Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    duvaldomo is offline Coach

Re: NodakPaul's Vikings-Packers analysis and breakdown

I said CMD I said the same thing about giving the packers the edge on our pass defense with their pass offense but after reading it I agree with NP. We put the pressure on rodgers and he wont look so good.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"duvaldomo" wrote:
    I said CMD I said the same thing about giving the packers the edge on our pass defense with their pass offense but after reading it I agree with NP. We put the pressure on rodgers and he wont look so good.
    Eh... we hope. I'm just saying I need to see the results before I can call it a draw. I think the GB wideouts are pretty good. Hey, but I've never hoped so badly to be wrong!!!
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Update to my post... With Madieu out for the opener, the rookie Johnson will likely get the nod.
    Isn't Johnson a strong safety?
    Madieu is a Free Safety.
    Frampton will most likely start, won't he? Or did I miss something?

All these comments about our pass defense being last in the league is driving me nuts.
    Yes, we finished last in yardage, but we were first in pass attempts against us.
    We finished 16th (dead average) for passing TD's allowed, and if you consider yds/attempt, we finished 16th again.
    We have an average pass defense.
    The thing that skews the numbers is the fact that we faced so many more throws due to our fantastic run defense.
    (which btw, is probably #2, the ravens had a lower avg than us).

Our pass defense should improve with more experience in the secondary, and more of a rush up front.
    The Packers last year in two games threw the ball 91 times.
    That's insane.
    The main factor will be whether or not they are comfortable enough letting Rodgers throw 45 times in his first game.
    The first game should be a good test for our run defense.
    Ryan Grant, by the way, was the only rusher to break 100 yds on us last year.
    I don't see that happening again.

I like our odds.

HuffMental is offline Waterboy

Hey NDP -

First time poster here...
    Been checking it out this morning. Lots of intelligent posts and no personal vendettas or attention-seeking disorders that I can see. I was in search mode about Artis Hicks and Googled myself here, and am glad did. Nice place!

Just wanted to add to your excellent review. I think this game will be won or lost in the trenches, and all other facets will hence be affected. GB's line is in flux on both sides of the ball, particularly at OL. I studied their TC and preseason games closely, and I sleep better at night. They have big trouble at both RG and LG. They haven't had anyone step up and take jobs here; rather, they have been moving guys around and filling holes. They have looked really shaky to me thusfar, and Fudge fans are worried. No more Favre to cover up their mistakes. Time will tell if they pull their heads out, but in Game 1, I like our chances very much.

I could go into detail about Barbre, Colledge and Sitton and why they suck, but since this is my 1st post I will keep it short. I think Rogers and Grant will have lots of trouble getting into a rhythm and predict (hope) we will capitalize on this.

Thanks for having me.

Huff

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Vikings Passing Defense vs Packers Passing Offense
    Edge: None

For the Pack, Driver and Jennings can be difference makers, and even though Rodgers is new to the starting spot, this is his fourth year in the system.
    HOwever, the Packers OL is in a bad spot.
    Not only have they not given the QB any time so far in preseason, Scott Wells was also hampered by a torso injury throughout preseason.
    If he can't start, expect Spitz to continue to fill in at center.
    With the extent of Josh Sitton's knee injury still unknown, we could be looking at Barbre and Colledge as the two startign guards this year.
    If the OL was in better shape, the edge would go to the Packers here.
    But because of the OL, it is a tie.

On the Vikings side, I am not going to cite Minnesota's last place ranking in total passing yards last year because that stat is skewed by the run defense.
    Sharper and Madieu Williams are still learning to work with each other, and they haven't been on the field together a lot in the preseason.
    Griffin is looking better, but still needs some polishing at the CB position.
    Jared Allen will definitely bring the pressure, and will get at least one sack.
    The Vikings easily have one of the best DLs in the league, and that should translate into a much better passing defense.
    Why not?

It is what it is. Are not every other teams position in that ranking skewed by how good or bad their run defense is?

If a team has a poor run defense, but a good pass defense, teams will run the ball on them making their pass defense looking much better than what it is.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Nice work!
    I'm agreeing with the hard-nosed, won in the trenches type of game.
    Our DL should bring the pressure, distracting and frustrating their young QB(s) and I think that is the biggest thing going for us!!
    On the other side, they traded away Corey Williams, Jolly has a suspension looming too...for his codeine charges, and Harell hasn't been healthy...basically, I think our OL can dominate the middle of thier D, but they have really good LBs who might be able to make up for some of that...IF we get some good playcalling, starting off with some play action fakes and quick passes to spread them out and back them off some, our run game should be able to slowly but surely crush the life from them
    ;D
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Vikings Passing Defense vs Packers Passing Offense
    Edge: None

For the Pack, Driver and Jennings can be difference makers, and even though Rodgers is new to the starting spot, this is his fourth year in the system.
    HOwever, the Packers OL is in a bad spot.
    Not only have they not given the QB any time so far in preseason, Scott Wells was also hampered by a torso injury throughout preseason.
    If he can't start, expect Spitz to continue to fill in at center.
    With the extent of Josh Sitton's knee injury still unknown, we could be looking at Barbre and Colledge as the two startign guards this year.
    If the OL was in better shape, the edge would go to the Packers here.
    But because of the OL, it is a tie.

On the Vikings side, I am not going to cite Minnesota's last place ranking in total passing yards last year because that stat is skewed by the run defense.
    Sharper and Madieu Williams are still learning to work with each other, and they haven't been on the field together a lot in the preseason.
    Griffin is looking better, but still needs some polishing at the CB position.
    Jared Allen will definitely bring the pressure, and will get at least one sack.
    The Vikings easily have one of the best DLs in the league, and that should translate into a much better passing defense.
    Why not?

It is what it is. Are not every other teams position in that ranking skewed by how good or bad their run defense is?

If a team has a poor run defense, but a good pass defense, teams will run the ball on them making their pass defense looking much better than what it is.
    I agree with that point and as I look at it, I actually see it as teams didn't run against us because they knew they could pass against us and we couldn't stop them. Unless you want to grind out the clock it is nearly always more of an advantage to pass the ball than to run it if you can. The game against GB pretty much proved that it was possible to run against us. Maybe not right up the middle, but to the outside where Pat and Kevin were not as effective. Until we can pressure the QB's and tighten up our coverage teams will still throw against us because they can, not because they would rather run but we force them to.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

vikings are going to win and in a big way...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

This game will come down to Rodgers. He showed to sides in preseason. Will he be hot or cold? Our D line will frustrate him. I don't see us losing this game.

Nice breakdown Paul.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"HuffMental" wrote:
    Hey NDP -

First time poster here...
    Been checking it out this morning. Lots of intelligent posts and no personal vendettas or attention-seeking disorders that I can see. I was in search mode about Artis Hicks and Googled myself here, and am glad did. Nice place!

Just wanted to add to your excellent review. I think this game will be won or lost in the trenches, and all other facets will hence be affected. GB's line is in flux on both sides of the ball, particularly at OL. I studied their TC and preseason games closely, and I sleep better at night. They have big trouble at both RG and LG. They haven't had anyone step up and take jobs here; rather, they have been moving guys around and filling holes. They have looked really shaky to me thusfar, and Fudge fans are worried. No more Favre to cover up their mistakes. Time will tell if they pull their heads out, but in Game 1, I like our chances very much.

I could go into detail about Barbre, Colledge and Sitton and why they suck, but since this is my 1st post I will keep it short. I think Rogers and Grant will have lots of trouble getting into a rhythm and predict (hope) we will capitalize on this.

Thanks for having me.

Huff
    Excellent first post my friend.
    There has been a bit of optimism around here since Lord Dickhead left for good.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast