Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yeah, well in 1998 we were throwing the ball like no other team in the history of the NFL tyo that point and we didn't put a trophy in the case. And we also had Robert Smith and could certainly run the ball with him. But we also had no secondary and a defense that was a shell of itself compared to what it was when Denny Green took over. A few years later Culpepper threw for 4700 yards and 39 TD's and we didn't put a trophy in the case.

If you are going to sit there and focus on the WR position and piss and moan about it without recognizing they are making the whole roster more balanced than it has been since the early 90's then knock yourself out. But the fact of the matter is we have enough talent at the wr position to get the job done, especially with the talent we have at TE and RB to balance it out. And isn't that what you want? Balance? We have a really good FA that we brought in, a second year guy we are developing, a deep threat that had injury problems last year that is healthy this year and a first round field stretcher. Then we have an up and coming TE, a pro bowl FB and a future HOF RB.

That is plenty of firepower to get the job done and the fact that we are upgrading talent on defense at the same time is only going to help things.
    We do not have enough firepower to get the job done.
    We were 31st in passing. 31st. While a team like Atlanta just signed a HOF running back to add to their dynamic duo. Why is that? Could they have realized that not only are they gonna run the ball but they need to pass it as well? We simply do not have the players to do both. It's been proven. You can't just "get by" on bad players. The year we went to the NFCCG in 09, we had two damn good WRs, a top 10 TE, our RB and key players. Our QB play is bottoms of the league...so you accentuate that by giving him WRs to throw to even though we perfer to run. If Jennings was to go down...holy hell... we're not passing a damn thing. Did you forget how pathetic our passing game was last year when all we had was 1 WR (who got hurt). Well we are in the same freaking place. The fact remain.... taking a freaking Punter over stability at the WR position is fucking stupid. There is a reason teams like the Saints (who have a running game) retool at WR ever year. That's because you can let players go and replace their productivity.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    We do not have enough firepower to get the job done.
    Yes, yes we do.

We were 31st in passing. 31st.
    Yeah, and we were 3-13 the year before and 10-6 last year. Shit happens, things change. We won't be 31st this year. Relax.

While a team like Atlanta just signed a HOF running back to add to their dynamic duo.
    We already got one.

Why is that? Could they have realized that not only are they gonna run the ball but they need to pass it as well?
    Could be. I don't follow them too close and don't have the time to look up what they are doing. Last time I did look though they have a WR that they gave up nearly a whole draft to get and a QB they drafted in the top 3 and their trophy case looks a lot like ours. I suspect that isn't going to change this year.

We simply do not have the players to do both. It's been proven.
    To both pass and run? Seriously? I think you underestimate the talent we have on offense. The only thing that will hinder the passing game is if Ponder goes backwards and in that case we have Cassell and after that can get Johnny Football next year.

You can't just "get by" on bad players.

I can't believe you are going here but OK.

The year we went to the NFCCG in 09, we had two damn good WRs,
    I imagine you are talking about Harvin and Rice. Jennings is far better than Rice ever will be and Wright will have numbers that will be similar to what Harvin put up that year. We also have Simpson who, if healthy will be as good as Rice and we also have a rookie that could very well be better than any of them.

a top 10 TE

Rudolph is so far better than Shank ever was that I find it hard to even comprehend that you would even try to float this one by and not understand you would get called on it. If you honestly think we downgraded when we went from Shank to Rudy then it explains a lot.

our RB and key players.
    Well, you certainly didn't elaborate on that very much. That was the year AP had fumble problems. He has that behind him. We had TAHI and now we have Felton. Our OL was not good at all and ended up ending Brett's career. To fix that we drafted Kalil last year, improved the interior of the line and continue to add talent to what was the weakest unit on the team that year.We also have Gerhart backing up AP which gives us more RB depth than we had then.

Our QB play is bottoms of the league
    Bingo- something we both agree on. If Ponder was better the WR's would have looked much better. in 2009 Brett elevated the p;ay of the whole team and made the offense we had then look better they they were individually and if we would have been able to put him behind the talent we have on the roster this year we would have had a trophy in the case.

...so you accentuate that by giving him WRs to throw to even though we perfer to run.
    If he is not going to develop then we can't put enough talent at the WR position to fix it.

If Jennings was to go down...holy hell... we're not passing a damn thing

And if AP goes down we are not running for 2000 yards. If Rudy goes down we aren't running many 2 TE sets yada yada yada. Randy Moss went down and Culpepper threw for 4700 and 39 TD's led by Nate Burleson........

Did you forget how pathetic our passing game was last year when all we had was 1 WR (who got hurt).
    What I know id we had a QB who was playing badly and that the team still went from 3-13 to 1006 and made the playoffs. This year the team has more talent and will be better. This I know.

Well we are in the same freaking place.
    No we aren't. We got rid of an old CB and replaced him with possibly the best CB in the draft.
    We got one of the best DT's in the draft
    We got one of the best WR's in the draft
    We got one of the best FA WR's in the draft.
    We drafted more OL depth
    We drafted depth at LB

This team is getting better, there is more depth and more balance of talent on the roster than we have has in decades and they will be much improved over last year.

The fact remain....
    s- we will be a more complete team.

taking a freaking Punter over stability at the WR position is fucking stupid.
    Why? If they are as fucking incompetent on offense as you say they are then the punter may be the most valuable player on the whole team. What better reason to upgrade. Hell, as bad as the talent is at WR I am beginning to think Spielman plans on punting on first down to avoid going backwards on every drive which is so completely batshit crazy it might just work.

There is a reason teams like the Saints (who have a running game) retool at WR ever year. That's because you can let players go and replace their productivity.
    Holy shit batman, what a novel idea. In light of that I wish they would have traded Harvin and retooled by drafting Patterson in the first. - Oh crap. nevermind........Now all we need is Drew Brees.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Don't forget that Webb is going to be a receiver this year as well.
    Good point RK. I'm just not sure what that cat brings to the table as I've never studied him as a WR.

Initially when they drafted him I did, but then he moved back to QB right away. I'd almost like to see them have him add 10 to 15 lbs and plug in as a H-back.

Could you imagine what defenses would do when they say AD lined up behind him in an "I" formation?

The options that could come out of that would be fun to draw up as well.
    Studied? Lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Don't forget that Webb is going to be a receiver this year as well.
    Good point RK. I'm just not sure what that cat brings to the table as I've never studied him as a WR.

Initially when they drafted him I did, but then he moved back to QB right away. I'd almost like to see them have him add 10 to 15 lbs and plug in as a H-back.

Could you imagine what defenses would do when they say AD lined up behind him in an "I" formation?

The options that could come out of that would be fun to draw up as well.
    Studied? Lol
    Translation- he never watched any YouTube videos of him catching the ball through his beer goggles loll

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    I'm not a huge Patterson fan, but the bottom line is, in just about every mock draft, none of our top three picks were expected to fall into the 20's. We drafted based on need but they all happened to be the BPA as well. We could have easily ended up like the Chargers, having to reach for some guy to fill a hole, which rarely works out well.
    When you have so many voids to fill or have room for improvement at virtually all positions, just about anyone that fell to us at #23 would have been a position of need.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    I don't think we would have had a need at the following positions:

Kicker
    RB
    TE
    RDE
    LDE
    FB
    2 WR spots (Jennings and Wright)
    Center
    LG
    RG
    RT
    LT
    1 Safety
    1OLB
    1 DT
    1 CB

So I don't thing the comment was that accurate and I don't think that the roster is as drained of talent as some apparently do. But filling 3 of them in the first round is a heck of a good start and should help solidify the roster.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I don't think we would have had a need at the following positions:

Kicker
    RB
    TE
    RDE
    LDE
    FB
    2 WR spots (Jennings and Wright)
    Center
    LG
    RG
    RT
    LT
    1 Safety
    1OLB
    1 DT
    1 CB

So I don't thing the comment was that accurate and I don't think that the roster is as drained of talent as some apparently do. But filling 3 of them in the first round is a heck of a good start and should help solidify the roster.
    Not a fan of Carlson's or Loadholt's. My list where they could have made improvements added quality depth at a lot of those positions.

The list IMO, where they didn't need to add starters or better depth.

Kicker
    RB
    RDE
    FB
    Center
    LG
    FS

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Not a fan of Carlson's or Loadholt's. My list where they could have made improvements added quality depth at a lot of those positions.

The list IMO, where they didn't need to add starters or better depth.

Kicker
    RB
    RDE
    FB
    Center
    LG
    FS
    Loadholt was a big part of why AP got his yards. I see by your list that we really didn't add anyone at a spot where you think we are deep enough so by that they did a good job.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Jennings, Wright & Patterson make the roster no question, right? Simpson is probably the vet most likely to get bumped, but if he is healthy, he does know the system and doesn't have a suspension to start this season, so it'll be pretty hard for one of our projects to beat him out. That leaves one spot up for grabs with Childs, Summers, Brown, Burton, Carter, Smith, Highsmith & Edwards competing for it! That is 8 guys trying to get 1 spot!

And, WR is a position where there is a history of finding UDFA/late-late pick gems like a Cruz, Colston, Welker or Chrebet, but you have to give them a chance to find them. And for these type of guys, you had better be working your butt off, a good blocker and special teamer, and have some decent size/speed/leap ability, because thats what its going to take to make this team. Spending another 5-7 round pick on a WR who might not have made the team seems a bigger waste than improving our punter while also backing up our kicker, doesn't it!???
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Studied? Lol
    LOL, I hear ya but I do. Can't help it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast