Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    "MinnesotaFury" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Update to my post... With Madieu out for the opener, the rookie Johnson will likely get the nod.
    Isn't Johnson a strong safety?
    Madieu is a Free Safety.
    Frampton will most likely start, won't he? Or did I miss something?

    All these comments about our pass defense being last in the league is driving me nuts.
    Yes, we finished last in yardage, but we were first in pass attempts against us.
    We finished 16th (dead average) for passing TD's allowed, and if you consider yds/attempt, we finished 16th again.
    We have an average pass defense.
    The thing that skews the numbers is the fact that we faced so many more throws due to our fantastic run defense.
    (which btw, is probably #2, the ravens had a lower avg than us).

    Our pass defense should improve with more experience in the secondary, and more of a rush up front.
    The Packers last year in two games threw the ball 91 times.
    That's insane.
    The main factor will be whether or not they are comfortable enough letting Rodgers throw 45 times in his first game.
    The first game should be a good test for our run defense.
    Ryan Grant, by the way, was the only rusher to break 100 yds on us last year.
    I don't see that happening again.

    I like our odds.
    I think you are on to something here, however, you need to remember what has come out of the staff with respect to our safeties.

    The link I wanted to use isn't available anymore but this one is good enough.

    Johnson has been working as the No. 2 strong safety to Sharper, but in the Tampa-2 scheme the Vikings run the safety positions are interchangeable.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...tml?page=2&c=y

    In essence they are interchangeable and can't really be classified as a FS and a SS.
    Although I would rather see a Vet back there with Sharp I suspect STJ will do fine especially if the front 4 get the pressure we expect them to this year.

    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    UTVikfan's Avatar
    UTVikfan is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    814

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    On the Packers passing O/our passing D. I think Rodgers eyes will be opened Monday night. It is one thing to come in and play, when the team has game planned Favre. It is a whole different deal when they have gameplanned for your first start in the NFL.

    Was it Fitzpatrick from the Rams that lit a team up, coming in, then when game planned against, looked really average? My belief is, Aaron Rodgers is going to replace Eli as my favorite QB. Eli is always good for a few int's and 1-3 pick 6's. I think Rodgers will show him up.

    What I want to see, is EJ blitzing up the middle, cause he can bring a load of wood. If Pat and Kevin can't clear a path, no one can. New QB's especially, but any QB HATES pressure up the middle. I am hoping for at least two EJ clips on "Jacked up" if its still around.

  3. #23
    AKViking is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    112

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    I hope Arog is throwing 40 plus against us. That is if the Dline doesn't put him on the injury report first. He's no Favre, and 40+ throws should mean they are playing catch up. That in turn would mean our DBs s will be feasting on "duck ala Rodgers"

  4. #24
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    "UTVikfan" wrote:
    On the Packers passing O/our passing D. I think Rodgers eyes will be opened Monday night. It is one thing to come in and play, when the team has game planned Favre. It is a whole different deal when they have gameplanned for your first start in the NFL.

    Was it Fitzpatrick from the Rams that lit a team up, coming in, then when game planned against, looked really average? My belief is, Aaron Rodgers is going to replace Eli as my favorite QB. Eli is always good for a few int's and 1-3 pick 6's. I think Rodgers will show him up.

    What I want to see, is EJ blitzing up the middle, cause he can bring a load of wood. If Pat and Kevin can't clear a path, no one can. New QB's especially, but any QB HATES pressure up the middle. I am hoping for at least two EJ clips on "Jacked up" if its still around.
    What I want to see is the front 4 getting to the QB without any blitzing and EJ just focusing on stopping the run and dropping back into coverage.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #25
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

    Vikings Passing Defense vs Packers Passing Offense
    Edge: None


    For the Pack, Driver and Jennings can be difference makers, and even though Rodgers is new to the starting spot, this is his fourth year in the system.
    HOwever, the Packers OL is in a bad spot.
    Not only have they not given the QB any time so far in preseason, Scott Wells was also hampered by a torso injury throughout preseason.
    If he can't start, expect Spitz to continue to fill in at center.
    With the extent of Josh Sitton's knee injury still unknown, we could be looking at Barbre and Colledge as the two startign guards this year.
    If the OL was in better shape, the edge would go to the Packers here.
    But because of the OL, it is a tie.

    On the Vikings side, I am not going to cite Minnesota's last place ranking in total passing yards last year because that stat is skewed by the run defense.
    Sharper and Madieu Williams are still learning to work with each other, and they haven't been on the field together a lot in the preseason.
    Griffin is looking better, but still needs some polishing at the CB position.
    Jared Allen will definitely bring the pressure, and will get at least one sack.
    The Vikings easily have one of the best DLs in the league, and that should translate into a much better passing defense.
    Why not?

    It is what it is. Are not every other teams position in that ranking skewed by how good or bad their run defense is?

    If a team has a poor run defense, but a good pass defense, teams will run the ball on them making their pass defense looking much better than what it is.
    When I say it is skewed, it is because we are only last in ONE statistical category - passing yards per game.
    If you look at averages, such as average 1st down completion, or average yards per completion, you will see that we are closer to the middle of the pack.
    The yards per game is skewed because teams did pass more against us than run - primarily because it was easier to pass than run.
    That doesn't, however, necessarily mean that our pass defense was poor.
    It was not amazing by any stretch, but it simply wasn't the worst in the league either.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #26
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UTVikfan" wrote:
    On the Packers passing O/our passing D. I think Rodgers eyes will be opened Monday night. It is one thing to come in and play, when the team has game planned Favre. It is a whole different deal when they have gameplanned for your first start in the NFL.

    Was it Fitzpatrick from the Rams that lit a team up, coming in, then when game planned against, looked really average? My belief is, Aaron Rodgers is going to replace Eli as my favorite QB. Eli is always good for a few int's and 1-3 pick 6's. I think Rodgers will show him up.

    What I want to see, is EJ blitzing up the middle, cause he can bring a load of wood. If Pat and Kevin can't clear a path, no one can. New QB's especially, but any QB HATES pressure up the middle. I am hoping for at least two EJ clips on "Jacked up" if its still around.
    What I want to see is the front 4 getting to the QB without any blitzing and EJ just focusing on stopping the run and dropping back into coverage.
    I agree Marr.
    In fact, I think this will be the key to the game for us.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #27
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    Can you give us your breakdown of our coaching staff Vs their coaching staff?

  8. #28
    BleedinPandG is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    969

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UTVikfan" wrote:
    On the Packers passing O/our passing D. I think Rodgers eyes will be opened Monday night. It is one thing to come in and play, when the team has game planned Favre. It is a whole different deal when they have gameplanned for your first start in the NFL.

    Was it Fitzpatrick from the Rams that lit a team up, coming in, then when game planned against, looked really average? My belief is, Aaron Rodgers is going to replace Eli as my favorite QB. Eli is always good for a few int's and 1-3 pick 6's. I think Rodgers will show him up.

    What I want to see, is EJ blitzing up the middle, cause he can bring a load of wood. If Pat and Kevin can't clear a path, no one can. New QB's especially, but any QB HATES pressure up the middle. I am hoping for at least two EJ clips on "Jacked up" if its still around.
    What I want to see is the front 4 getting to the QB without any blitzing and EJ just focusing on stopping the run and dropping back into coverage.
    I agree Marr.
    In fact, I think this will be the key to the game for us.
    I believe the key will be our outside LBs stopping Grant from running against the edge.
    That would successfully slow down our edge rushers if they can start running or doing screens around them.
    I think a lot of pressure is going to be on Leber and Greenway to stop those outside/edge runs and the screen plays.
    Make GB either run up the middle (yeah, right) or throw real passes.
    I want to see AaRod forced to do 3 - 5 step drops and have to look down field.
    Lets see how good that clock is in his head.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

  9. #29
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Can you give us your breakdown of our coaching staff Vs their coaching staff?
    You lazy bastard!

    Yeah, and after that I would like to see a breakdown of the number of plays run to the left side versus the right side over the past 10 years and how the RG changeover influenced the playcalling and rushing yards in away vs home games in the NFCN.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  10. #30
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Can you give us your breakdown of our coaching staff Vs their coaching staff?
    I can, but you probably don't want to hear it.




    I think Mike McCarthy is a very, very good head coach.
    His ability to make in game adjustments is better than Childress's by a mile.
    And while I think that Coach Childress has come a LONG way in his first two years... he is not on the same level as MM yet.

    There are some things that Childress does better then MM though.
    I think Childress has better control of his team, and I think that he promotes a better attitude in the locker room.

    And I think that Childress will hoist a Lombardi trophy before McCarthy does...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NFL Draft Breakdown: team by team analysis
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 09:39 AM
  2. NodakPaul's Vikings-Colts analysis and breakdown
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 06:00 PM
  3. Impact Analysis: Baltimore Ravens QB breakdown
    By Marrdro in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 03:34 AM
  4. Vikings Draft Breakdown
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 01:46 PM
  5. Vikings-Giants Matchup/Breakdown
    By akvikefan89 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •