Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Offensive Line Examined

The Offensive Line Examined

Alright I’ll take a shot at this. It seems lately that there are a whole lot of people upset with our offensive line. You hear things like 100 million dollar line, and gripes about McKinney and Hutch and their lack of production. This is pretty unfair and after I looked at the stands not only is it unfair it is wrong.

We have run the ball 38 times to the left for 157 yards and that is an average of 4.1 yards per carry. That is by far the best result we have had on the running game. The most impressive results are the runs to the left between guard and tackle. The least impressive stat is the run to the right between the Guard and the Center.

Going left from right along the line:

McKinney: Big and powerful tackle. They are few and far between and he is one of the better ones. His weakness is over compensating for the fast DE and giving up the inside.

Hutchinson: Powerful run blocker. Our stats support this with our two most productive running gaps coming off his hind quarters. The gap between him and McKinney (Left B Gap) comes in at #1, the gap between him and M. Birk (Left A Gap) comes in at #2. How many penalties have been called on Hutch? ZERO.

Birk: Tenured veteran who is having a rough start. He is tied with A. Hicks for offensive penalties. He is smart but his play is not showing that this season so far.

Hicks: Comes from a Childress system. Run blocking is not his strong point, he is however a solid pass blocker. My biggest concern with him is he has had too many penalties….bad ones. Penalties that take us from the red zone to field goal land.

Johnson: The big question mark. Marcus Johnson. He got some heat from last game for the penalty on the 2 point conversion. This guy is pretty solid for the most part. He has been doing a fairly good job with his foot work. He could go either way.

Alright now that you survived that this is what I think is happening and what I think should happen. I think the left side of the line is solid despite what you hear the fans saying. Statistically that is a fact. The right side of the line is making huge mistakes with penalties and requiring constant help from TE’s and FB’s. This makes the team weaker as a whole and it makes Birks job that much harder. I think they are simply trying to hard, the talent is not there. Childress as a coach cannot abandon the run to the right or the middle right. Because then they will Q off on our run game. Hell they probably already do because of the required help to Marcus Johnson. When Childress says he doesn’t always give him help. I think that is because he can’t if he did it would be a flag to the defense that the play is going right.

What I would like to see happen is move Steve Hutchinson to right Guard. I have said it before and I will say it again guard is arguably the easiest position in all of football. Move Steve to the right and let his skill balance out the line. He is good on help defense and penalties. Distribute the talent equally relieving pressure from Matt Birk and Marcus Johnson.

I would not feel comfortable moving our most talented tackle to the right side of the line leaving Brad Johnsons left side open to attack. It’s the only move that could balance the line and improve it as a whole. The only question is could Hutch handle the move? The playbook should be the same only the reads flip flopped. That is the only 100 million dollar question on this line.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Offensive Line Examined

I don't think it would be horrible idea to move Hutchinson.
    Artis is a LG as well, and Hutchinson could probably make the transition easier and let his natural talent overcome any technical issues he may need to adjust to.
    Then again, most of our line hasn't played together for very long, so I wouldn't mind waiting a few games to see if they start improving a a unit.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good analysis Del, I certainly hadn't realised that we had that sort of production on the left side. As you say the penalties on the right side have overshadowed the line as a whole. Childress does have a problem with being limited on how much help he can give without tipping off the defence.
    McKinnie is probably the best tackle we have and having invested in him we need to make good use of him. With Johnson we need a good LT and McKinnie is the best that we have.
    Hicks I'm surprised at as Childress obviously thought a lot of him to bring him to the Vikes. He needs to knuckle down and show us the reason why he was brought in.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

I don't buy it Del.

A 4.1 Average is pathetic in comparison to years past:

2005: 3.9
    2004: 4.7
    2003: 4.8
    2002: 5.3
    2001: 4.3
    2000: 5.0

None of these lines aobve were getting the obscene money that is being paid to our line this year.

It's all about the "X's & O's".
    Chemistry will make a good line better . . . but it won't make a bad line great.
    These guys need to make it happen and until they make it happen, fans like me are gonna be disappointed with them.

If they weren't getting the money they are now, maybe we wouldn't be as hard on them.
    But they are.
    They are supposed to be among the best and that's why they are getting the big money, but they need to produce against . . . everyone (not just weaker defenses).

They need to be making opposing defenses say "we didn't shut down the running game because they have the best O-line in the NFL".

No more excuses.
    Make it Happen.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Del Rio Guest

"sleepagent" wrote:
    I don't buy it Del.

A 4.1 Average is pathetic in comparison to years past:

2005: 3.9
    2004: 4.7
    2003: 4.8
    2002: 5.3
    2001: 4.3
    2000: 5.0

None of these lines aobve were getting the obscene money that is being paid to our line this year.

It's all about the "X's & O's".
    Chemistry will make a good line better . . . but it won't make a bad line great.
    These guys need to make it happen and until they make it happen, fans like me are gonna be disappointed with them.

If they weren't getting the money they are now, maybe we wouldn't be as hard on them.
    But they are.
    They are supposed to be among the best and that's why they are getting the big money, but they need to produce against . . . everyone (not just weaker defenses).

They need to be making opposing defenses say "we didn't shut down the running game because they have the best O-line in the NFL".

No more excuses.
    Make it Happen.
    A 4.1 Average would put us at 11th in the NFL for rushing average. So as far as it being pathetic I think your reaching a mile on that one.

You don't have to buy it, because I'm not selling it. You go through the play by play and break down which runs were to which side, use NFL.com and write down the results. They are there for you to see. 4.1 is adequate.

2nd and 6 is fine and dandy and is acceptable.
    3rd and 2 is even better.

If 4.1 doesn't make you tight in the pants then you are expecting too damn much. Not to mention that the left side of the line is our known strength and it is focused on more by the defense then the right.

Fans are looking for a reason to bitch. Your barking up the wrong tree brother. There are worse players on our team getting lit up every week that get paid way more then their production. It's the cool thing to say, to grab onto a name and a $ ammount and talk out the ass, but the stats don't lie.

Del Rio Guest

Here is a stat that will put your 4.1 yard average into perspective. You know what the average yardage was last season for the Seahawks? A team that had the league leading rusher, Hutch, and a line far superior to our own............

[move][size=20pt]4.7[/size][/move]

So if your gonna beeyatch about the difference between 4.1 and 4.7 and cry about money. Your crying to the wrong guy, because I won't be signing up for that anytime soon. If Alexander ammasses 1800+ yards and Seahawks as a whole averaged 4.7 yards I'm fine with that.

What some fans problems are they want that one name, that one contract, that one person to work a miracle and make all the boo boo's go away. HE CAN'T DO THAT! They only averaged .6 more a carry with a better line. No penalties, and 4.1 average Steve Hutchinson and McKinnie are doing their jobs, the rest of the line is not.

Sorry .6, .1, .7, .2......difference is not pathetic. Not when only one side of your line is not getting flagged and is moving the ball 4.1 yards per carry every time.

oakmage is offline Starter

Personally I am happy with the 4.1 ave, but saying that the one thing that is bothering me with the o-line is that they seem to be having penalties at t he worst time, the 2 point play just
    to name one. It seems to me that the penalties are all mental errors so I was thinking that maybe we should sit one of the starters for one game but then if we did who would we sit?

Del Rio Guest

"oakmage" wrote:
    Personally I am happy with the 4.1 ave, but saying that the one thing that is bothering me with the o-line is that they seem to be having penalties at t he worst time, the 2 point play just
    to name one. It seems to me that the penalties are all mental errors so I was thinking that maybe we should sit one of the starters for one game but then if we did who would we sit?
    Most of your penalties are coming from Birk, Hicks, and Johnson. When the ball is ran to the right side of the line we average 2.8 yards per carry. 22 runs for 61 yards. The talent is not there. I do not think there is one person on our bench who can step into the right side of the line and do any better then who is there now. I like Ryan Cook, but throwing a young guy in there isn't going to fix the penalties.

When the skill isn't there, when you know your not going to be getting help because the coach can't dedicate his FB to your side every play. Then you start trying harder, you start making mistakes. At least that is what I think is happenning and is why I suggested moving Hutch to RG.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

O-line...bend over and grab the table...spread 'em wide...yep, it is confirmed...all of y'all heads are buried up your A$$ES!!!

EXAMINATION COMPLETE!!!

LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ForceOfNorse is offline Starter

C'mon,
    Jesus Christ!
    Our O-Line (esp. the right side) is shooting the entire unit in the foot with all of the jumping, and holding penalties!!!!!!!!
    It's making me sick!
    We should have had at least 2 more TD's in every damn game, so far!!!!

The "Red Zone" execution is killing us!
    However, if we can wake the hell up, then others will need to watch out.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast