Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norv Turner..

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Norv Turner..

Norv Turner, the Chinese Room and Israeli Prisons

Norv Turner, the Chinese Room and Israeli Prisons - Daily Norseman

not sure wtf the Chinese room & Israeli prisons have to do with this, but a great fucking read on what Turner will bring to the Vikes. If it is anything like "Air Coryell" were going to put some points on the board this season. And by the sounds of it, Johnny fucking football will not be a great fit into the offense, but Derrick Carr @ pick 40 will. I wouldn't be surprised to go with CJ Mosley with our first pick.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Ok first off, if you don't have the day off or at the very least an hour lunch and don't want to eat, save this article for later. Poor writer on this one probably ended up with Carpal Tunnel.

This was a very good read, and had some very good points. I am excited to see what this offense can do under Turner, and I hope we get the right QB in here whoever that may be. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by VikesfaninWis View Post
    Ok first off, if you don't have the day off or at the very least an hour lunch and don't want to eat, save this article for later. Poor writer on this one probably ended up with Carpal Tunnel.

This was a very good read, and had some very good points. I am excited to see what this offense can do under Turner, and I hope we get the right QB in here whoever that may be. Good times.
    No kidding, quite lengthy read..

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    There is not much new there for football historians, but it is a good read.

I do not think he gives Sid Gillman enough credit, and says nothing of innovations from Jerry Burns, but overall, it is well thought out.

After the year McCown had, it did mention that he would be a good fit for what style offense Norv is bringing in..worth a shot at getting him? would he sign knowing he'd be a starter for a short, or some time?? something to think about imo. I do think the article gave us some idea of what type players we need to fill specific spots. Pass catching FB, I immediately think of Zach Line, we have the TE desired, the WR (Patterson) will need to work on route running, but all in all, we are not far away of the pieces needed for this offense.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beersTommy View Post
    ... but all in all, we are not far away of the pieces needed for this offense.
    More so than a Walsh style WCO.

Peterson is not a WCO back, and his blocking will need to improve in this offense.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    At the end of the day Norv Turner hasn't done much in the past 20 years as an OC, the position we hired him for.

Outside of benefiting from the likes of Troy Aikman, Emmett Smith & Michael Irving plus the vast amount of players & draft picks the Vikings gave him via the Herschel Walker trade, what makes people think he was so good? After all, Musgrave took what was the 29th ranked point scoring offense & got us up to 14th. That wasn't good enough for me or most fans, yet many Vikings fans are ecstatic about the Turner signing.

Here's a peek at his accomplishments as OC in the last 20 years since leaving the Cowboys;

In 2001 as OC for the Chargers, he inherited their 17th ranked offensive in points & eroded it to 21st. That's a decline, not an improvement.

In 2002-2003 in Miami, he took inherited an offense that was ranked 8th in points & then dropped them to 12th in his 1st year there & 17th in his last (2nd) year there. Again, a decline, not an improvement.

In 2006 he took over as OC for the 49ers who ranked 30th when he started and he took them to a 24th ranking. Yup an improvement there. I don't know about you, but 24th isn't anything to get all excited about, in fact it's bad.

In 2013 with the Browns, he took a bad 24th ranked offense & made them even worse with a 27th ranking.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    At the end of the day Norv Turner hasn't done much in the past 20 years as an OC, the position we hired him for.

Outside of benefiting from the likes of Troy Aikman, Emmett Smith & Michael Irving plus the vast amount of players & draft picks the Vikings gave him via the Herschel Walker trade, what makes people think he was so good? After all, Musgrave took what was the 29th ranked point scoring offense & got us up to 14th. That wasn't good enough for me or most fans, yet many Vikings fans are ecstatic about the Turner signing.

Here's a peek at his accomplishments as OC in the last 20 years since leaving the Cowboys;

In 2001 as OC for the Chargers, he inherited their 17th ranked offensive in points & eroded it to 21st. That's a decline, not an improvement.

In 2002-2003 in Miami, he took inherited an offense that was ranked 8th in points & then dropped them to 12th in his 1st year there & 17th in his last (2nd) year there. Again, a decline, not an improvement.

In 2006 he took over as OC for the 49ers who ranked 30th when he started and he took them to a 24th ranking. Yup an improvement there. I don't know about you, but 24th isn't anything to get all excited about, in fact it's bad.

In 2013 with the Browns, he took a bad 24th ranked offense & made them even worse with a 27th ranking.
    Picking and choosing stats don't always tell the whole story. For instance...

In 2000, the San Diego chargers were 28th in total yardage, and 32nd in TO ratio with -28. The 2000 Chargers also finished 1-15. After Turner came in they moved up to 11th in total yardage and 13th in TO ratio with +2. They finished with a record of 5-11. Yes, there total points went down, but there was no question that the 2001 Chargers offense was considerably better than the year before.

I am excited to see what Turner can do in Minnesota. If for no other reason than he will likely have a new QB to work with, something that most people in NFL circles feel he is very well suited for.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Picking and choosing stats don't always tell the whole story. For instance...

In 2000, the San Diego chargers were 28th in total yardage, and 32nd in TO ratio with -28. The 2000 Chargers also finished 1-15. After Turner came in they moved up to 11th in total yardage and 13th in TO ratio with +2. They finished with a record of 5-11. Yes, there total points went down, but there was no question that the 2001 Chargers offense was considerably better than the year before.

I am excited to see what Turner can do in Minnesota. If for no other reason than he will likely have a new QB to work with, something that most people in NFL circles feel he is very well suited for.
    Yardage doesn't win ball games, scoring does. 5-11 is good now?

Using your yardage angle, in 2011 when Musgrave came in, the Vikings were 23th in total yardage. In 2013 when he left the Vikings were 13th. The points also went up from 29th to 14th. Isn't that considerable improvement?

Just saying....
    Last edited by singersp; 01-31-2014 at 04:06 PM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Yardage doesn't win ball games, scoring does. 5-11 is good now?

Using your yardage angle, in 2011 when Musgrave came in, the Vikings were 23th in total yardage. In 2013 when he left the Vikings were 13th. The points also went up from 29th to 14th. Isn't that considerable improvement?

Just saying....
    Yeah that's why the Broncos are facing Bears in the super bowl, no wait its the Eagles, oops no its the Cowboys or Packers...oh yeah Seahawks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast