Dibbzz is offline Starter

Offensive Line you'd like the Vikes to draft

I was looking at some early mock drafts on the web and the general consensious is that the Vikings will more than likely use their #1 2009 draft pick on the o-line. Some names that have been coming up have been Ciron Black from LSU, Jason Smith from Baylor and Eben Britton from Arizona. While watching the Texas Tech-Oklahoma thrashing I caught a glimpse of a big man by the name of Brandon Carter, who also happens to be a Junior from TT. I'm obviously no NFL Scout or GM (if I were I wouldn't be posting on teh internets) but I do think that the offensive line is something that needs to be addressed this offseason. So this being my first "real" post on PP.O, give me some names that the Purple needs to draft in 2009.

Ranger is offline Coach

Re: Offensive Line you'd like the Vikes to draft

"Dibbzz" wrote:
    I was looking at some early mock drafts on the web and the general consensious is that the Vikings will more than likely use their #1 2009 draft pick on the o-line. Some names that have been coming up have been Ciron Black from LSU, Jason Smith from Baylor and Eben Britton from Arizona. While watching the Texas Tech-Oklahoma thrashing I caught a glimpse of a big man by the name of Brandon Carter, who also happens to be a Junior from TT. I'm obviously no NFL Scout or GM (if I were I wouldn't be posting on teh internets) but I do think that the offensive line is something that needs to be addressed this offseason. So this being my first "real" post on PP.O, give me some names that the Purple needs to draft in 2009.
    Most the guys I know of are left tackles...not sure on right tackle prospects, although it might work to draft a LT and have him play RT.

I think, despite it being a thick draft for OL, that most of the elite linemen will be gone by the time we pick.
    We should just go with the BPA, provided it's not a running back.
    If we can, trade up for a quarterback.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

You might be tracking with respect to the use of our higher draft picks this year on the OL.

I would think that T and C might be pretty high on Ricky Boys list of must drafts.
    Going off memory, I think we have picks in the First,,Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth - To the Eagles for the Holcomb, Seventh A, and Seventh B - From Washington for EJ's.

Lets pretend that Rick wants to go with a Vet for a QB this year and gives up a high draft pick for one of them (lets go McNabb for a 2nd and another mid round pick in 2010 based on incentives).
    That would leave us a 1rst and 3rd to mess with to get a quality starter that could provide immediate impact from day one.
    By the way, the rest of the picks IMHO will be used to move up the board 2 times this year as we don't need much more youth on this team.
    Just some solid backups or instant starters......

With that said, I think they will go this route (again if they get McNabb or any other starter of value that would burn a high pick)....

a.
    LB.
    The loss of EJ this year really shows how thin we are.
    I almost have this as my number one priority (again if we get a Vet QB of value.
    If they don't then insert QB here).

b.
    T.
    And this isn't because of Cook alone.
    I question both sides of the line and think a top pick could go here.

c.
    C.
    Like it or not, Matt isn't getting any younger.
    Sullivan could be the answer but a nice G/C kindof guy would make sense.

d.
    QB.
    I for one still think a staff should draft a QB almost every year if one looks to be a guy you could work with.
    Bring in a guy and let him and JDB work for the developmental spot.

All other picks will be used to get the 4 guys they target.
    As I said, this team is starting to look real nice with respect to starters and depth.
    Why wast all 7 picks on players that might/might not make the team.
    Use them wisely to target the key guys in this draft you really need and are sure will make the team.

Great post by the way my friend.
    I love talking draft strategy.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Not too familiar with this years prospects, but I really wanted us to trade up and get sam Baker in the second round.
    Unfortunately some R-tard decided to snag him in the first.

What I think we need this year

a. Kicker - Longwell's kickoff distance is completely unacceptable, we need a guy who can get touchbacks AND be as consistant

b. RT.
    McKinney is doing fairly well, Cook on the other hand.... well lets just say not so much.
    We need a guy who's quick off the line, and with good reach, since we play Kampman twice every season.

c. C/G
    I'm agreeing with Marr on the need for center.
    Birk isn't getting any younger and will need replacing in the next few years, but not untill we have someone who is reliable.
    Sullivan may be that guy in the future, but it wouldn't hurt to have some choice

d. QB need i explain this one?

e. LDE (late round pick)
    someone who can play both DT and DE, Udeze will hopefully be back, but i doubt he'll be in playing condition.
    Edwards is doing squat except drawing flags, it would be great to get a 5 man rotation going on that line.

f. WR (late round pick)
    keep bringing em in.
    Who knows who will pan out, and at very least, try for a good return guy.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Not too familiar with this years prospects, but I really wanted us to trade up and get sam Baker in the second round.
    Unfortunately some R-tard decided to snag him in the first.

What I think we need this year

a. Kicker - Longwell's kickoff distance is completely unacceptable, we need a guy who can get touchbacks AND be as consistant

b. RT.
    McKinney is doing fairly well, Cook on the other hand.... well lets just say not so much.
    We need a guy who's quick off the line, and with good reach, since we play Kampman twice every season.

c. C/G
    I'm agreeing with Marr on the need for center.
    Birk isn't getting any younger and will need replacing in the next few years, but not untill we have someone who is reliable.
    Sullivan may be that guy in the future, but it wouldn't hurt to have some choice

d. QB need i explain this one?

e. LDE (late round pick)
    someone who can play both DT and DE, Udeze will hopefully be back, but i doubt he'll be in playing condition.
    Edwards is doing squat except drawing flags, it would be great to get a 5 man rotation going on that line.

f. WR (late round pick)
    keep bringing em in.
    Who knows who will pan out, and at very least, try for a good return guy.
    Nice call on the LDE my friend.
    I almost put it in there but refuse to mention it until we find out more about my boy Keneche's return.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg