Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line

Offensive Line

New article at Scout.com:

http://min.scout.com/2/755730.html

Right tackle Ryan Cook committed five penalties (for 38 yards) last season.
    He also allowed seven sacks for 37 yards.
    Viewed by many as
    the weak link on the offensive line, many fans might be surprised to see that Cook was "statistically" as effective on pass protection as McKinnie
    Interesting

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Offensive Line

"Bkfldviking" wrote:

Viewed by many as
    the weak link on the offensive line, many fans might be surprised to see that Cook was "statistically" as effective on pass protection as McKinnie
    Interesting
    Yeah, they both sucked at pass protection. The question is whether one more year is going to change anything or whether we are just spinning our gears at those two roster spots.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:

Viewed by many as
    Interesting
    Yeah, they both sucked at pass protection. The question is whether one more year is going to change anything or whether we are just spinning our gears at those two roster spots.
    Agreed, niether is great against the speed rushers.Cook did improve over the previous year. I'm hoping there is more improvement in him.
    I don't see McKinnie improving.
    Both are pretty good run blockers though.Just adequate pass blockers.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Bkfldviking" wrote:

Viewed by many as
    Interesting
    Agreed, niether is great against the speed rushers.Cook did improve over the previous year. I'm hoping there is more improvement in him.
    I don't see McKinnie improving.
    Both are pretty good run blockers though.Just adequate pass blockers.
    Which makes me wonder, why are we getting all excited that McKinnie might be suspended?
    The one prospect that has me intrigued is Chase Johnson.
    What is the staff seeing in this kid that has allowed him to remain on the active roster?
    He has survived by not being put on waivers, not moved to the practice squad, or just plain released.
    While "Mount McKinnie"
    might
    be hard to replace the coaches have seen something in this kid that makes them keep hold of him, and remember, he is no midget either

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I see they been running Hicks at LT with Chase taking additional reps at LT in Big Macs absence.

I guess I am wrong about Hicks.
    I really thought that guy would be a roster cut to make room for Mozes or Sullivan.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Here we go again....
    Yes cook was as effective as Mac
    :, except most of the time Hick has the TE lining up with him to help him out. When people say out LT sucks, It lets me know they don't know what they are talking about.

I've said it time and time again. The Vikings as a team did not put their OL in a position to suceed. Thru the poor Qb play( at times) we faced constant preessure and fronts designed to confuse the OL and QB. A lot of teams faced similar fronts but not as consistantly as we did. Secondly,
    our coaching staff did not call plays that helped take the pressure off our OLine.

Mac is not Ogden but he is a 100 ten LT in this league. Look back at all those Superman runs made by AD and you see Mac blocking 1 sometimes 2 guys that cause AD to spring loose( excluding the cutbacks to the right side.

He gets knocked for getting beat by speed rushers but most of those are on poor switches from Hutch( yes zone blocking invloves switching DLmen when needed). Just think about all of the teams searching for a LT and be greatful that we have Mac.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Here we go again....
    :, except most of the time Hick has the TE lining up with him to help him out. When people say out LT sucks, It lets me know they don't know what they are talking about.

I've said it time and time again. The Vikings as a team did not put their OL in a position to suceed. Thru the poor Qb play( at times) we faced constant preessure and fronts designed to confuse the OL and QB. A lot of teams faced similar fronts but not as consistantly as we did. Secondly,
    our coaching staff did not call plays that helped take the pressure off our OLine.

Mac is not Ogden but he is a 100 ten LT in this league. Look back at all those Superman runs made by AD and you see Mac blocking 1 sometimes 2 guys that cause AD to spring loose( excluding the cutbacks to the right side.

He gets knocked for getting beat by speed rushers but most of those are on poor switches from Hutch( yes zone blocking invloves switching DLmen when needed). Just think about all of the teams searching for a LT and be greatful that we have Mac.
    Maybe one day you will convince me you are correct here.
    Until then, I am still hoping Chase beats out Hicks and Hicks goes away.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Here we go again....

No one doubts his run blocking ability, and keep in mind, most of Peterson's "super man" runs were on counters, so it's a simple down block for McKinnie to make, doesn't matter.

The only trouble is, he's inconsistent in his pass blocking, IMO, when he's on he's awesome, one of the best. But he needs to be consistent.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Here we go again....

No one doubts his run blocking ability, and keep in mind, most of Peterson's "super man" runs were on counters, so it's a simple down block for McKinnie to make, doesn't matter.

The only trouble is, he's inconsistent in his pass blocking, IMO, when he's on he's awesome, one of the best. But he needs to be consistent.
    You can't seperate the two. Pass and Run blocking. He is amazing at run blocking. His passblocking as you said is incosistant. I think he got better as the season went along. Mind you we were playing QB musicaly chairs last year( TJ, BB, KH) and the year before (TJ and BJ). It takes time for an Lt and his q to el throw in a new scheme and you can see the problems. Lastly, we had a bunch of qbs that simply held on to the ball too much and a coach that ran a vanilla offense( perharps by choice but perharps he was limited by his players ability).

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Here we go again....

I disagree with that. If you look back at the games since the new scheme was installed, there have been way too many times when the Qb was hit before they even knew it was coming and before they even made it to the last step of their drop. It happened to johnson, it happened to jackson, it happened to bollinger when he was brought in and it happened to Holcolm and put him out with a neck injury.

I do agree that the QB play did impact the lines ability to block effectively at times, but there have been too many times when it wouldn't have mattered who was back there because the pressure came too fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast