Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Notebook: Thursday Tidbits

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Notebook: Thursday Tidbits

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Nothing ground breaking here....... with MW & TJ

- Speaking of missed tackling, Frazier addressed the play of safeties Madieu Williams and Tyrell Johnson through the first eight games.

“They’ve done some good things for us,” Frazier said. “Been a little bit up and down in certain situations. The second half of the season we’re going to need them to consistently play at a high level for us. We’re going to need them to tackle well and do a good job at being in the right place, and then making some plays for us. They’ve done some good things in that fist half, we just have to keep improving in the second half of the season, both in coverage as well as in our tackling. If they can do that, we’ll be a better defense.”

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Another interesting note, glad to see that Reynaud is available. Still not sure about pH returning punts too.
    Reynaud does a fine job, if we can fit him in the 45 man roster.

- Special teams coordinator Brian Murphy said Darius Reynaud’s status is no longer determined by the hamstring injury he suffered a few weeks back. Reynaud is back to full participation in practice. According to Murphy, if Brad Childress feels Reynaud can help offensively, he will be one of the 45 men active on gameday.

That said, Murphy also hinted that Percy Harvin looks comfortable returning punts in practice, which is something he struggled with during training camp. It’s possible the Vikings could use Harvin to return both punts and kicks, along with his usual duties on offense.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

- Speaking of missed tackling, Frazier addressed the play of safeties Madieu Williams and Tyrell Johnson through the first eight games.

“They’ve done some good things for us,” Frazier said. “Been a little bit up and down in certain situations. The second half of the season we’re going to need them to consistently play at a high level for us. We’re going to need them to tackle well and do a good job at being in the right place, and then making some plays for us. They’ve done some good things in that fist half, we just have to keep improving in the second half of the season, both in coverage as well as in our tackling. If they can do that, we’ll be a better defense.”
    I think the bigger point is that they aren't the only ones missing tackles.
    In fact, last time I checked they are something like 3rd or 4th in tackles.

Makes you think that someone up front is missing stuff as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I think the bigger point is that they aren't the only ones missing tackles.
    In fact, last time I checked they are something like 3rd or 4th in tackles.

Makes you think that someone up front is missing stuff as well.
    Who do you think should be leading in tackling?
    On our club 2 linebackers and a corner lead the way (Henderson, Greenway and Griffin) followed by our safeties and Jared.
    If Winfield had played the whole year, he would probably be ahead of Tyrell and Madieu as well.

Look at other Tampa 2 defenses such as the Colts and you will see their safeties have much stronger tackle numbers than our guys.
    Indicator that the rest of their team isn't doing their job? Right now the Colts have the #1 scoring defense.

My point is that I don't think you can look so much at their tackle numbers and say they are doing good or bad, it's more about how many missed tackles they've had.
    As a safety, you simply can't afford to miss tackles.
    If they are put in a position where they have to make a tackle because someone else missed, it still doesn't excuse them.
    Safeties in a prevent style defense, simply can't miss, or the whole premise is shot to hell.
    Winfield coming back will help, as they won't be on the hook as much, but they need to pick up their play.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I seem to remember reading a few weeks back that Greenway was WAY up there in the league for missed tackles.....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    I seem to remember reading a few weeks back that Greenway was WAY up there in the league for missed tackles.....
    As tackles are a stat not compiled by the NFL, I can't imagine how unofficial a missed tackle stat would be.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"ThorSPL" wrote:

Man, I would find that really hard to believe.
    Greenway always seems to make solid tackles and rarely slips up, from what I've seen.
    Then again, he's always around the ball it seems also, so there could be some missed tackle's that I'm just not noticing.....But more times than not, Greenway takes the man down, with great technique also....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.