Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    loudog is offline Training Camp

Offensive Play Calling

I don't know if I am the only one, but it seems as if Linehan's play calling has not been as effective or efficient enough lately in order to utilize the resources to achieve the highest productivity.

The play calling has become way too predictable and way too simplistic.

If I recall correctly, at the beginning of the season (vs. Dallas, & 1st halves vs. Chicago & Houston), the play calling was much smarter (like what Indy did to us). I know that Moss enables us to be a little more creative, but we should not have to completely rely on one player (Moss), or we're in big trouble.

Whatever happened to using misdirections, play-actions, fake reverses, utilizing the halfback on swing plays, the bubble screens we were doing so well, and going deep once in a while? And the running game is also lacking versatility. We do the same running play every time we decide to keep the ball on the ground. The only decison being made is, "should we go to Birk's left or right?" Why not try some sweep plays or pitches to string it out from time to time?

I want the flea-flicker back, man. We used to do that kind of $hit all the time back in the day (in the late 80's and early to mid 90s).

We do gain a lot of yards and points (most of the time), but I still feel as if things could be much better with smarter, more unpredictable play calling. We need to keep the defenses guessing, and use what we have to our advantage. Otherwise we're f**cked.
    What s the use of autonomy when a button does it all?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Offensive Play Calling

"loudog" wrote:
    I don't know if I am the only one, but it seems as if Linehan's play calling has not been as effective or efficient enough lately in order to utilize the resources to achieve the highest productivity.

The play calling has become way too predictable and way too simplistic.

If I recall correctly, at the beginning of the season (vs. Dallas, & 1st halves vs. Chicago & Houston), the play calling was much smarter (like what Indy did to us). I know that Moss enables us to be a little more creative, but we should not have to completely rely on one player (Moss), or we're in big trouble.

Whatever happened to using misdirections, play-actions, fake reverses, utilizing the halfback on swing plays, the bubble screens we were doing so well, and going deep once in a while? And the running game is also lacking versatility. We do the same running play every time we decide to keep the ball on the ground. The only decison being made is, "should we go to Birk's left or right?" Why not try some sweep plays or pitches to string it out from time to time?

I want the flea-flicker back, man. We used to do that kind of $hit all the time back in the day (in the late 80's and early to mid 90s).

We do gain a lot of yards and points (most of the time), but I still feel as if things could be much better with smarter, more unpredictable play calling. We need to keep the defenses guessing, and use what we have to our advantage. Otherwise we're f**cked.
    Didn't we suck in the late 80s/early 90s...flea flickers are for desperate times IMHO...what we need is simply more variety in the playcalling, but sticking to the basics variety, just mixing up the run vs. the pass for more variety, not trickery...if our offense is so great, we should be able to do what we want without trying to fool someone.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Offensive Play Calling

Linehan is a crappy offensive coordinator who gets away with it because he has the best receiver in football to scheme around. We have all seen what he does without Moss in the game. If anyone should be fired after this season if should be him.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

loudog is offline Training Camp

Offensive Play Calling

Yeah, good point. The flea-flicker thing was just a joke, but as you said, more variety sums up the point I was trying to make. I just want smarter play calling. Is that too much to ask?
    What s the use of autonomy when a button does it all?

Jarhead is offline Rookie

Offensive Play Calling

It does seem odd to me that we couldn't throw the ball better against the worst defense in the league. Robinson, Burleson, and Campbell are as good as most other teams top three receivers.

I know Freeney was making McKinney his bitch all game long but c'mon. We still have three good receivers, decent pass catching TE's, and pass catching backs. We should have been able to throw the ball better than we did. 19 attempts for 154 yds is unacceptable.
    And, ladies and gentlemen, I also know that he cannot lead troops to victory in a war when he has made it perfectly clear that he does not support the cause. -Gen. Tommy Franks on John Kerry-

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Offensive Play Calling

Would have liked to have seen better protection for Culpepper. Only rarely in the game did he have any.

And as far as the play calling is concerned......I'd like to know why it seems to take Linehan so long to shift gears. I would like to see faster modification of the play calling during the game.

Does anyone else notice that Culpepper isn't doing as many audibles as he was earlier in the year? I wonder what is up with that?

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive Play Calling

"loudog" wrote:
    Yeah, good point. The flea-flicker thing was just a joke, but as you said, more variety sums up the point I was trying to make. I just want smarter play calling. Is that too much to ask?
    Nope, but Linehan is in exactly the same position that Billick was earlier in his career (I was calling for his head every week back then)...Linehan will get better and he has the rest of the year to figure it out, because come next year, my only expectation is winning the Super Bowl...we will have all of the pieces in place and will only need to do what we are capable of...I predict a top offense and a top 10 - 15 defense (enough to stop teams when they have to)...as for this year, I will take a playoff win or two and maybe losing to the eventual champion or NFC Super Bowl participant...of course, I will take a Super Bowl win if it lands in our lap (just not a fifth Super Bowl LOSS, it would be too much to bear).
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Offensive Play Calling

"ADubya26" wrote:
    Linehan is a crappy offensive coordinator who gets away with it because he has the best receiver in football to scheme around. We have all seen what he does without Moss in the game. If anyone should be fired after this season if should be him.
    again, i agree.

this coaching staff lacks drive as a whole. ukeright:

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Offensive Play Calling

The thing that I don't understand is if our O-line is struggling, why don't we have some moving pockets for Culpepper. Get him rolling out to one side to buy him some extra time! That is what I would like to see more of, but my opinion doesn't really matter now does it!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Offensive Play Calling

"loudog" wrote:
    In the past few years we have scored at least 2 TDs to moss off the Flea flicker. Bennett and R.Smith both have been part of successfull attempts.

I am not suggesting more fleas, just stating that it is not just a joke.

There have been a ton of tricks this year in the NFL. Just this week, Portis TD throw and Vinatierri pass to the WR on the sideline uncovered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast