Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vikingbill50 is offline Starter

Re: Offense better with no stud WR?

i think we will see out tight ends used alot more than we have ever before....i am hoping the running game will open up more and show more than what the preseason did, but it was the preseason...now is the time to show
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Big C is offline Coordinator

I totally agree. I expect the TE, RB and FB to catch more passes than the WR corps. Wiggins is still the most reliable recieving option. He's the closest thing we have to a "go-to-guy". I think that's what we need at WR rather than a "stud" WR.

On a side note, I expect Troy to have a breakout year because the west-coast offense is about yards after carry. I believe Troy's speed kicks in to gear once he has the ball rather than when he is running a deep route.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

oakmage is offline Starter

I don't care what you call them "stud" or go to guy just as long as when the time comes to catch the ball when it is 3 and what ever so we can get that first down that will ensure a victory that is what we need, because when it is all said and done that is what you need to help you win a championship some one to make the play when it has to be done.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't think you can ever say you are better without a great wide receiver. Childress's experience in Philly was because of TO's attitude, not his ability. TO made that team a whole lot better and played a huge role in getting them to the Super Bowl.

IMO, we are a better team without TO because of his attitude. But if we had a stud like Marvin Harrison, who is a great wide receiver and a good guy as well, it is definately hard to say that we wouldn't be better. Then again, good guys like Marvin are few and far between.

Torontovik15 is offline Rookie

You cannot say any team is better without a stud WR...They command double teams and they are consistant is both running routes and catching the ball...

But I will say this, I would have 2 above average recievers over a stud reciever with attitude...They are nothing but distractions and force the QB to make plays that they normal wouldnt do...
    What we got here is a failure to communicate.

VAKirks is offline Training Camp

Let's not confuse ability with attitude.
    We don't want any distractions, but you can't underestimate the defense having to focus on somebody.
    Whether it's double teaming a wideout or putting 8 in the box.
    If they can single cover effectively for 60 mins, then we are screwed.

Even having said that, I also think that we could turn it to our advantage.
    With no one to key on, somebody has to step up and the defense might not be able to predict who.
    But that's the thing - somebody has step up, even if it's someone different each week.

And if you haven't figured me out yet - I'm a total rose-colored, half-full, homer.
    I think anyone who ever wore purple and gold should be in the hall of fame, by definition.

Go Vikes
    Bring me the prisoners; I want them alive!

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm waiting to see more of our offense whn they use a bit more than the vanilla stuff that we've seen this year. Don't forget people that there's no prizes for having an outstanding pre-season when everyone is then tready for you during the regular season.
    Let's see how our RBs operate once we use the proper gameplan that Childress and Co. have in place. Whose to say that the new scheme won't produce a stud WR or RB ?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Ummm, I remember when we had a stud reciever, and had a Top 5 offense for 7 years straight, but I guess we have a new system now, but whatever....

I still want Moss back.
    NO Super Bowls though...so screw the stud WR thing and give me a STUD RB and a STUD DEFENSE...that is what wins Super Bowls!!!
    So how many super bowls did the vikings win a top rated D?
    It was not moss' fault the gen manager then owner refused to put money into the D while they were here, they could have won a few if the D was better.
    The vikings have never won a super bowl so if we win with a Moss type reciever its fine with me. If our offence is simular to the offence we ended the year with, it wont matter how good the D is, if you cant score against good teams your not even going to make it to the playoffs.
    You republican whore!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

i say we're really well set on what we got, however i cant say "better" without a stud reciever, u can have a stud player while still having a well-oiled team.

do we need one? no.

it keeps our game plan wide and unpredictable, the only thing i'll sometimes wish we had one for, is bring the safety over the top in coverage and dropping a player out of the box

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    it keeps our game plan wide and unpredictable, the only thing i'll sometimes wish we had one for, is bring the safety over the top in coverage and dropping a player out of the box
    That's why we'll send Chester in motion to the slot quite a bit. Richardson has shown that he can get it done solo in the backfield if we want to draw the safety off run coverage by sending Taylor wide.
    -Sno

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast