Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    purplegang is offline Starter

Re: Not Culpeppers Fault

OOooH BOY , U guys seam to forget this is a team sport, its not any 1 guys fault, first game of the year yes it was poo poo , but i would rather have the team lose a few games now while there trying to get thier shit together, then at the end of the year when they should really be rolling,you know what happened the last few years 6-0 then played the giants, needless to say down hill from there, So hopefully they will get it out of thier system early and have a good year, have faith they will come thru

smootpepper is offline Pro-Bowler

I have to agree with del on this one. Lots of the blame should go to pep on this loss. The oline should get most of it though. They made our oline from last year look like studs with the way they played vs the bucs. At least last year it seemed like it was only one defender getting into the backfield on 50% of our passes, yesterday it seemed like the whole line was getting in the backfield on 80% of our plays.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Always in football when things don't go well, we all place the blame on the QB. Yes I think Daunte held the ball too long on occasion, but with the running game being so unproductive and the Bucs d-line only rushing 4, Barber locked on Nate like a glove, it's gonna take a little more time for the o-line to jell. We really need a better push to get that running game going, then everything else will open up. Daunte will read the d better and get the ball off in a rythm. But we have to have a running game that is better than 1.6 yards per carry yikes, lets go Vikings.!!! The Bengals are an up and coming team and will not be a easy win, so let's regroup and start pushing people around up front... skol Vikings

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

First game was not what we hoped for and with all of the changes and excitement I know we were all dissapointed. Culpepper was not brilliant, in fact it was one of his worst games, O-line was not impressive but did get better with the adjuxtments made, Defense looks really good, Kicking/punting really good. I am not going to let this one kill my hopes, we can make the changes needed...i agree that culpepper needs to make better decisions. He could have ran more yesterday and I think we could have won....
    Oh well, bring on the next team!
    I BLEED PURPLE!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    There is no doubt in my mind Culpepper is a top 5 QB in the NFL. I think he just had a bad game, and like I said before he will grow from it and be even better then before.

That's the one fact I trust about the guy is he learns from his mistakes he has prooven that time and time again.
    I think that DC is in the top 3 QBs in the league. Sometimes the numbers lie. They will be fibbing until half way through the season though with his performance against the Yucs. But the teams future isn't based on how DC individual season stats look, thank God.

I definitely think that DC learns. I think it helps when he has a qood QB coach too. He did really well the year that during the off season he made it a mental note that he was not going to run as much. He chose to throw the ball away instead of Running. It was blatant at first that he wasn't going to run and then about week 5 or 6, he got a good balance between run or throw it away. He did really well the rest of that season and last year.

I really didn't see a lot of the routes the WRs were running but there are routes that can be ran that are quick timing routes.

Del, I know that you said that DC had a pocket but I have to say it was closing in on him almost everytime. It was a mixture of a lot of things. Like, i remember one play in particular where McKinney had himself between DC and Rice perfectly. The pocket started to close on the other side of the line so DC takes 2 steps forward and towards McKinney and Rice changed his direction from upfield movement to heading back to the line and Sacked DC. I think there were some plays like that where the WRs were not open. Also, the fact that we didn't have a Running game or that we totally abandoned it, allowed them to keep 7 back for the pass. We didn't dominate the line, they never respected the run they pushed th eline of scrimage back a yard every time we tried to run. On the pass, they only needed to rush 4, they were getting enough pressure on the QB.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

All things considering. We still had a couple chances to win this game even though:

2 TD's were called back, Culp single handedly had 5 Turn overs--HORRID!, our Oline couldn't give our RB's any room or Culp enough protection--HORRID!, our Defense was on the field way too much.

The thing that sticks in my mind the most is that Culp had 2 int's in the last two minutes of the game when we were trying to win...and the 1st INT was during a good drive too.

Culp had a bad game, no doubt. I wish we had another home game before going against a well-improved team like Cincy... even if the vikes won 31 to 7 this week against the schlobss tampa, i would not think Cincy would be a walk in the park. They are in a tough division and play everyone tough.

Cincy makes me nervous especially with the way our Offense just played. A friend of mine said our flag football oline could have hung in their better...i almost agree!

I hate the fact that Mewelde Moore sat...he is a play maker. what does Tice have wrong with this guy?

"purplegang" wrote:
    OOooH BOY , U guys seam to forget this is a team sport, its not any 1 guys fault, first game of the year yes it was poo poo , but i would rather have the team lose a few games now while there trying to get thier pooh together, then at the end of the year when they should really be rolling,you know what happened the last few years 6-0 then played the giants, needless to say down hill from there, So hopefully they will get it out of thier system early and have a good year, have faith they will come thru
    The original post contained something to the effect that the MEDIA was hanging this on DC. Yes, it is a team sport but DC is going to be the scapegoat for this. Especially when many of the commentators and the organization says this is his team. Plus there is a lot of expectation from DC.

I don't think that most of us are saying that this is only DC's fault but if he is a man, he will take his lumps, learn and come out next week and play like he should, like he knows he can. It isn't about blaming DC.

By the way, our buddy Sean Salisbury Stake, was nice enough to say on sportcenter last night that the line got whooped. Does that make you'all happy? But he also said you gotta hold onto the ball.

By the way, Favre had a similar game. TOO MANY TOs to expect to win the game.

Del Rio Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    There is no doubt in my mind Culpepper is a top 5 QB in the NFL. I think he just had a bad game, and like I said before he will grow from it and be even better then before.

That's the one fact I trust about the guy is he learns from his mistakes he has prooven that time and time again.
    I think that DC is in the top 3 QBs in the league. Sometimes the numbers lie. They will be fibbing until half way through the season though with his performance against the Yucs. But the teams future isn't based on how DC individual season stats look, thank God.

I definitely think that DC learns. I think it helps when he has a qood QB coach too. He did really well the year that during the off season he made it a mental note that he was not going to run as much. He chose to throw the ball away instead of Running. It was blatant at first that he wasn't going to run and then about week 5 or 6, he got a good balance between run or throw it away. He did really well the rest of that season and last year.

I really didn't see a lot of the routes the WRs were running but there are routes that can be ran that are quick timing routes.

Del, I know that you said that DC had a pocket but I have to say it was closing in on him almost everytime. It was a mixture of a lot of things. Like, i remember one play in particular where McKinney had himself between DC and Rice perfectly. The pocket started to close on the other side of the line so DC takes 2 steps forward and towards McKinney and Rice changed his direction from upfield movement to heading back to the line and Sacked DC. I think there were some plays like that where the WRs were not open. Also, the fact that we didn't have a Running game or that we totally abandoned it, allowed them to keep 7 back for the pass. We didn't dominate the line, they never respected the run they pushed th eline of scrimage back a yard every time we tried to run. On the pass, they only needed to rush 4, they were getting enough pressure on the QB.
    You know snow,
    Culpepper obviously didn't have a pocket every time. There was a pocket sometime IMO.

I think he is not a comfortable pocket passer. Plain and simple. He is either 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage and playing out of the shotgun or he is scrambling. I think part of the problem is the new QB coach must be stressing pocket passing. He seems most productive when he is allowed to roam free of the pocket.

I don't know at this point. I agree he was getting pressured. I don't agree the pressure was consitant enough to blame his poor performance on the line entirely. That's just where I stand. It is not a crucial point to my liking the guy or anything, I think he will do fine.

If it is the coach taking him away from his bread and butter then we will be in for a long season.

I don't think that the line was blocking for him to roll out on the fumble when he was hit from behind near the sideline. Wiggins just touched the end and let him go and cause the fumble.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I don't know at this point. I agree he was getting pressured. I don't agree the pressure was consitant enough to blame his poor performance on the line entirely.
    I can agree with you on the pressure. I know there were a 2 sacks, but I don't remember DC getting knocked to the ground alot. But then again, they were only rushing 4. It makes me wonder if the WRs were running routes to adjust for the closing pocket.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20050911_TB@MIN

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/teamstats/NFL_20050911_TB@MIN

Things to think about.

We had more first down.
    We had 4 fumbles and lost 2. The 2 we didn't lose were close to a loss of down situation, wasted play or loss of yards.
    Lots of second and longs and third and longs without getting a good run going on 1st down.
    Even with the bad line play and the TOs we still drove down the field and had a chance to go ahead.

Like they always say, TO are the deciding factor. 5 TOs to 2 TOs, that is 3 drives (chances to score) that we didn't get to finish on.

Since DC had 4 of those TOs, he had his hands on it personally that is why he getting some of the direct blame.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast