Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    What leads you to think that? His one AFC Championship appearance in 20 years? How many comeback victories does he have to support that claim? Honest question, I have no clue how many he has...

Childress got to an NFC Championship, he must be great at making adjustments during the game too...
    his adjustment was to shut his yap and let someone run the show who knew what they were doing
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    20th and 27th is almost as bad.

Norv Turner was once good, but what has he done lately? Times change, and after having offenses and defenses stuck in 1994, I was hoping for some new blood.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Here you go, ranked based on total yardage:

2013 Offense Ranks: 2013 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN

2012 Offense Ranks: 2012 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Not to mention that the ProFootball Focus rankings you provided have those rankings as 20th (2012 Chargers) and 27th (2013 browns)... in other words, abysmal no matter which rankings you use.

Bottom line, the guy hasn't done anything notable since having Troy Aikmen and Emmitt Smith at the helm.
    From 2007 through 2011, San Diego was a top 5 offense. A little more recent than the Dallas years.

By the way, Norv Turner likes the power running game in a Coryell type offense. It worked in Dallas, where he had the right players, and in San Diego until he burned out his running backs. It failed otherwise, as he tried to fit square pegs into round holes.

I would have rather had a modern coach with real Bill Walsh style West Coast elements. We will see if Norv brings in his old playbooks with a purple cover. If so, it will make scouting the Vikings so much easier.

This is an interesting read:

The-Norv-Turner-effect

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Some of you guys seem to think that all he knows is what he did in Dallas. He has been a coach for 29 yrs. I suspect he has learned a lot along the way and is probably smarter now than he was in Dallas. I think he has probably studied every offensive scheme that is run in the NFL. I think he is a great addition to the team.

WWBGD

iowa is offline Rookie
    well they just made it official, norv is the o.c. i'm excited, they have made major upgrades to our coaching staff, can't wait to see what happens in free agency and the draft !
    None

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I just hope he does a good job of finding position coaches that can develop these guys on offense. One positive about hiring a guy who is as well traveled as Norv is that he has seen a lot of up and coming coaches in his time and hopefully he can give some good candidates to Zimmer to interview and bring in.

We really need a top notch OL coach. I think we had a darn good WR coach so I an not sure we can upgrade that one. Just getting a staff that can get the players on the same page and playing at a high level will do wonders for the offense.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Nice. It was also reported that Edwards has become the DC. I'm not as sold on that move as I am on the Norv Turner signing. It's nice though that we have a defensive wizard as HC who will more than likely call the plays on defense. If Edwards slips up, Zimmer will get rid of his ass and get someone in here that will do their job the way it should be done. That's what I like about our new HC.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Nice. It was also reported that Edwards has become the DC. I'm not as sold on that move as I am on the Norv Turner signing. It's nice though that we have a defensive wizard as HC who will more than likely call the plays on defense. If Edwards slips up, Zimmer will get rid of his ass and get someone in here that will do their job the way it should be done. That's what I like about our new HC.
    My boss is a hug 'Phins fan, so I asked him what he thought. He said that the LBs were actually quite good for the Dolphins last year. He thinks the LB coach must be doing a good job. Tough to say how he'll translate to a coordinator job, but since he's not playcalling, he can't be that bad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast