Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

It is not all doom and gloom.

First off, I just want to say that I apologise if I am just saying something that has been said over and over under other headings....

I consider myself a very hard core Vikings fan.
    I would also like to see them somehow get into the playoffs....but I am a realist too and understand that they probably wont...and even if they did, it would be an early exit.

With that being said, I am usually in a very foul mood the day after a Viking defeat. Especially at the hands of a hated rival....but today (and even a few minutes after yesterdays game) I am not in a bad mood.
    I saw some VERY positive steps that took place in yesterdays game.
    I felt very bad for the defense that played an outstanding game!
    The offensive line took some big steps forward, openning some running lanes for our RB's.

The Vikings went into Chicago to play one of the top 3 teams in the NFC and dominated almost ever statistical catagory....however they lost when BJ gave away the game.
    Nobody faults the pass that bounced off of the TE's chest....but the pick that was returned, followed by the pick to Urlacher were both very bad decisions.

Thinking back to our 4-2 start, it is somewhat amusing to think of all of the people on this website that were outraged and constantly sending messages that BJ was underpaid and should get a raise!
    Anyone still feel that way?
    Perhaps the coaching staff and Wilfs knew this was a "filler year" and nothing more for BJ.

I was a strong believer that as long as this team was in a playoff hunt, you do NOT make a QB change.
    I think the time is now to make that change.
    But IF Childress decides to do it, then turn it over to TJ....
    Bollinger is probably more capable of winning a game in the NFL right now....but unless the Vikes see BB as their QB of the future, then I would start TJ.

There is NOTHING like NFL experience to learn from.
    4 games left in the season would be huge to let TJ know what he needs to do in the off season to prepare for his future.
    If he gets no experience in these final 4 games....then he comes into next season no more prepared then he is today.

I believe that the Wilfs will do anything they can within the rules of the game to improve this team.
    The defense is a tweak to two away from being a top 5 defense in the league (in my opinion)

I believe they will address some of the offensive issues during the off season through free agency and the draft.
    Their offensive line will have a year behind them and WILL get better the longer they play together.

Our coaching staff has only been together for less then 12 months.
    THEY will get better as a unit.

I am not bitter today...mainly because of what I saw in the game....not what I saw as a final score.
    I think we are only a couple players away from having a VERY GOOD team!

ps, I might also be feeling good because I played golf this weekend....and even though it was cold enough to require a sweatshirt, I still played pretty well!
    Go ahead, make fun of the fruits and nuts in California....I wouldnt trade the weather for anything!!
    ;D
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Del Rio Guest

Re: It is not all doom and gloom.

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    First off, I just want to say that I apologise if I am just saying something that has been said over and over under other headings....

I consider myself a very hard core Vikings fan.
    I would also like to see them somehow get into the playoffs....but I am a realist too and understand that they probably wont...and even if they did, it would be an early exit.

With that being said, I am usually in a very foul mood the day after a Viking defeat. Especially at the hands of a hated rival....but today (and even a few minutes after yesterdays game) I am not in a bad mood.
    I saw some VERY positive steps that took place in yesterdays game.
    I felt very bad for the defense that played an outstanding game!
    The offensive line took some big steps forward, openning some running lanes for our RB's.

The Vikings went into Chicago to play one of the top 3 teams in the NFC and dominated almost ever statistical catagory....however they lost when BJ gave away the game.
    Nobody faults the pass that bounced off of the TE's chest....but the pick that was returned, followed by the pick to Urlacher were both very bad decisions.

Thinking back to our 4-2 start, it is somewhat amusing to think of all of the people on this website that were outraged and constantly sending messages that BJ was underpaid and should get a raise!
    Anyone still feel that way?
    Perhaps the coaching staff and Wilfs knew this was a "filler year" and nothing more for BJ.

I was a strong believer that as long as this team was in a playoff hunt, you do NOT make a QB change.
    I think the time is now to make that change.
    But IF Childress decides to do it, then turn it over to TJ....
    Bollinger is probably more capable of winning a game in the NFL right now....but unless the Vikes see BB as their QB of the future, then I would start TJ.

There is NOTHING like NFL experience to learn from.
    4 games left in the season would be huge to let TJ know what he needs to do in the off season to prepare for his future.
    If he gets no experience in these final 4 games....then he comes into next season no more prepared then he is today.

I believe that the Wilfs will do anything they can within the rules of the game to improve this team.
    The defense is a tweak to two away from being a top 5 defense in the league (in my opinion)

I believe they will address some of the offensive issues during the off season through free agency and the draft.
    Their offensive line will have a year behind them and WILL get better the longer they play together.

Our coaching staff has only been together for less then 12 months.
    THEY will get better as a unit.

I am not bitter today...mainly because of what I saw in the game....not what I saw as a final score.
    I think we are only a couple players away from having a VERY GOOD team!

ps, I might also be feeling good because I played golf this weekend....and even though it was cold enough to require a sweatshirt, I still played pretty well!
    Go ahead, make fun of the fruits and nuts in California....I wouldnt trade the weather for anything!!

;D
    If Brad Johnson is a starter he should get paid for it. If the bench him then no. I still feel the exact same way and it had absolutely nothing to do with his production.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Up until the start of yesterdays game, i would have said he still deserves to get paid that of an NFL starting quarterback.
    Now that he might not be the starter anymore could change my opinion.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I agree with the anti-doom and gloom sentiments.
    Been a fan for too long to buy into that spiel.
    I also stand by my pay the starting QB a decent salary.
    Paying BJ a pittance doesn't exactly lure any decent backups into town.
    BJ didn't pan out.

The future does look bright though, there are some holes to patch and hopefully Tarvaris works out.
    Should be anouther interesting offseason.
    For the time being, I'm going to enjoy the last four games, and possibly, at least for another weekend or so, a fifth game.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

Well I agree that all is not doomed... However there is a bit of gloom.
    I really thought that the Offense would be better than it is this year.
    I didn't think they would be great but I did think they would at least be competitive.
    They aren't.
    We need a QB and a couple of big time receivers.
    I will be happy if we can fix that by the start of next season.

WWBGD

Sorry but BJ is just too old. Its time for him to hang his cleats and retire.
    I hope when hes gone he just stays away from any footballs, I would hate to see more
    picks being thrown. BYE BYE BJ

I should probably clarify what I meant about BJ's salary.

The Wilfs have not been shy about paying players....
    I "Believe" that the Wilfs as well as the coaching staff knew before the season started that BJ was a filler...not a true starter and that nobody had any intention of his starting beyond this year.

He was treated as (and paid as) a backup QB that was forced to fill in when Daunte was sent packing....no different then if Pep would have started the season and had gone down with injury.

The coaching staff knew that the best they could hope for was a "Dilfer" like year out of BJ....
    hold mistakes to a minimum...the run game and defense will do the rest.

Brad was a starter on this team by default....not because he was any better then a backup.
    Wilfs and coaching staff knew it and paid him accordingly.

Would I say the same thing if they vikes were 8-4 right now??
    I really dont know...obviously is easier to "understand" why he didnt get paid more when he has had his worst season of his career!

A final note....I dont think BJ's salary would have anything to do with other QB's coming into Minnesota.
    If they decide to go after a SCHAUB....or a player like that....the WILFS know they will have to pay true starters money.

BJ was a true stand up guy.
    He signed a contract and has played that contract without bitching and whining....IF he would have played outstanding football this year...he would have probably gotten a raise without asking....
    I doubt seriously if he will be asking for one this off season!
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    I should probably clarify what I meant about BJ's salary.

The Wilfs have not been shy about paying players....
    I "Believe" that the Wilfs as well as the coaching staff knew before the season started that BJ was a filler...not a true starter and that nobody had any intention of his starting beyond this year.

He was treated as (and paid as) a backup QB that was forced to fill in when Daunte was sent packing....no different then if Pep would have started the season and had gone down with injury.

The coaching staff knew that the best they could hope for was a "Dilfer" like year out of BJ....
    hold mistakes to a minimum...the run game and defense will do the rest.

Brad was a starter on this team by default....not because he was any better then a backup.
    Wilfs and coaching staff knew it and paid him accordingly.

Would I say the same thing if they vikes were 8-4 right now??
    I really dont know...obviously is easier to "understand" why he didnt get paid more when he has had his worst season of his career!

A final note....I dont think BJ's salary would have anything to do with other QB's coming into Minnesota.
    If they decide to go after a SCHAUB....or a player like that....the WILFS know they will have to pay true starters money.

He signed a contract and has played that contract without bitching and whining....IF he would have played outstanding football this year...he would have probably gotten a raise without asking....
    I doubt seriously if he will be asking for one this off season!
    I did pull the backup QB statement out of my ass hoping I wouldn't get caught.
    I agree with most of your statements, but when Culpepper fled for the peninsula Brad was deemed the starter, therefore he should have gotten starter's pay.
    You're right, he was a standup guy and honored his contract, more than many would have done in his situation.

As a side, as you know, this is a discussion back in time.
    Preseason.
    Any moron can say with today's results that he shouldn't get paid more.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Start TJ...then find a new backup for next season!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

He signed a contract and has played that contract without bitching and whining....
    I agree 100% with that.
    Even though he is not playing well I still like BJ.
    He is having a tough year.
    Maybe its time to give someone else a shot.
    However he is a good guy and I am not going to dump on him for doing what he could to help this team out.
    He was put in a tough situation with all the changes and he was a stand up guy about it and a class act.
    He did the best he could.
    I am not going to rag on him for it and neither should anyone else.

WWBGD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast