Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    I have two thoughts about this draft...

1. I thought we had a great draft...Why? We filled a lot of our needs with quality guys that dropped into our laps. Great value.

2. It doesn't matter what the hell I think or anyone else. Drafting talent can be compared to the stock market. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You can't grade or judge a draft on what we think before these players play. If someone gets hurt in training camp or has legal trouble or doesn't pan out, then our draft may not look so good. If these guys are All Pro and Vikings for many years, become starters and lead us to a Super Bowl, then it's a great draft.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I would say our ability to find quality players ( not just viking starters) is well developed. Again I am not against the trade up into the first round but what we gave up in this draft was possibly 2 quality players. I only mentioned the Chargers did as good as us with their 3 picks by sitting put.
    You notice I stayed away from the whole Chargers thing? Or at least I think I did

Those that said the Fluker was a reach... you're dreaming. The kid might enter the league as the best RT in the business (atleast at run blocking) Again, Floyd was moved up after the combine and everyone is eatting it. The kid was never gonna be drafted that high and just because Maylock and Co said so doesn't make him a top 5 pick. The kid was the 3rd or 4th best DT period.
    In any other draft, when the skilled positions were better, Fluker wouldn't have been drafted as high as he was, let alone in the first round mostly because of his pass protection issues.

In the end, the perception this is a "pass first league" and if that is true, why would you burn a high pick on a cat that struggles in that area.

Lets not even talk about the fact we did not even bring in a guy to groom at QB. Your job as a GM is not to build the self esteem of your QB but rather to build your team. What do we ahve at QB? 11 picks and we don't draft a QB? Even a late round guy?
    You already have a starter, established backup, and MBT as your developmental guy. No need to burn a draft pick, but you are correct in that the QB position is something that should be addressed each and every year. Doesn't mean you have to draft someone though....

James Vandenberg, QB, Iowa seems to be a interesting prospect. I heard Gil Brandt talk about him. Alot of his issues (that appear to make him slip) were related to the offensive scheme shift.

James Vandenberg, QB, Iowa, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    James Vandenberg Draft Profile

We draft 1 wr!!! 1 Freaking WR. Arguably the worst WR corps in the league but we draft 1 WR. So we have Jennings, Wright, Childs (coming off career ending injury) Patterson and Simpson. What happens if 1 of those guys go down? We are right back where we started.
    We will carry 5 WR's. We are set with 3 starters, draft another kid who can eventually play at least 2 of those 3 positions. Mix in that we are run heavy team runs alot of 22 and 23 sets. Doesn't put alot of "Need" on the WR position at least from a "Draft Pick" standpoint.

I think that what we have in camp, mixed with 4 undrafted cats (lets not forget how deep the rookie WR pool was this year) should be enough competition to find that last WR.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You notice I stayed away from the whole Chargers thing? Or at least I think I did

In any other draft, when the skilled positions were better, Fluker wouldn't have been drafted as high as he was, let alone in the first round mostly because of his pass protection issues.

In the end, the perception this is a "pass first league" and if that is true, why would you burn a high pick on a cat that struggles in that area.

You already have a starter, established backup, and MBT as your developmental guy. No need to burn a draft pick, but you are correct in that the QB position is something that should be addressed each and every year. Doesn't mean you have to draft someone though....

James Vandenberg, QB, Iowa seems to be a interesting prospect. I heard Gil Brandt talk about him. Alot of his issues (that appear to make him slip) were related to the offensive scheme shift.

James Vandenberg, QB, Iowa, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
    James Vandenberg Draft Profile

We will carry 5 WR's. We are set with 3 starters, draft another kid who can eventually play at least 2 of those 3 positions. Mix in that we are run heavy team runs alot of 22 and 23 sets. Doesn't put alot of "Need" on the WR position at least from a "Draft Pick" standpoint.

I think that what we have in camp, mixed with 4 undrafted cats (lets not forget how deep the rookie WR pool was this year) should be enough competition to find that last WR.
    With respect to WRs, I don't care about quantity, but I care about quality. We might dress 5 Wrs but our 5 dressed aren't even certain. Per latest reports, Childs is not in a position to play this season. That leaves Greg, Patterson, Wright, Simpson.

I believed we needed to target 2 WRs in this draft. We don't know what we have in 3 of our WRs. Wright, Simpson and Childs. That leaves Jennings (who has a recent history of missing a few games a year) and Patterson ( who will need to be coached up at this level). Recipe for disaster. I think I am actually starting to miss Michael Jenkins.

In this pass first league, the kid is a damn good RT. His footwork is too slow to play LT but it is just fine for RT. Again, in 2- 3 years, he will be the best RT in the league. I am that high on the kid. I won't say they reached.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    With respect to WRs, I don't care about quantity, but I care about quality. We might dress 5 Wrs but our 5 dressed aren't even certain. Per latest reports, Childs is not in a position to play this season. That leaves Greg, Patterson, Wright, Simpson.

I believed we needed to target 2 WRs in this draft. We don't know what we have in 3 of our WRs. Wright, Simpson and Childs. That leaves Jennings (who has a recent history of missing a few games a year) and Patterson ( who will need to be coached up at this level). Recipe for disaster. I think I am actually starting to miss Michael Jenkins.
    We need good route runners who have soft hands. It is all about catches, and the Vikings have had poor route runners and bad hands guys lately. They can do better; they must do better.

Flair Hay is offline Rookie
    Wide reciever is certainly underwhelming for this year, but its not the be all end all either. As much as it is a passing league we are still going to be playing the majority of our snaps in 2 WR sets. Jennings will be out there every play if he's healthy. After that given talent/experience Simpson, Wright and Patterson are pretty interchangeable. We'll have some plays in 3-4 WR sets, but not much. I think it's an issue, but not a crippling weakness either.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Now that the draft is complete.. it was average

I find it interesting that this is supposedly a passing league yet The Packers let their best one go and followed that up by taking 2 RBs in the draft.

This is an ever changing league and as soon as you buy into a trend and commit to it you will find you are behind the curve.

We will be fine at WR unless there are unforeseen injuries and if you want to play that card we don't have any positions that wouldn't be impacted if we had injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I find it interesting that this is supposedly a passing league yet The Packers let their best one go and followed that up by taking 2 RBs in the draft.

This is an ever changing league and as soon as you buy into a trend and commit to it you will find you are behind the curve.

We will be fine at WR unless there are unforeseen injuries and if you want to play that card we don't have any positions that wouldn't be impacted if we had injuries.
    DT, DE, RB, S

We have nothing at the wr position past our starting 3.

JPPT1974 is offline Starter
    Guess that the Vikings can look forward in 2014 to get a WR that is worthy!
    NFL 2013 is Here!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    DT, DE, RB, S

We have nothing at the wr position past our starting 3.
    So you are saying that we are deeper than 3 quality players at those positions?

You have really gone off the deep end. No way we have more quality depth at any of the positions you named than at WR.

With Jennings, Patterson, Wright and Simpson we have equal depth to Allen, Robison, Griffen and whatever player gets the 4 spot. That is deeper than we have at Safety and does not take a back seat to DT. It is more depth than we have at RB and you are seeming to have amnesia to the fact that with the multi TE and TE/FB combos that we run, we don't need as many WR's as teams that run a spread offense. And we are not going to be a spread team. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    So you are saying that we are deeper than 3 quality players at those positions?

You have really gone off the deep end. No way we have more quality depth at any of the positions you named than at WR.

With Jennings, Patterson, Wright and Simpson we have equal depth to Allen, Robison, Griffen and whatever player gets the 4 spot. That is deeper than we have at Safety and does not take a back seat to DT. It is more depth than we have at RB and you are seeming to have amnesia to the fact that with the multi TE and TE/FB combos that we run, we don't need as many WR's as teams that run a spread offense. And we are not going to be a spread team. Period.
    Top 3 Wrs
    Greg, Simpson (question ?), Patterson (huge ? mark)

DE
    Allen, Griffen, Robinson

DT
    William, Evans, Guion,

The bottom line is... we don't have 2 proven WRs. Not 2. Greg and that's it. Everyone else is a question mark.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast