Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

Offensive Identity

The announcers were right on sunday when they said we need an identity. Tice and loney thought it would be using the run to set up the pass. that has not worked. First we just dont have a good enough offensive line. Secondly, as fox said, we have always used the pass to set up the run. We need to go back to this. here is what i think we should do--

set up with three recievers and wiggings at TE and moor at RB. do quick three step drops to hide our blocking problems. Use moore alot out of the back feild. get him in space and let him work. Start getting confidence and getting into a rythm, then when they start to play the pass, use moore to run the ball. One thing that is missing from this years viking team is the little screen to the Wr. when the cb was playing off the ball, DC would just throw the ball right down the line and let the reciever run with the ball. it served as like a running play. This would be good with williamson and burilson (if he ever gets back), cuz they have good running capiblities.

any thoughts?
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

Del Rio Guest

Re: Offensive Identity

I think we should run first and pass second.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Passing with a bad O-line is definately harder than running with a bad O-line. I think we need to commit to the run more, with Moore (no Bennett) but also call the right running plays at the right time (no 3rd and 10 draws out of the shotgun).

I am a firm beliver in running the ball wins games, but we just cannot run the ball. Remember the third quater of the saints game when we ran the ball on first and second down for three- four straight possessions? We had third and long every time and we got sacked atleast twice??

Comming into this year, i thought we should have ran the ball, play a ball control type of offense, but after 5 games, I see we do not have the personal to do this. The line is flat out not good enough, and so far DC has made too many bad decisions with the ball. I dont see this team winning very many games running the ball 25-30+ times a game
    --Sage Francis

Our "identity" is Daunte Culpepper. Running..throwing...scrambling around..making plays...he's supposed to be the "man" on this team and we should reflect his play...Daunte has failed...so the VIkings have failed. IMO

Del Rio Guest

The game against the bears showed that at times we are good at running.
    A few problems I saw was us constantly running towards the left very few runs to the right side of the line.

Draws are aweful if there is one thing in the entire world that I simply cannot stand from the Vikings it is the total ammount of draw plays, it is horrible.

This issue was kicked around a lot. IMO if we don't start running the ball, with NEW plays or at least some variation of the old ones we are screwed. The offense is designed for explosive runs. It is not a means to move the chains. So when the coaches try to run more it baffles me. This play sucks so lets run it more often?

If DC is our offense than why would we run the ball first? it just makes little sense.

Another thing lacking from our offense--rolling the qb out. we have one of the best running qbs but we keep him in the pocket time and time again. we need to protect our o line, and moving cpep would mask our weakness
    --Sage Francis

"Eyedea" wrote:
    If DC is our offense than why would we run the ball first? it just makes little sense.

Another thing lacking from our offense--rolling the qb out. we have one of the best running qbs but we keep him in the pocket time and time again. we need to protect our o line, and moving cpep would mask our weakness
    Daunte running....Daunte throwing...Daunte scrambling, making plays....he IS this teams identity...the second they traded Moss this became Dauntes team....the problem is he has made too many mistakes, the O line is weak and the coaching staff....well, enough said.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Yeah, let's just line up with Moe as the lead back, Memo as the tail with a 3 tightend set and just pound the crap out of teams. If they put too many in the box, have Wiggy fake block and go downfield and beat that linebacker or saftey! It's worth a shot!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Draws are aweful if there is one thing in the entire world that I simply cannot stand from the Vikings it is the total ammount of draw plays, it is horrible.

This issue was kicked around a lot. IMO if we don't start running the ball, with NEW plays or at least some variation of the old ones we are screwed. The offense is designed for explosive runs. It is not a means to move the chains. So when the coaches try to run more it baffles me. This play sucks so lets run it more often?
    God! I can't agree with this more! Time & time again they run the draw with the O-line seldom opening holes. And to do it against the Bears who are #3 or #1 against the run was poor play calling.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast