Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Obscure Rule Prompts Childress Challenge

http://www2.kfan.com/content/vikings/story.aspx?content_id=ebba63e6-2e4e-464a-bbdc-2eb97fb7e5dd

On the opening kickoff of the second half on Sunday, Adrian Peterson went to field the ball along the sideline at the 1-yardline. After gaining possession, Peterson’s momentum carried him out of bounds, and the Vikings were forced to start the third quarter backed up against their own goal line.

Brad Childress challenged the play, much to the chagrin of everyone who saw the replay on the Jumbotron, and lost. Peterson clearly caught the ball in bounds then stepped out. The Vikings lost a timeout, which cost them at least 40 precious seconds at the end of the game.

“It’s a little-known rule, but if you put your foot out of bounds when you’re worried about a ball that’s going out of bounds and you’re not sure… the minute you put your foot out of bounds and possess the football, the ball is out of bounds. It comes out to the 40-yard line,” Childress said.

According to both Childress and Peterson, the Vikings actually work on this particular play during special teams drills. In the heat of the game, where decisions are made on a whim at times, it’s difficult to say whether Peterson was indeed trying to establish himself out of bounds, or if he just made a rookie mistake.

“It was a bang-bang [play] and they said he didn’t possess it,” Childress said. “The guy said it was worth reviewing because that’s what I thought. I thoguth he had a foot down and possession, but obviously they don’t see enough to [overrule].”

It was a situation where Peterson was better off letting the ball bounce either A) out of bounds, resulting in a penalty and fantastic field position. Or B) into the end zone for a touchback. The risk of attempting to field the ball with one foot out of bounds outweighs the reward.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikingQuest83 is offline Training Camp

Re: Obscure Rule Prompts Childress Challenge

So the rule is if he was standing out of bounds and caught it then it would have been a good play?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

We should already know that the refs are not gonna rule in our favor...those types of ruling are reserved for teams like the Pukers and Putzies!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

Now I wish I could go back and look at it again.
    That wouldn't have been a bad idea if he'd have straddled the sideline and fielded the ball if we got it at the forty.
    It didn't look like that was what was happening but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I remember watching a redskins game either last year or two years ago when a play similar to this occured. The only difference is that his foot was out of bounds before he caught the ball. That's the only possible difference in rulling I can think of, other than oh yea, the refs are officially raping us this year. But seriously, same situation, different rulling-I smell bs.
    Wait, if there's cat food in this bag............................
    I HAVE TO CHECK ON JOLLY!!!!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingQuest83" wrote:
    So the rule is if he was standing out of bounds and caught it then it would have been a good play?
    Yes.

I am gong to take a look at it on DVR again tonight.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikingQuest83 is offline Training Camp

Why would they work on this in practice? Why not let it just go out of bounds or into the endzone?

Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

Couldn't Peterson just put his one foot out of bounds and then catch the ball?
    Instead Childress is telling him to fake having his momentium force him out of bounds, and hope the refs agree that he couldn't stop himself from going out of bounds
    Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingQuest83" wrote:
    Yes, in fact, Baldy said it so I'm gonna believe it, we would have got the ball on the 40 if they would have ruled in our favor.

I dug a bit last night to see what the heck he was talking about however, not much there that I could find.
    I just assumed he, like all commentators, was just pulling something nebulous out of his ass.
    ;D

Go figure.
    Maybe he, along with the ole Chiller and his coaching staff no more than some dumb old fan and a broke down announcer.
    ;D

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/digestofrules
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingQuest83" wrote:
    Why would they work on this in practice? Why not let it just go out of bounds or into the endzone?
    To ensure it does go out of bounds vice killing on the one.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast