Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Now that the draft is complete.. it was average

I know everyone is rolling their eyes to this but I must say now that we have completed the draft. I think we made a lot of noise but we did not accomplish a whole lot when you look at what other teams did. We had a slightly average draft...

Best draft has to go to the Chargers.
    Flucker, Te'o and Allen is as good a draft as to Floyd, Patterson, Rhodes and we had 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to work with. They only had 3. All of those players were considered by many in the top 3 of their positions. Lets just say the other players selected after that leave a lot to be desired. I know everyone envisions our 4th and 6th round Lb as Hall of Famers already but more realistically, they will be average Lbs.

All in all... i liked the move to trade up but we overpaid and it derailed our draft. Being able to keep two 4th would have been huge. Missing out on adding two WRs ( troubled) that are legitimate weapons to the crew is inexcusable. Simpson, Wright and Childs are not the answer to our issues.

Grade C+

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Now that the draft is complete.. it was average

I would take the three we drafted over the three the Chargers drafted all day long. So that bring said I think we had a better draft.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I know everyone is rolling their eyes to this but I must say now that we have completed the draft. I think we made a lot of noise but we did not accomplish a whole lot when you look at what other teams did. We had a slightly average draft...

Best draft has to go to the Chargers.
    Flucker, Te'o and Allen is as good a draft as to Floyd, Patterson, Rhodes and we had 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to work with. They only had 3. All of those players were considered by many in the top 3 of their positions. Lets just say the other players selected after that leave a lot to be desired. I know everyone envisions our 4th and 6th round Lb as Hall of Famers already but more realistically, they will be average Lbs.

All in all... i liked the move to trade up but we overpaid and it derailed our draft. Being able to keep two 4th would have been huge. Missing out on adding two WRs ( troubled) that are legitimate weapons to the crew is inexcusable. Simpson, Wright and Childs are not the answer to our issues.

Grade C+
    What have you been smoking????

Like Purple Floyd said, I would take our draft over the Chargers any day. First and furthermost, the Chargers REACHED with their first pick for D.J. Fluker because of the heavy run on offensive linemen. The Chargers didn't really want the 6th ranked o-lineman sitting at number 11. He is not nearly as good as the top offensive tackles in this draft. Most don't even think he can play left tackle in the NFL.

... Then you have the Vikings who picked 12 picks later and STILL got a player who was rated higher then Fluker on everyone's board. Not to mention, unlike Fluker, he was the highest ranked player at his position.

Moving along, the Chargers got Te'o who I think is a good fit there and is a good value pick too. The Vikings also got a good value pick in CB Xavier Rhodes as his stock rose towards the draft. He was expected to go much higher than 25. Like Te'o, Rhodes is considered among the best at his position in the draft, if not the best. Unlike Te'o, Rhodes has more upside.

As for the wide receiver each of the teams drafted, I think Keenan Allen could be the steal of the third round if his leg is completely healed, but that's a big if. His slow healing process is worrisome and he might never be the same player. The Vikings medical staff is one of NFL's finest and my theory is that if they felt Allen's medical issue was not a problem they wouldn't have traded up into the first round for Patterson. They feel comfortable on a guy who has had three ACL injuries, that should tel you something about Allen.

Even so... if I had to choose between Keenan Allen and Cordarrelle Patterson, I would pick Patterson 10 out of 10 times. Even before Allen's injury, Patterson makes Allen look like a lineman running out there. They are on so different levels athletically speaking. Don't forget we got a top 10 talent in the end of round 1 in Patterson. He's the most impressive physical "freak" since Julio Jones.

People are so stuck on the trade with Patriot, but the Vikings' draft essentially looks like this:

1. pick - DT projected in the top 5, round 1
    2. pick - CB projected in the top 20, round 1
    3. pick - WR projected in the top 20, round 1
    4. pick - LB projected in round 3
    5. pick - Jeff Locke, top punter
    6. pick - OL projected in round 4
    7. pick - LB with great second round talent
    8. pick - OL with great potential
    9. pick - DT projected in round 5

Three players who's all considered steals in the first round, plus players who are considered 2nd and 3rd round levels that eliminate the whole "we missed out on round 2 and round 3"-argument. Strictly looking at Vikings' draft selections, I don't see how this is one of the best drafts of 2013. We didn't lose any draft picks next year. We just worked with what we had.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    Hate to say it, but I disagree totaly with your take on the draft. Solid A in my book.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

HEY
    Blog Entries
    People should realize: we got three players in one year that a team normally will use three years to do.

This draft should be rated no less than a B... AT THE MINIMUM!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post

Moving along, the Chargers got Te'o who I think is a good fit there and is a good value pick too.
    The rest I agreed with but there are a couple of issue with Te'o

There are comments out there about Manti being a better fit a will backer in a 4-3 but the Chargers run a 3-4, and while the Charger picked up a DE they have had problems with the depth on their dline and at DT which they didn't address. Which I think when you factor in the transition to the next level for Te'o in a new system with poor dline will make his rookie season a big challenge.
    After we picked up Floyd which strengthen our dline depth I was more at comfortable with the idea of the Vikings possibly drafting Te'o but without that support I didn't really want him picked.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    I'm not a huge Patterson fan, but the bottom line is, in just about every mock draft, none of our top three picks were expected to fall into the 20's. We drafted based on need but they all happened to be the BPA as well. We could have easily ended up like the Chargers, having to reach for some guy to fill a hole, which rarely works out well.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    No offense to anyone, but who cares what the Chargers did? What I care about is how we did against the other teams in the division, and how we stacked up against the conference. Otherwise, BFD!

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    I'm not a huge Patterson fan, but the bottom line is, in just about every mock draft, none of our top three picks were expected to fall into the 20's. We drafted based on need but they all happened to be the BPA as well. We could have easily ended up like the Chargers, having to reach for some guy to fill a hole, which rarely works out well.
    EXACTLY! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Except... I was not a big fan of Patterson in the beginning of the year, but now I'm really excited for him. This reminds me a little of the Adrian Peterson pick in the sense that they both slipped because of doubts that they will produce up to par at the next level (although for different reasons). And they are both talent wise once in a blue moon type of players. Patterson's physical combination can almost compete with Adrian Peterson's.... almost!

One other thing, people act as if Patterson just started playing football. He's been dominating the football field for many years.

HEY
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    The rest I agreed with but there are a couple of issue with Te'o

There are comments out there about Manti being a better fit a will backer in a 4-3 but the Chargers run a 3-4
    Manti Te'o played in the same type of scheme in college so why should a rookie coming right in and not having to learn another position be a negative?

Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast