Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Now that the draft is complete.. it was average

I would say Wright is as proven as Griffen and Simpson is as proven too. Not sure what Evans and Guion have proven to you but I haven't seen them perform at any higher level of play either.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I find it interesting that this is supposedly a passing league yet The Packers let their best one go and followed that up by taking 2 RBs in the draft.

This is an ever changing league and as soon as you buy into a trend and commit to it you will find you are behind the curve.

We will be fine at WR unless there are unforeseen injuries and if you want to play that card we don't have any positions that wouldn't be impacted if we had injuries.
    Can't find a spreadsheet to bump you up on old friend as your already at the top of most. You'll just have to settle with the "Top shelf, Top shelf indeed" response out of me.

As an fyi......RB's drafted = 26, WRs drafted = 28. Several OLmen that were drafted high, and I mean real high, were best suited at run blocking and considered very weak at pass protection.......Just saying.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    DT, DE, RB, S

We have nothing at the wr position past our starting 3.
    And yet we went 10-6 (and beat the PUKERS) last year with less. Hmmmmmmmmmm. (Marrdro can be seen scratching his slightly balding head).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    With respect to WRs, I don't care about quantity, but I care about quality. We might dress 5 Wrs but our 5 dressed aren't even certain. Per latest reports, Childs is not in a position to play this season. That leaves Greg, Patterson, Wright, Simpson.

I believed we needed to target 2 WRs in this draft. We don't know what we have in 3 of our WRs. Wright, Simpson and Childs. That leaves Jennings (who has a recent history of missing a few games a year) and Patterson ( who will need to be coached up at this level). Recipe for disaster. I think I am actually starting to miss Michael Jenkins.

In this pass first league, the kid is a damn good RT. His footwork is too slow to play LT but it is just fine for RT. Again, in 2- 3 years, he will be the best RT in the league. I am that high on the kid. I won't say they reached.
    I think (and have said so in another thread) that I think Ole Ricky Boy and company got caught with their shorts down in this draft.

I believe they didn't think both of their top ranked DT and CB would slip to them at 23 and 25. I am 100% convinced they were ready to go Teo and Patterson and get a DT in the second and a CB in the third. Filling in depth at WR and OL with the rest of their late picks.

Doesn't mean I don't like the class because I do. I think it is a damn good looking group based on how the draft fell. I just think they really showed a flaw in their preparation for something like that happening.

In the end our team is better at WR, DT, and CB and have added some very nice talent to work with at OL and LB.

Now if you want a organization to rebuild a complete team in one year/draft, then I could see were you'd be disappointed, but if you look at this from the big picture, I think they are building a very solid team. A few wholes remain, thats for sure, but a lot less than when they started if the plan comes together.

If it doesn't, it seems like we are starting to get some nice stuff behind our starters that the coaches can work with.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    *IBP can be seen taking the "off the deep end" crown away from Marty and giving it to Kevon*

Your claim that we didn't address WR enough, and that we need to draft better WR's, but at the same time, drafting WR's isn't enough because they are question marks is enough to invalidate whatever it is you're trying to say.

Fact is, on paper, we have one of the better drafts. You don't like it because of YOUR pre-draft grades. Problem is, you're not a scout, and your ability to judge talent is no better than anybody else here, never mind a professional scouting department.

We have 3 of the top prospects at their positions, all at positions of need. All while also taking BPA. Doesn't get much better than that. We are limited in cap space, so either we sign some 2-3 round players, or sign another 1st. As seen in previous drafts, we're pretty good with first round picks, not so much with later rounds.

I'll take 3 picks in the first, and nothing until 4 9 times out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    *IBP can be seen taking the "off the deep end" crown away from Marty and giving it to Kevon*

Your claim that we didn't address WR enough, and that we need to draft better WR's, but at the same time, drafting WR's isn't enough because they are question marks is enough to invalidate whatever it is you're trying to say.

Fact is, on paper, we have one of the better drafts. You don't like it because of YOUR pre-draft grades. Problem is, you're not a scout, and your ability to judge talent is no better than anybody else here, never mind a professional scouting department.

We have 3 of the top prospects at their positions, all at positions of need. All while also taking BPA. Doesn't get much better than that. We are limited in cap space, so either we sign some 2-3 round players, or sign another 1st. As seen in previous drafts, we're pretty good with first round picks, not so much with later rounds.

I'll take 3 picks in the first, and nothing until 4 9 times out of 10
    You crack me up.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You crack me up.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I've been reading a lot of articles that say Patterson had a habit of catching balls with his body as opposed to his hands... that sounds eerily like Troy Williamson.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I've been reading a lot of articles that say Patterson had a habit of catching balls with his body as opposed to his hands... that sounds eerily like Troy Williamson.
    There are just as many scouting reports that call him a "natural hands catcher" with lots of videos out there to back it up.

One guy explained it this way, which made alot of sense to me.......When he runs a clean route, he catches the ball in his hands, when he runs a bad route, the ball will get into his body some as he and the QB weren't on the same page when it came to were the ball was gonna be.

The guy actually used some clips of Plex when he and Eli were first getting synched. Plex's ability to catch it in front, up high, down low and even in his body were one of the things that made the two click.

Eventually the timing between the two got there. I think he is right in that as Ponder and Patterson work together the body catches (as well as the low, high, behind etc) will start to go away more and more.

He is a natural hands-catcher, but will have some concentration lapses and drop some easy ones, running before securing the reception.
    Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast