Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norv Turner..

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    At the end of the day Norv Turner hasn't done much in the past 20 years as an OC, the position we hired him for.

Outside of benefiting from the likes of Troy Aikman, Emmett Smith & Michael Irving plus the vast amount of players & draft picks the Vikings gave him via the Herschel Walker trade, what makes people think he was so good? After all, Musgrave took what was the 29th ranked point scoring offense & got us up to 14th. That wasn't good enough for me or most fans, yet many Vikings fans are ecstatic about the Turner signing.

Here's a peek at his accomplishments as OC in the last 20 years since leaving the Cowboys;

In 2001 as OC for the Chargers, he inherited their 17th ranked offensive in points & eroded it to 21st. That's a decline, not an improvement.

In 2002-2003 in Miami, he took inherited an offense that was ranked 8th in points & then dropped them to 12th in his 1st year there & 17th in his last (2nd) year there. Again, a decline, not an improvement.

In 2006 he took over as OC for the 49ers who ranked 30th when he started and he took them to a 24th ranking. Yup an improvement there. I don't know about you, but 24th isn't anything to get all excited about, in fact it's bad.

In 2013 with the Browns, he took a bad 24th ranked offense & made them even worse with a 27th ranking.
    Moving up or down a few slots are likely within the range of margin of error. A little bit better, or a little bit worse have no statistical relevance. Basically, Norv Turner did very little for these teams either well or poor.

Great players move the rankings beyond the margin of error. Great coaches move the statistics
    beyond the margin of error. The combination, or synergy, of great players and coaches move the up much beyond what either could do alone.

On a side note, no other one player has the ability to affect an offense like the quarterback. A great quarterback is the only player that is worth paying a heavy cap contract - not a running back, and not a defensive end. The Vikings went all in on Peterson and Allen, but they went cheap on the quarterback position. That is why the Vikings lose.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Norv Turner..

Is it possible that our offensive numbers were a bit skewed because we played down in games? Many of our games came down to the wire and our defense was horrible last year. Love to hear your thoughts.
    None

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Yes. Points and yardage aren't worth much if your losing games. Both sides of the ball were uninspiring last year.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    a few things i'm looking for in a new O..

get a QB who can do the play action
    Attack the 8 -9 man fronts and make them pay for loading the box.
    Get a playcard larger then a business card..
    Utilize the greatest RB in the NFL.
    scheme up our Wr's/TE's put them in positions to make plays
    if Norv can do these i'll be happy.. if not.. we're doomed to follow the kittens and rebuild this decade away.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    In 2013 with the Browns, he took a bad 24th ranked offense & made them even worse with a 27th ranking.
    I think it might have been Mike Lombardi that trade away the teams leading scorer and rusher driving the Browns rushing offence from 13th in the league to 32nd with the week 3 trade of Trent Richardson in return for nothing in 2013 to help the team. The Turners did manage to move the passing side of the offense to 11th in yards and scoring from 19th yards and 28th in scoring the season before.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Norv Turner..

You can't dismiss the effectiveness of the Chargers offense from 2007-2011 when Turner was HC. They were top 5 in offense each of those years.

iowa is offline Rookie
    if the vikes can find a qb i think we have the rest of the pieces in place for norv to be successful. his problems in Cleveland were lack of a decent qb, no running game and only one good wr. with patterson, jennings, wright, rudolph and a.d., we've got some weapons.
    None

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Let me think, Norv or the same old same old that we had with Musgrave.. yep I'll take a chance on Turner even with some of the stats being raised about his recent years.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I am thinking Norv is a hell of an upgrade over what we've seen around here for quite some time. I for one am looking forward to it.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    No more KAO!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast