Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Notes on Final Pre-Season Game (vs. Dallas)

Some notes on tonight's game vs. Dallas:

- Obviously, both teams didn't play their starters after the first drive.

- Special teams obviously needs work. That TD by Dallas on the kick return was ridiculous.

- The Vikings play calling seemed really conservative to me (too much off-tackle left, which didn't allow Adrian Peterson to do anything, because the defense could predict so easily what we were doing).

- Tarvaris looked simply terrible. That first pass was almost picked off for an easy 6 the other way. Terrible decision-making and throw. The throw was way late. Tarvaris looks very inaccurate. He obviously has an NFL arm in terms of strength, but I have yet to see any touch or accuracy on his passes. He seems too inaccurate to play in the NFL. As far as I know, Tarvaris has not thrown a single TD in pre-season this year.

- The defense looked very good. The tackling was superior. Everyone on defense tackles well. Everyone seems to be in position. Guys back each other up. I was very impressed by the defense.

- Great TD catch by Sidney Rice.

- The Vikings look pretty well coached and, outside of the QB situation, which to me is a train wreck, we have a good team.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Re: Notes on Final Pre-Season Game (vs. Dallas)

As always with last game of the preseason I find little redeeming to carry forward to the season....but lets abstract...'

What are your feelings for the record this year?

Did the D show you enough?
    Did SP improve enough?
    So we have the right receiver core?

I like to armchair coach.... FIRE AWAY!

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Right now I would say, 6-10, but with some tweaking, 7-9. I hate to be that negative, but with our QB situation, I don't see us above 7-9. With a better QB, we could be a much better team, because all the other pieces are there. Let's face it, QB and WR needs a lot of time to 'synch up', and I don't see us there yet.

All I can say is, this defense will keep us in a lot of games. I think that there will be games when the defense just scores and makes big plays. I am very optimistic about our defense this year.

The thing I don't understand about Childress and the Vikes is this: the West Coast offense he is trying to install requires an accurate QB, and Tarvaris is anything but accurate. I see a good defense and a well-coached team, but the QB thing really baffles me.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I think we could be seeing a lot of this from Mr. Rice

[img width=450 height=438]http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/18eda356-5fcf-4345-ac87-dbde471ad72d.jpg[/img]

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Great catch!
    The photo doesn't really show how great of a catch that was.
    The ball was thrown behind him.
    He had to go against his momentum and reach back for the ball.

Our defense looks great.
    I believe we can be very successful as long as we keep winning the turnover battle.

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Starters played very limited roles. I didnt see anything to make me believe that us running left was a detriment to our team. Redzone was good which was a weakness last year, few penalties which I like to see from everyone especially the young guys that are usually mistake prone.

All in all a pretty good game for our reserves. Farwell continues his dominance.

I got the impression that there was some Pinner vs. Moore going on to see who would solidify the #3 back.

Hard to judge anything really. QB's depend a lot on rythm. Getting the opportunity to throw 5 or so passes and nothing more means very little. In one series after getting the rythym going Tavaris could make up ground on his completion percentage. We sustain one drive and he starts connecting it would be a moot point.

Can't really comment on the Qb situation until he actually gets to play an entire game to see how he handles the ups and downs of 4 quarters now that he has a whole preseason of practices and games under his belt. To make a prediction would simply be pulling numbers out of my ass at this point all I can say is we should be better then last year.

Fewer penalties, more 3rd down conversions, and more redzone conversions into 6 instead of 3. If we are not then it is a failure.

Also our team had 14 takeaways in 4 preseason games, that is amazing.

And our special teams makes baby jesus cry. Pick your poison 40 yard punts that are returned 12 or so yards or 95 yard kickoff returns. This special teams unit needs to shape up fast.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingivan" wrote:
    Great catch!
    The photo doesn't really show how great of a catch that was.
    The ball was thrown behind him.
    He had to go against his momentum and reach back for the ball.

Our defense looks great.
    I believe we can be very successful as long as we keep winning the turnover battle.
    Great explaination of that catch.
    I was going to do the same when I saw that photo.

Yes, a D that gets turnovers can even make QB over 37 years old look better than they are, it should be easier to make a younger QB like TJ look better than he is too.
    LOL!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I'm guessing our special teams coverage units will be better for the season. Paul Allen spoke this morning about how many of the players playing in special teams during the preseason will not be the same during the regular season. Mike Mayock comfirmed this also during the Vikings TV broadcast.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"Del" wrote:
    Starters played very limited roles. I didnt see anything to make me believe that us running left was a detriment to our team. Redzone was good which was a weakness last year, few penalties which I like to see from everyone especially the young guys that are usually mistake prone.

All in all a pretty good game for our reserves. Farwell continues his dominance.

I got the impression that there was some Pinner vs. Moore going on to see who would solidify the #3 back.

Hard to judge anything really. QB's depend a lot on rythm. Getting the opportunity to throw 5 or so passes and nothing more means very little. In one series after getting the rythym going Tavaris could make up ground on his completion percentage. We sustain one drive and he starts connecting it would be a moot point.

Can't really comment on the Qb situation until he actually gets to play an entire game to see how he handles the ups and downs of 4 quarters now that he has a whole preseason of practices and games under his belt. To make a prediction would simply be pulling numbers out of my ass at this point all I can say is we should be better then last year.

Fewer penalties, more 3rd down conversions, and more redzone conversions into 6 instead of 3. If we are not then it is a failure.

Also our team had 14 takeaways in 4 preseason games, that is amazing.

And our special teams makes baby jesus cry. Pick your poison 40 yard punts that are returned 12 or so yards or 95 yard kickoff returns. This special teams unit needs to shape up fast.

very well said sir

Thanks josdin00

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

TJack had BETTER get more accurate REAL QUICK...or we will be giving up major field position on turnovers...which is NOT GOOD!

He just needs to be as mistake-free as possible...the running game and defense can take care of the rest.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast