Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive Play Calling

As far as a team, I think we have the talent on the O-line to play a sifferent style of football.

We rely on the Moss factor too much.

We don't know how to change it up. Sometimes it is just better to "dance with the one that brung'ya."

But I tell you what. We could score the same percentage of TDs in the red zone as the Colts if we used the play action fake to our RB's like they do.

Man you can see the effect on the linebackers by witnessing the fact that the TE's caught all those TDs. # of the 4 TD's caught by TE's. The LB's stop in their tracks on the play fake giving the TE just enough time for the TE to get in between the LB stuck in cement and the secondary.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Offensive Play Calling

We definately should have taken more shots down the field. Big surprise they brought Sanders up to stop the run a lot. I don't think they would have done that if Pep had hit Robinson a couple times deep.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

Offensive Play Calling

The Colts D knows they got lucky last night as the Vikings decided they were going to be the team that stops beating up on the secondary. Why does the play calling change so much when your playing a team whose defense calls for the same type of passing attack that had been utilized up to last week? Moss or no Moss with Culpepper's arm and good receivers in the other 3 the pass should still be a major part of your offense. Let that set up the run plays and vice versa. Make the play calling unpredictable and the defense will be on their toes.
    fe4c0bdee276bad61c4dc5468ded7032

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive Play Calling

"CT Viking Man" wrote:
    The Colts D knows they got lucky last night as the Vikings decided they were going to be the team that stops beating up on the secondary. Why does the play calling change so much when your playing a team whose defense calls for the same type of passing attack that had been utilized up to last week? Moss or no Moss with Culpepper's arm and good receivers in the other 3 the pass should still be a major part of your offense. Let that set up the run plays and vice versa. Make the play calling unpredictable and the defense will be on their toes.
    Welcome back from the great beyond, CT! You are correct in that we should have passed more, especially once we got down by 14. If it looks like it might be a blowout, might as well take some chances. Once they caught up and made it a game, the offense actually looked pretty good...at that point, it was the defense's poor tackling that killed our chances at winning.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive Play Calling

"CT Viking Man" wrote:
    I found it ironic that both teams respected each others offense so much that they both came out to use ball control as a weapon and slow the game down to keep the others O off the field.

I really think that Manning(Colts O) dictated the decision for us to run the ball from the start(everyone knows that). But I also think that the Colts were playing the DB's back with the we will let them have the underneath stuff, just no one gets behind us. No big plays. Still we didn't pass enough. They were giving us the underneath ball. Our O mentallity has been and should be pass first run second.

But our offense was able to score 4 times(not including the special teams TD) in the offensive sceme we put on the field. If you look at it like that and then. We didn't get any turn overs. We probably would have scored on the Burleson punt return if he wouldn't have scored. The offense wasn't the problem. We just got started on the wrong offensive foot by fumbling. Mentally, even though we didn't loose that fumble, it was as good as a turnover because we really never had a chance to get the first down. We lost 20 yds or so on the play and ended up punting giving them a short field to work with.

You must dance with the one that Brung Ya. DC has to have more than 19 pass attempts.

Offensive Play Calling

That fumble to start off was definitely a deflator. I remember looking at the scoreboard and seeing 2 and 38. I didn't expect the Vikings to get it in one shot but a good pass play on 3rd down may have helped get a conversion and perhaps get some momentum going.
    fe4c0bdee276bad61c4dc5468ded7032

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Offensive Play Calling

That damn play kept us from getting to 300 yards of total offense too to keep our record streak going! Oh well, time to start a new one!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12