Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    *IBP can be seen taking the "off the deep end" crown away from Marty and giving it to Kevon*

Your claim that we didn't address WR enough, and that we need to draft better WR's, but at the same time, drafting WR's isn't enough because they are question marks is enough to invalidate whatever it is you're trying to say.

Fact is, on paper, we have one of the better drafts. You don't like it because of YOUR pre-draft grades. Problem is, you're not a scout, and your ability to judge talent is no better than anybody else here, never mind a professional scouting department.

We have 3 of the top prospects at their positions, all at positions of need. All while also taking BPA. Doesn't get much better than that. We are limited in cap space, so either we sign some 2-3 round players, or sign another 1st. As seen in previous drafts, we're pretty good with first round picks, not so much with later rounds.

I'll take 3 picks in the first, and nothing until 4 9 times out of 10
    +1

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I think (and have said so in another thread) that I think Ole Ricky Boy and company got caught with their shorts down in this draft.

Doesn't mean I don't like the class because I do. I think it is a damn good looking group based on how the draft fell. I just think they really showed a flaw in their preparation for something like that happening.
    Not sure I understand where you are going with that Marr? I am sure they did not think all those guys were going to be there for them at our slots. Floyd and Rhodes fell to us and Rick made the picks. Then he had his guys working the phones while he went to address the media, obviously thinking a trade wasn't going to happen, or he wouldn't have left. When informed a trade was possible he came back in and pulled the trigger. There doesn't seem to be anything that leads me to believe they were not in control of the situation. Do I think we could have had a very good receiver by trading up in the second and cost us less? Yeah, I do, but Rick must have thought that Patterson was a far better fit for us than any of the others. He spends more time on this than I do, so I will respect his decision on that. Unless Patterson turns into a bust, then I will rip the pick.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    *IBP can be seen taking the "off the deep end" crown away from Marty and giving it to Kevon*

Your claim that we didn't address WR enough, and that we need to draft better WR's, but at the same time, drafting WR's isn't enough because they are question marks is enough to invalidate whatever it is you're trying to say.

Fact is, on paper, we have one of the better drafts. You don't like it because of YOUR pre-draft grades. Problem is, you're not a scout, and your ability to judge talent is no better than anybody else here, never mind a professional scouting department.

We have 3 of the top prospects at their positions, all at positions of need. All while also taking BPA. Doesn't get much better than that. We are limited in cap space, so either we sign some 2-3 round players, or sign another 1st. As seen in previous drafts, we're pretty good with first round picks, not so much with later rounds.

I'll take 3 picks in the first, and nothing until 4 9 times out of 10
    Again you miss the fact that I said I liked the picks. Never said I hated them.
    What I did not like was the cost involve to trade up to get Patterson. I like a lot of hacks said it was too much. In drafts like this the trade chart goes out the window because your 3rd round pick is actually worth more than it normally would be. i.e Chargers selecting Keenan Allen in the 3rd. All I said was that Floyd was not my highest rated DT and he "falling" to us proves that my opinion was closer to that than many of the scouts you pointed out that knows more than me.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I think (and have said so in another thread) that I think Ole Ricky Boy and company got caught with their shorts down in this draft.

I believe they didn't think both of their top ranked DT and CB would slip to them at 23 and 25. I am 100% convinced they were ready to go Teo and Patterson and get a DT in the second and a CB in the third. Filling in depth at WR and OL with the rest of their late picks.
    I am not sure how that qualifies as getting caught with your shorts down. I am sure they didn't know that those two would still be on the board but once they were they had 2 options- Take whoever they may have thought would be on the board( I will use your example of Teo and Patterson) or follow their board and take the BPA ( who I assume were not Patterson and Teo).

In the end they took Rhodes and Floyd and once they did that they went right back and went after Patterson and my take is that they did not have Teo rated higher than Patterson or they would have taken him instead.

Tha was the best I have seen the FO operate in as long as I can remember. Calculating, aggressive and decisive. Can't ask for more than that.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post

I believe they didn't think both of their top ranked DT and CB would slip to them at 23 and 25. I am 100% convinced they were ready to go Teo and Patterson and get a DT in the second and a CB in the third. Filling in depth at WR and OL with the rest of their late picks.
    I am not sure how that qualifies as getting caught with your shorts down. I am sure they didn't know that those two would still be on the board but once they were they had 2 options- Take whoever they may have thought would be on the board( I will use your example of Teo and Patterson) or follow their board and take the BPA ( who I assume were not Patterson and Teo).

In the end they took Rhodes and Floyd and once they did that they went right back and went after Patterson and my take is that they did not have Teo rated higher than Patterson or they would have taken him instead.

Tha was the best I have seen the FO operate in as long as I can remember. Calculating, aggressive and decisive. Can't ask for more than that.
    Looks to me like they were being true to their board and found a way to get 3 need positions filled with BPA. Just have to hope their talent evaluators did their job.

Blog Entries
    yep

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Now that the draft is complete.. it was average

Totally agree.

To me, BPA for Floyd and Rhodes... And then, go get the 2nd best playmaker in the Draft.

I think the coaches' input perhaps had something to do with the non selection of Te'O...meaning, perhaps they actually talked to Ricky and told him they think EH can play Mike.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Everyone keeps talking about the first 3 picks.
    Great picks... trade kinda pricey...what about the rest of the draft.

In the 4th.. I would have rathered.
    Jesse WIlliams
    Quinton Patton.
    Kenny Stills
    AJ Klien

I just feel like rounds 4 - 7 was a clusterfuck.
    We left lost of talent out there to draft meh.

Blog Entries
    I like our later round picks too. We needed depth at LB and got it. We needed depth at punter and got it. The FO has their finger on the pulse of what they need, who is under contract, and what they can afford. I think from what I do know that they did a pretty good job of doing what they could with what they had.

Just ignore the list of guys better than who they drafted.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast