Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Norv Turner wanted Browns to sign Matt Cassel in 2013

Norv Turner wanted Browns to sign Matt Cassel in 2013 - NFL.com

Reading the article the feeling is mutual with Cassel signing a new deal when he knew Norv was coming. Hard to see Teddy or Ponder overtaking him in the pecking order now.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I hope Cassel plays well this year. It would benefit Bridgewater to sit and learn for a year. Hope it works out that way.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Wouldn't it be nice to have a true #1 QB with a bad ass backup waiting in the wings for an opportunity?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    I hope Cassel plays well this year. It would benefit Bridgewater to sit and learn for a year. Hope it works out that way.
    I agree. I hope Cassel has a good year. Turner also seems to be the one who really wanted Bridgewater. I have no doubt if Teddy shows he is ready, they will put him in there. That is a tough task though. Whatever happens, I have faith the coaching staff will make the right decision.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    I agree. I hope Cassel has a good year. Turner also seems to be the one who really wanted Bridgewater. I have no doubt if Teddy shows he is ready, they will put him in there. That is a tough task though. Whatever happens, I have faith the coaching staff will make the right decision.
    Just a personal opinion here, but I really think TBW will have to completely out-class Cassel to get the nod this season... ~or~ Cassel gets hurt. Turner really likes Cassel, and likes to use QBs that have seasoning. I THINK I've read somewhere (I get some of these guys mixed up) that one of the most painful times Turner had coaching QBs was Aikman's first season, because he knew what he had but Troy just wasn't quite ready yet.

TBW will really have to prove definitively that he is a cut above Cassel to get the job.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    For the life of me I can't figure out why? He is a weak armed QB and Norv runs a offense that really requires a strong armed QB.

I can't wait to see a QB make his read progressions from the 40+ back (Air Coryell scheme) instead of the OL out like we see in the Walsh WCO.

In the end, as much as I hate to see a rookie take the field, I'm of a mind that we need to get Teddy on the field so Norv doesn't have to modify his scheme to match a QB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    For the life of me I can't figure out why? He is a weak armed QB and Norv runs a offense that really requires a strong armed QB.

I can't wait to see a QB make his read progressions from the 40+ back (Air Coryell scheme) instead of the OL out like we see in the Walsh WCO.

In the end, as much as I hate to see a rookie take the field, I'm of a mind that we need to get Teddy on the field so Norv doesn't have to modify his scheme to match a QB.
    Norv did get over 4000 yards from Brad Johnson and put him in the Pro Bowl. The notion that a "strong armed" QB is needed for Norv's offense has been explained in much detail in many articles (including the one that started this thread). Especially when drafting Teddy with all the weak arm talk surrounding him.

Bottom line, he doesn't necessarily need a strong arm and both Cassell and Bridgewater should have adequate arm strength if they can handle the other aspects well.

IMO, who starts in week one is still open. Cassell is probably the odds on favorite, but don't be surprised if Teddy is starting relatively soon unless Cassell plays at a high level. I think Matt's inconsistency will be what benches him. Just don't see him putting a string of good games together.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post

The double A gap blitz gave the Vikings fits last year. If they can't get that problem solved, I don't see how any of the QB's will have success in Norv's system.
    BTW, welcome back. Slow around here without you.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to have a true #1 QB with a bad ass backup waiting in the wings for an opportunity?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

I've mentioned this before, but I think Turner seems to like accuracy over arm strength. Perhaps what he sees in Bridgewater is the potential for greater arm strength, and a game time accuracy Turner hasn't had since Aikman.

I'm grasping with that last one, but good ol' Norv saw SOMETHING in Teddy's tryouts. Since both Irvin and Aikman have both talked about how Turner loved using Aikman's ability in that regard, it makes sense that Norv might have seen something similar in Teddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast