Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

Lightbulb Off the wall idea

Here's a radical suggestion for one move we could make that might help us out.

Back in the day, a lot of college QBs got drafted not to play that position. The most common conversion for a QB who isn't going to be an NFL starting QB, was to Safety. Now I'm not saying he can't be a starter, but...

Convert Joe Webb to Safety. His athleticism would help us out tremendously back there. We could really use his speed and ability in our secondary.

What do you think?

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Gift is offline Coordinator
    and make McNabb a DT
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I made that suggestion earlier and yes, if he is not going to be developed into a QB then safety is a great conversion to look at.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I'm not a big fan of trying to convert a player into something he's not. Wasn't he also a WR in college?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

I would like to convert him into Jerry Rice.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'm not a big fan of trying to convert a player into something he's not. Wasn't he also a WR in college?
    no, he was a QB in college who played some snaps at WR. He was primarily a QB though for most of his career. Mediocre at QB, less good at WR. I'm not sure why people think he'll all of a sudden convert to a good WR?

There's no reason to think he can catch, go up in traffic, run routes, learn to react to a defense, etc. He's just big, fast and can jump.... Reminds me of a certain Todd Lowber guy we had on the PS for a while.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    In other words his best shot mIght be as a DB.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    no, he was a QB in college who played some snaps at WR. He was primarily a QB though for most of his career. Mediocre at QB, less good at WR. I'm not sure why people think he'll all of a sudden convert to a good WR?

There's no reason to think he can catch, go up in traffic, run routes, learn to react to a defense, etc. He's just big, fast and can jump.... Reminds me of a certain Todd Lowber guy we had on the PS for a while.
    +1

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    There is more reason to think he would work as a Safety than as a WR. His pure athletic ability is more suited to it, and there is less to learn early on.

A lot of folks keep complaining about our lack of speed in the secondary, and this is a potential answer to at least part of that. He can run fast, he can jump, he can break up a pass play. The big question would be whether he can learn to tackle.

The other nice thing about the conversion would be that he could still be used as the "emergency" QB if needed.

Hell, maybe we should even try him out a holder on kicks.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    In other words his best shot mIght be as a DB.
    Can he tackle? As the traveling man said, it was fairly common to put athletic QB's in at safeties back in the day.

I think the biggest issue in today's NFL that Webb would struggle with is the physical side of it. That is the willingness to sell out his body to lay on a lick.

I do like the idea of McNabb at DT though. Marrdro, can he be the warpig you long for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast