Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

With all their OL shuffling and the new QB and all...I'm hoping/somewhat expecting our DL to dominate to the tune of Total Anihilation!!
    ;D

I think MM is a bit over rated...he had a HOF QB to run his O and "coach up the young guys on field."
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

This is all a ploy to get Nodak's name on the Official Packers vs. Vikings Thread, haha!

This is a very hard game to predict, seeing as it is the first of the season. Nodak gives a nice preview from a talent standpoint. I like to talk strategy more.

When we have the ball: You have to look at this as a perfect opportunity to use a ball control, efficient offense. This is a game where we have to slow the game down, because the GB offense is potent if they get into a rhythm. Tough running early, along with use of short passes like slants, will lead to a tired defense that we can run on and/or the beautiful KAO playaction pass. Running early will be tough, but I still think its bad to come out passing, especially with GB's front four and no Mckinnie. GB runs the cover 2 very well, we'll have to use two-sets to stop their pass rush. I look for Rice to have a good game and hope for Bevell to get the ball to our RBs in space with screens and swing passes. If we are able to limit turnovers, we surely should see some shots downfield. Keep the game close and hope the offense can be effective in the second half.

When they have the ball:
    Boy oh boy this is a game to watch in the trenches on both sides. The best way to trouble a young QB is to pressure him, yet we have not been able to generate with our front four. Allen MUST show up. If we let Rodgers get comfortable early it will be a long day. I would rather not blitz, but it may be neccesary to get to Rodgers. Johnson is good but he is a rookie and we don't want him having to make too many plays. With respect to containing the run game, I'm not too worried. Our middle is tough, our LB pursuit is good, and our DBs can tackle well. Stop the run, force them to pass, like always.

Coaching:
    Some are calling for more passing now that we have Berrian and an older TJ. I just don't see it. To use Berrian as a deep threat, you have to buy time in the pocket, and I'm not sure if we can do that agaisnt GB. I hope for a lot of 3 step drops, and playaction. Running the ball is the only way we can open up the pass game.
    We at least have to start with easier throws for TJ to establish rhythm, because I don't trust him that much yet. Can Berrian beat double coverage?? Is he good enough to even demand it??

Defensively, the blitz vs. don't blitz is a biggie. Waiting to see what happens ain't good enough, we need to jump on them early. I would hope we could stuff the run early, and put Robison in for PWill when we know pass is coming? Also, I can't agree with Winfield lining up on James Jones instead of Driver/Jennings. I understand the theory behind it, but I don't think McCauley/Gordon is good enough to handle them out the outside. In the end, I say play the set D, and BLITZ. If Rodgers is good enough to beat us blitzing, then I'd be very surprised.

Three Predictions:
    Taylor will get 10+ carries
    LBs will get at least one INT
    Whoever wins the game will win the NFC North

Watch for:
    Let's try to take a close look at AD's blocking. Do we still sub him for passes? Does he do a good job when he is in.

or

One play where we run playaction and throw it to the RB. We love that play.

Vikings 20 - GB 17. Nailbiter.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Marrdro, I agree, the front four do indeed need to get pressure. ALL THE TIME! But, young QB, who has never started a game? Hahahhahah, he won't see EJ coming, and he will have no idea what hit him. Favre would make the pass....Rodgers? Ohhhhhh my!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Yeah, I'd rather see our LBs either covering the slants/short outs, or hitting the WRs within the 5 yards hard enough to disrupt their routes/timing and/or flat out lay them out!
    It is those quick slants that the Pack has killed us with for years...we need to find a way to fuck with their rhythm!!

I'd love to see Greenway (or any of our LBs for that matter) sniff out one of these, step in front of it for the INT and take it home for a pick six!!!

Whoever wins the game will win the NFC North
    Bold statement for week1.
    But, likely very close to truth.
    Whoever loses will be 1.5 games behind in the race for the division...and with our schedules, that may be hard to overcome!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UTVikfan" wrote:
    Marrdro, I agree, the front four do indeed need to get pressure. ALL THE TIME! But, young QB, who has never started a game? Hahahhahah, he won't see EJ coming, and he will have no idea what hit him. Favre would make the pass....Rodgers? Ohhhhhh my!
    Think back to the Steelers game my friend.
    Even though it was preseason, what I saw is a nice indicator that we won't have to use a LB to get to the QB quickly.

If we can get pressure like that (They had Big Ben spinning himself into circles) early without the LB's we will be set.

I am a proponent of using our LB's, CB's and S's in the pressure scheme via the blitz, just not as prevelant as some seem to think we need to do it.

Again, look back to what you saw in the Steeler game.
    I think that is the D you will see alot of this year and it did have some wrinkles in it?

a.
    Some nice Crossbucks between the DE's and DT.
    Confused the OL as to were the DE's were coming from.
    Remember when 3 of the DL met in the middle?
    When was the last time we saw pressure like that up the middle.

b.
    A bit more press coverage, or at least a bit tighter coverage from our CB's.
    That resulted in the QB getting off his first read quickly especially when he saw a LB taking away the quit slant.
    When he went to go to his second read someone was in his grill and he was tucking and ducking and that happened pretty quickly.
    If we could have done that last year our guys would have had that extra second to get to the QB.

c.
    We saw our DL and LB's drop into coverage a couple of times and a S and a CB blitzed.
    Again, it happened quick enough and was disguised well enough that it caught Big Ben off gaurd.

Long story short, it all starts up front.
    You get him rattled with pressure from the front 4 and then you have the lattitude to start mixing things up.
    And if (Big Damn IF) they are disguised correctly young Rodgers won't have time to get even the quick slants off let alone feel comfortable enough to stand in there and attempt to throw a deep ball.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234