Off to the Game!
I will be departing early to revel in Lambeau atmosphere, so I probably won't be around to impart my trash or receive your until late tonight. I will be in nosebleed area in section 133, row 57, but a quick duck behind the seats will take me to the upper concourse and much less-used bathrooms.
Anyway, my thoughts:
1) I really did not want to play the Vikings in terms of the Packers having a sure win. I would much have rather had New Orleans, Seattle, or St. Louis and felt much more confident of a victory. We're too familiar with one another to have much of an advantage over each other. No matter the record or momentum, it's 0-0 and an even playing field.
2) Being it IS the Vikings, this is the first Viking/GB game I have ever been to, and I know I am totally psyched to be there. The stadium will be alive, and I will be screaming at the top of my lungs. Vikes may not have been my first choice, but now that they are here, I'm going to wallow in the rivalry and high-stakes pressure.
3) Yahoo Sports had 6 "professionals" pick the game and playoffs. All 6 picked the Pack to win. 3 had GB in the Super Bowl. This worries me more than anything. The Packers tend to fail when expectations are highest.
4) Momentum and a quarter will buy you a cup of coffee. I don't buy momentum as an advantage. One 80 TD pass to Moss and "momentum" is now 100% the other way.
5) The Packers will win if they play to win. Sherman tends to get nervous in big games and play "not to lose". It happened in the Seattle game last year (and Al Harris saved his butt), and in the Philly game last year (NOT on 4th and 26, but on 4th and 1, when we decided to punt). I beleive if we attack and put the boot to the throat, the Viking damaged psyche will not be able to fight back. If we play tenative, though, it will be all the temptation you need to motivate yourselves.
6) This game will either be close or a blowout. This will not be a 7 point game. It will be a one point game or a 20 point game. If one team scores 14 unanswered points, its over.
7) Expectaions are huge. Most believe that the Vikings don't deserve to be in this game, so a loss will simply be icing on TIce's cake. The media will be eager to place the same "team of destiny" crap on the Packers that they did last season, because we have Favre. Yes, he's marketable.
8 ) Moss will have a huge game. He will be out to prove himself this week after his crappy week. Which will beg the question, why does he turn it on and off like that?
9) It will be a dirty game by the end, especially if someone is blowing the other out. These teams don't like each other, and neither are particuarly disciplined. John Lynch and Donovan Darius will have some company by the time this game is done.
10) Win or lose, this is what the rivalry is about.
SO, that 's my thoughts, hope you guys play a good game, a clean game, and almost well enough to win.
Los's prediction: 34-31.
Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?
Welcome to the NFC North.