Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I think he should do this regardless.
    Yes, and I think he did it last time as well. He has ultimate responsibility for the pick, but it's not done in a vacuum...unless we're talking about the Cowboys.

Norv, won't be given carte blance either, he will have influence (probably a lot of influence), but it will be an organizational decision.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I'm a fan of the current structure with the GM in charge of personnel and the head coach search. Spielman is the most important man in the organization with regard to the Vikings success. No amount of great coaching can overcome a lack of talented players. The theory Spielman and the Wilfs are working under is the talent will be on the roster if the coaching staff can get the most out of them. It's up to Spielman to put that talent on the roster. That remains to be seen.
    I heard Robison, on the radio, say that Spielman met with players, to ask them what they were looking for, in a new coach. I thought that was a smart.
    Channeling a previous high volume poster whose name shall not be mentioned....

Zimmer and his staff will evaluate the current roster and identify areas he fills need to be addressed by priority. That list will be a starting point for Spielman to work under using available cap room to explore FA, draft, or trades. He will need to look not only at this upcoming year, but the next 3-4 years as well to make sure all the player contracts and personnel shifting is aligned with the vision of the current coaching staff and front office.

I know you are aware of this, but I think it gets oversimplified too often on the process of identifying the appropriate talent and why one player is maybe selected over another to the frustration of many fans.

rockymtdan is offline Rookie
    Do you think Norv will have the option to bring in top notch free agent QB? There are a couple that might just become 1st string. And not one of them is in purple right now!
    I would think his presence would make Minny a more appealing place to play then it was before.
    Go ahead back up your to close away.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    I'm not as excited about Norv Turner as some... His last two years have been pretty miserable. The 2012 Chargers offense ranked 31st in the league... and the 2013 Browns offense ranked 16th in the league.

His offenses haven't done anything since 1993.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Channeling a previous high volume poster whose name shall not be mentioned....

Zimmer and his staff will evaluate the current roster and identify areas he fills need to be addressed by priority. That list will be a starting point for Spielman to work under using available cap room to explore FA, draft, or trades. He will need to look not only at this upcoming year, but the next 3-4 years as well to make sure all the player contracts and personnel shifting is aligned with the vision of the current coaching staff and front office.

I know you are aware of this, but I think it gets oversimplified too often on the process of identifying the appropriate talent and why one player is maybe selected over another to the frustration of many fans.
    The guy you are channeling was infamous for saying "coaches coach, players play". He wanted everything to be black and white and rolled up in a neat little package; simplicity without shades of gray.
    The GM has his basic philosophy on how to build a team and how to go about doing so; eg. resist spending large amounts of cap space capital on older free agents who tend to be a bit higher injury risk than younger players, and trying to gain extra picks to have the flexibility to move about the board on draft days.
    The owners have bought in to Rick's philosophy on team building, and I can only assume that would be an important topic of conversation with Zimmer when he interviewed.
    When Ponder had no off season due to the lockout, Frazier persuaded Spielman to sign McNabb.
    Spielman also asked his players what they were looking for in a new head coach after Frazier was fired.
    So Spielman does listen and take input from the players and staff which indicates that the GM, coaching staff, and players are working together for a common goal.
    I like that structure and think it will be a success, providing they get the right personnel on the roster.
    The burden of finding the right players will be shared but is ultimately the GM's responsibility.
    The Vikings wont be a championship team without finding a good QB and hitting on some mid to late round draft picks.
    I'm warming up a bit on Spielman, I think he is on the right track, but realize he still has a lot to prove.
    Apologies for the long post.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    I'm not as excited about Norv Turner as some... His last two years have been pretty miserable. The 2012 Chargers offense ranked 31st in the league... and the 2013 Browns offense ranked 16th in the league.

His offenses haven't done anything since 1993.
    By what measure? I'm having a hard time finding numbers which match those rankings.
    2012 San Diego Chargers Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2013 Cleveland Browns Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    If nothing else I think Turner can provide a working knowledge of fundamentals to the QB position. He can also provide a knowledge of the systems philosophy and progressions that could make a newly drafted QB successful in Minn. We haven't had that since Touchdown Tommy.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Here you go, ranked based on total yardage:

2013 Offense Ranks: 2013 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN

2012 Offense Ranks: 2012 NFL Team Total Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Not to mention that the ProFootball Focus rankings you provided have those rankings as 20th (2012 Chargers) and 27th (2013 browns)... in other words, abysmal no matter which rankings you use.

Bottom line, the guy hasn't done anything notable since having Troy Aikmen and Emmitt Smith at the helm.
    Last edited by C Mac D; 01-17-2014 at 01:17 PM.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Rankings are not that meaningful. What counts is how well did you do considering what you had to work with. You can drop in the rankings due to injuries to players, or just lack of talent at key positions. Personally I am more interested in his play calling ability and his ability to design more into the offense than run run pass. Or as it has been this year, AP, AP, pass short of first down marker. Also I think Norv Turner has the ability to make adjustments during the game, something we have not had.

WWBGD

Quote Originally Posted by RK. View Post
    Rankings are not that meaningful. What counts is how well did you do considering what you had to work with. You can drop in the rankings due to injuries to players, or just lack of talent at key positions. Personally I am more interested in his play calling ability and his ability to design more into the offense than run run pass. Or as it has been this year, AP, AP, pass short of first down marker. Also I think Norv Turner has the ability to make adjustments during the game, something we have not had.
    What leads you to think that? His one AFC Championship appearance in 20 years? How many comeback victories does he have to support that claim? Honest question, I have no clue how many he has...

Childress got to an NFC Championship, he must be great at making adjustments during the game too...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast