out.

I would be ine with trading back if we got a good offer to do so. I am hoping that by drafting 2 LB's last year plus greenway and Cole that we have enough talent there to not use a first unless a franchise type guy like a Ray Lewis or similar that you can't let go is sitting there.

I would like to see another CB or a Safety taken in the first few rounds as well as a DT to play beside Floyd.

At QB I would be fine with waiting until round 2 and taking Mettenberger or one of the other second tier guys and then taking another QB in the 6th round.

On offense we are pretty stable with the only needs being on the OL and if we get a good staff I feel we could get a couple guys cheap in FA to fill those spots. Same thing with the secondary. Draft one guy and fill the rest in FA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast