Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Freya is offline Team Alumni

Re: O-Line Taylor sucking

Test, test, test. Preseason is time to test the waters. Find the weak spots. See how other teams will react to things.

They can't send ALL running plays to the left. Or at least they shouldn't.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

I dont think they are using their more effective running plays in the preseason.
    From what I can tell on TV, they havent pulled that much this preseason!
    I will get worried if Chester's YPC average is at 2.7 after the first regular season game!

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

i guarentee we are not going to show our hand by doing some of our more dominant rrunning plays during pointless games. we will bring those out the first game and really wow some people!
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

ForceOfNorse is offline Starter

I think that we are not going to show our hand, but at the same time, our left side, which is supposed to be "just plain nasty" hasn't opened but one damn hole for Taylor.

Still, I have faith.

B.J looks better than his last tenure with us, and finally, our D is looking damn good!!!

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

Looks to me like many teams are not really worried or concerned about the running game. I have read a few reviews about other teams and their running games are not that impressive either. I guess many teams are just being cautious.
    Case in point. Edgerrin James has 1 yard on seven carries. Today he had -2 yards in three attempts.
    I am not comparing CT to Edg but just putting things in perspective. Could it be we are a bit impatient or too hard on CT?
    What I like best about CT up till now is his ability to hold on the ball. He is yet to fumble the ball something our backs were used to. I hope he gets better with the run

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

youve gotta remember that there is just no way on earth we can rely on the pass to win games for us..the offensive sets just dont include those explosive plays, nor do we have the explosive players in our passing game to 'rely' on our passing game..the point of our offense now is to use the pass to complement what will turn out to be a great running game through more game experience
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

I honestly believe Taylor can get some tough yards, but the O-line needs to step up their ability to make holes more than anything. I'm sure he can run, he would have been cut by another team long before if he couldn't. Also, The o-line can block and give BJ time, but not open holes well. Maybe this is part of the transition part we'll have to deal with....
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Pre-season is like a practice...except they televise it, and another team plays you.
    It is the time to look at the fundamentals of players, to establish timing, rapport, and forge team unity.
    It is the time to temper the steel.

If a player isn't setting the league on it's ear in pre-season...WHO CARES?!?!?!?

We're 2-1 in pre-season games...and in 2 weeks, NO ONE WILL CARE!!!!

I'm not overly impressed with Chester Taylor yet, and for me, a lot of questions remain to be answered...but then, I didn't expect to answer them in pre-season.
    It appears, however, that others DID.

Take my advice, CCthebest.
    Relax.
    Let's get a few regular season games under our belt before we eliminate ourselves from play-off contention, cede the Division to the Bears, and start scouting college players for our 1st round pick.

Caine

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Mon, Aug. 28, 2006

[size=13pt]Childress: O-line at fault for running woes[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings' running game turned in another so-so performance Friday night in an otherwise-dominating 30-7 exhibition victory over Baltimore, but don't blame lead running back Chester Taylor.

Coach Brad Childress didn't Sunday, pointing the finger instead in the general direction of his offensive line.

"It's still a work in progress," he said of the running game. "I would say this: Chester made some pretty good 1- and 2-yard runs because we weren't always covering people up in there. Some of it you give to the defense, and some of it you put on us. We need to probably do a better job of covering people up on the inside, but it wasn't for lack of … running hard. A lot of those 1- and 2-yard runs were to get it back where he got it to."

Taylor carried 10 times for 27 yards against the Ravens, leaving him with three-game exhibition totals of 81 yards on 29 carries (2.8-yard average) with a long of 17 and no touchdowns.

As a team, the Vikings have rushed for 289 yards and one touchdown and are averaging 3.4 yards a carry. Childress indicated the execution hasn't been what it should be.

"It always comes down to execution: your stuff against their stuff," he said. "A lot of times you don't spend (practice) time looking at different looks, and there were a myriad of different looks. That was a blitzing defense. I thought the protection was excellent. You get some of the uneven execution we had the other night."

Injury report: Defensive tackle Pat Williams didn't participate in Sunday's practice because of a swollen calf that Childress said he played through last week.

"A big man on those legs, he's got swelling," Childress said. "He may miss a day or so."

Cornerback Fred Smoot was held out to receive treatment for a rib contusion, but Childress indicated he isn't thinking of resting Smoot for Thursday's exhibition finale at Dallas.

"You're looking for guys that want to tap in and want to be part of it," Childress said. "I understand the goal is to get to Washington and the regular season, but I think the culture that's happening there on that side of the ball is guys want to show up and be there for their teammates. Again, if he's hurt, he's hurt and he won't play. But if he can play and give us some snaps, then there's a point where he's going to have to play through it during the year, as well, I'm sure."

If Smoot can't go Thursday, Dovonte Edwards would start at right cornerback.

Add injuries: Running back Mewelde Moore still isn't practicing after missing the past two games because of a left knee injury, but Childress said he might play Thursday.

"Mewelde's going to come out here, I think tomorrow, and push it around," Childress said. "He's feeling good, but when you load him up with the pack. … He's been out here working in shorts, and drills they do aren't exactly playing football. Yeah, I'd like to get him ready for Dallas, but once again if I don't feel like he's ready to go and be able to protect himself, we're not going to push him over the top."

Tests on running back Ciatrick Fason's injured left shoulder showed only a bruise, and he was able to practice.

Cornerback Charles Gordon returned to practice for the first time since injuring his left knee early in training camp.

Wide receiver Kevin Kasper (ankle) still isn't practicing.

Personnel business: With the roster at 75, the Vikings don't have to make any more cuts before Tuesday's NFL deadline, but Childress wouldn't rule it out.

"I don't anticipate making any," he said. "However, if somebody was to come available. … People have to make the rest of their roster trimdowns on Tuesday, and we're always looking at those people that are being cut."

The final cutdown to 53 players is Saturday.

Briefly: Wide receiver Josh Davis didn't practice for undisclosed reasons.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Mon, Aug. 28, 2006

[size=13pt]Childress: O-line at fault for running woes[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

"It's still a work in progress," he said of the running game. "I would say this: Chester made some pretty good 1- and 2-yard runs because we weren't always covering people up in there. Some of it you give to the defense, and some of it you put on us. We need to probably do a better job of covering people up on the inside, but it wasn't for lack of … running hard. A lot of those 1- and 2-yard runs were to get it back where he got it to."

Thats much of the same I said in an earlier post, Taylor is fine, it's the O line that needs to do a better job of jelling together with the run blocking, but I have a feeling Childress is holding back some suprises for the Skins, and any others who doubt us.

When there was a hole, Taylor has had some fine runs, a 17 yarder and don't forget that 31 yard scamper that was called back because of the very iffy T.Williamson hold.....He was shacking and moving on that run, thats what I'm expecting more of from Taylor when the O line gets their groove on... ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast